Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2013 12:58:14 PM EDT
I sent Senator Cornyn a clear pro-Second email and got this general vague statement in response:

"Thank you for contacting me regarding the horrific events in Newtown, Connecticut.  I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this tragedy.

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families as well as with all the citizens of Newtown who were affected by this tragedy.  On December 17, 2012, I joined my Senate colleagues in cosponsoring Senate Resolution 621 to honor the victims and heroes of the shooting.

It is a tragedy for the entire nation whenever a life is taken in an act of violence.  I share your concern for the safety of our children in their schools, and you may be certain that I will keep your views in mind as policy changes are considered in the coming weeks.  Now, we join with the families as they grieve the tragic loss of twenty children and their teachers, and we join together as a nation to honor their memories.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent Texas in the United States Senate.  Thank you for taking the time to contact me."

Nothing there that I do not agree with but no clearly stated support for the Second Amendment either.  If you have not yet contacted Senator Cornyn, please take the time to let him know our Second Amendment rights are not negotiable.
http://www.cornyn.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=ContactForm
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 1:04:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I just came here to post the same thing.  Same letter.

Although I certainly mourn for the specific victims in Connecticut, I don't necessarily agree that it's a "tragedy for the 'entire nation' any time a life is taken in an act of violence."  
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Expecting personalized replies give the volume of inbound mail, email, etc. is probably a bit much. One reply letter drafted vaguely enough to more or less fit the majority of contacts received.
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Same response for me too.

Link Posted: 1/3/2013 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone know where Pete Sessions stands? He is a RINO and voted for the latest fiscal cliff bill. Hard to believe he did that. I wonder where he stands on gun control.
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got a response from Rep. Burgess. He said we need mental health reform, not gun control.
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Wishy washy crap "response" from a politician. How much do you want to bet he'll cave just like many other spineless RINOs. I sent mine last week. Have yet to receive a response.
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I got the same response--Burgess' response was far superior.
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just came here to post the same thing.  Same letter.

Although I certainly mourn for the specific victims in Connecticut, I don't necessarily agree that it's a "tragedy for the 'entire nation' any time a life is taken in an act of violence."  

Agreed.
Sad so many died, not sad enough to take away my rights.

How about you offing reform our mental health laws instead of taking away my guns? All shooters have mental issues in mass shootings...Its damn near 90% proven.
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 3:27:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wishy washy crap "response" from a politician. How much do you want to bet he'll cave just like many other spineless RINOs. I sent mine last week. Have yet to receive a response.

Wrong damn state to pull that shit in. We will remember if he does and do our best to vote him out in 2014.

Link Posted: 1/3/2013 3:53:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Please take 10 minutes and write your elected officials.  That is the only way gun owners can win this fight.  The NRA has a great tool.  Just click on the link below and enter your zip code.  Then select the links to write all federal officials at once (and then do state).  It's a simple form you just fill out.  I did both email and mailed letter.  The email gets sent automatically and the mailed letter is available for you to print.  http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-locally/grassroots/write-your-reps.aspx

Here is my letter.  Feel free to copy:

The Honorable John Cornyn
United States Senate
517 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510‑4302

Re: Please fight any changes in federal gun laws

Senator Cornyn:

I am writing as a constituent to ask that you please represent your state and vigorously fight any changes in federal gun laws. Legally obtained and used firearms are not the problem when crime is considered and the study Ms. Feinstein cites even stated assault rifles are used in such a statistically insignificant number of murders so as to be irrelevant when it comes to calculating any change in murder rate as a result to the unconstitutional 1994 assault weapons ban. Ms Feinstein has twisted the results to meet her purpose when in fact the ban had no effect on crime. Crime rates dropped overall in that time period and the drop in gun crime was commensurate with that. That study again states that the assault weapon ban was statistically insignificant when considering the drop in gun crimes. All additional gun laws would do make it more difficult for law abiding citizens to protect themselves, as criminals don't follow current gun control legislation.

This all ignores the fact that the right to bear arms is protected by the 2nd amendment and gun laws should be left to the individual states to decide. The laws currently proposed are unconstitutional, onerous to law abiding citizens and will not stop criminals who use guns not obtained legally. There are too many gun laws on the books as it is and they do nothing to prevent an illegally obtained gun from being used in the commission of a crime. If anything the laws on the books should be enforced but no changes should be made.

Do not give in to the urge to compromise from the currently proposed laws to something less ridiculous than what Ms. Feinstein is proposing but more stringent than the laws currently on the books. I am a sportsman that also competes in 3 gun competitions and I have never committed a crime. There is no reason I should not be able to own an AR15 with a 30 round magazine for target shooting and competition. Taking that right from me will not stop crime whatsoever, it will just disarm law abiding citizens, creating more victims for criminals who do not follow the gun laws on the books.

Please fight to stop any senseless reactionary changes to gun laws.

Sincerely,
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I am told that a call to the rep's local office does more good than e-mail, anyway.  Supposedly they take a tally of the comments they receive on issues.  

I don't know if this is true, but the e-mail replies you receive from these guys are always weak and vague.
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#12]
sent a message, thanks for making it easy
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anyone know where Pete Sessions stands? He is a RINO and voted for the latest fiscal cliff bill. Hard to believe he did that. I wonder where he stands on gun control.

I would like to know the same for Thornberry as he too voted for the bill the other night.  I always thought he would be the last to vote for something like that.  His district is as red as they come.
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 10:04:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Send a sizable donation and he will listen more closely
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 4:19:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Letters, e-mails and doing what is right means nothing to lifetime politicians.

Cash in an envelope will get their attention.

Trust me.

Link Posted: 1/4/2013 6:34:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Here's is Senator Cruz's view:

• He’ll resist any effort to tighten gun laws in the wake of the tragedy in Newtown, Conn., in particular a bill from California Sen. Dianne Feinstein. "Gun registries have been used as a preface to confiscation,” Cruz said, arguing that the federal government should never be allowed to keep track of legally-owned firearms and their owners. "It’s a tragedy, but it’s not a tragedy that should be answered by restricting the constitutional rights of all Americans,” Cruz said.

The article goes on to say he's going to introduce a bill to repeal Obamacare.

Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:09:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Here's is Senator Cruz's view:

• He’ll resist any effort to tighten gun laws in the wake of the tragedy in Newtown, Conn., in particular a bill from California Sen. Dianne Feinstein. "Gun registries have been used as a preface to confiscation,” Cruz said, arguing that the federal government should never be allowed to keep track of legally-owned firearms and their owners. "It’s a tragedy, but it’s not a tragedy that should be answered by restricting the constitutional rights of all Americans,” Cruz said.
The article goes on to say he's going to introduce a bill to repeal Obamacare.

Now that is a response
I have contacted Senator Cornyn's office about a few previous issues and have received the standard response as posted here.
I contacted him about the current Attorney General and his involvement in running guns to Mexico and in response I
was put on his e-mail list .
His recent E-mail suggested that the current Attorney General must go and I agree but alas he sits in office dug in tighter than an Alabama tick and we are left with big smiles on our faces .
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 8:07:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Has anyone contacted Kevin Brady ( 8th District ) and got a response yet? I sent letters out yesterday and was just curious if anyone has contacted him yet.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 11:05:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I got the same exact response from Cornyn.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 9:41:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I will send a sizable donation to his next opponent if he doesn't listen closely.  I have told him this by email, phone, and mail.

I pay for good performance and use $$ to punish poor performance.  So far, his performance has been POOR.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I too got the same cookie cutter response from Cornyn.  I wrote back asking for his actual stance on gun control.  We'll see what happens.

I got a better response from Rep. John Carter.  But only by a little bit.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 4:31:13 AM EDT
[#22]
I also wrote Senator Cornyn back and asked for some clarification on his reply.  Hopefully, we will get a good response.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:27:42 AM EDT
[#23]
I have heard that phone calls carry a lot more weight than emails or letters.

Does anyone know if that is true?
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#24]
My letter to Senator Cornyn:

Senator Cornyn, Please stand with the majority of Texans and the majority of Americans in the fight against revoking our basest freedom, the right to bear arms.

The second amendment, like the first, is not in place for protecting every day, common, non-threatening things. The first amendment isn't needed to protect, "Have a nice day." It's there to protect incendiary speech in criticism of the government. Like the first amendment, the second amendment is not in place to protect hunting rifles and target pistols. It is there to ensure the people’s ability to secure the free state.

Read: A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the SECURITY OF A FREE STATE, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

It states nothing about the right of the militia, and states nothing about hunting, target practice or competitive shooting. It's strictly about assuring the security of freedom against any that would revoke it, including our own government. Please protect our freedom from all enemies, both foreign and domestic.

Thank you!

phideaux_2003
A loyal Sen. Cornyn supporter.

Just sent the same letter to Cruz and my representitive.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 9:47:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have heard that phone calls carry a lot more weight than emails or letters.

Does anyone know if that is true?

I have always heard just the opposite.  Snail mail carries the most weight, followed by E mails and phone calls.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2013 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Been stationed here in Texas for the last 4 years but am a resident of LA so my letters went there but incase anyone was interested here is the response I got from one of the LA Senators. I'm still waiting on my Rep and other Senator to respond.

Dear Mr. Bauer:

My prayers and greatest sympathy go out to the families and community of Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut, and to all families that have been affected by gun violence.  On December 14, 2012, twenty-seven innocent lives were taken from us in a heartbreaking tragedy.  As the nation grieves over this senseless act of violence, it is more important than ever that we come together to address the issues affecting American communities.

The Second Amendment to the Constitution guarantees the rights of all Americans to own and possess guns. While preserving the rights of honest gun collectors, sportsmen and owners who possess firearms for traditionally lawful purposes, we must also continue to ensure that we protect innocent unarmed citizens.  I am sure you can agree - like any right guaranteed to a free people, the right to bear arms must be exercised responsibly.

Unfortunately, in the past year, we have seen instances where this right has been abused in tragic fashion.  The theater shooting in Aurora, CO, the Sikh temple shooting in Oak Creek, WI, and the school shooting in Newtown, CT, were terrible and unnecessary tragedies.  Occurrences such as these remind me of the important role that government plays in upholding statutes that aim to limit such tragedies.

We must do more to target the causes of mental illness and determine the most effective ways to treat it.  I support and will continue to strongly advocate for expanded and improved mental health coverage so that the mentally ill can obtain adequate treatment to not only overcome their struggles, but to lead more productive and fulfilling lives.

I also support strict adherence of federally licensed firearms dealers to the requirements laid out in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). The NICS determines the eligibility of an individual to purchase a firearm and explicitly prohibits those who have been legally determined to be mentally ill or committed to a mental institution from purchasing any weapons.

Currently, there is no gun control legislation scheduled for a vote.  However, I believe that when evaluating future proposals, we must find a balanced way to address the safety of American citizens while ensuring Second Amendment rights granted under the Constitution.  Please be assured that I value your input and will keep it in mind as we continue to address this issue in the 113th Congress.

I appreciate hearing from you on this matter, and I trust that you will continue to contact me on matters of mutual concern. Please feel free to visit my website at http://landrieu.senate.gov for more information on my legislative priorities.

With warm regards, I am
Sincerely,

Mary Landrieu
United States Senator

It doesn't look terrible but then again I don't ever really belive what they say cause they say one thing and do another daily.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 1:07:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm subscribed to my congressman's online newsletter and he's against any more new gun laws and wants to see more done with Mental Health care reforms. Mac Thornberry,13th District
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#28]
If you think a visit to Sen Cornyn's office in Dallas would get some results ill be glad to make an appointment to meet with his local staff to get a feel for where the Senator is at on this. I suspect his staff will give a good answer in person.

Writer
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Mary Landrieu
United States Senator

It doesn't look terrible but then again I don't ever really belive what they say cause they say one thing and do another daily.

She is one of the POS's that sold her vote for Obamacare. I would not count on her sorry democratic ass to do anything but sell out again! She will do exactly what Barry and Harry want her to do!

She is up again for re-election in 2014 and that might be the only thing that would keep her from voting against anything to do with the 2nd amendment. You should write her again and remind her of that!

Link Posted: 1/7/2013 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mary Landrieu
United States Senator

She is one of the POS's that sold her vote for Obamacare. I would not count on her sorry democratic ass to do anything but sell out again! She will do exactly what Barry and Harry want her to do!

She is up again for re-election in 2014 and that might be the only thing that would keep her from voting against anything to do with the 2nd amendment. You should write her again and remind her of that!

I will probably end up doing that very soon. I have never been a fan of hers she has always been a piece of FOD as far as I'm concerned.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#31]
It's time to get in contact with every representative
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 8:48:58 PM EDT
[#32]
In case you missed it in GD:

Texas A.G. Abbott: I'll Go to Court to Block Any Congressional Gun Ban

Congress may be ramping up to consider gun restrictions in the wake of the Connecticut school shooting, but Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott says the proposals being discussed now are unconstitutional, and he says he will ask the courts to throw them out if they are approved, 1200 WOAI news reports.

"I've been to the Supreme Court twice," Abbott said in an interview with 1200 WOAI's Joe Pags..  "I can tell you that these laws that try to restrict our gun rights violate the Second Amendment guarantee of the right to keep and bear arms.  The U.S. Supreme Court has spoken on this issue twice."

More here: http://radio.woai.com/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=119078&article=10672432

Link Posted: 1/8/2013 12:36:21 AM EDT
[#33]
GUYS,

you need to CALL these people's offices, local or DC..

a call carries 10.000 times the weight of letters or emails..This is directly from the mouth of 6 Representatives and Senators I've meet with personally...
Tell your friends and family.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
GUYS,

you need to CALL these people's offices, local or DC..

a call carries 10.000 times the weight of letters or emails..This is directly from the mouth of 6 Representatives and Senators I've meet with personally...
Tell your friends and family.

I have never heard that before.  I was always told:
Written letter< E mail,< Phone call <

NRA ILA Guidelines
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I just got a response from Rep. Burgess. He said we need mental health reform, not gun control.

I know the man personally.  He won't give in to the gun control nazis.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:10:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Anyone get a response from Senator Cornyn?  I haven't even received another identical form letter to my follow-up.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Anyone get a response from Senator Cornyn?  I haven't even received another identical form letter to my follow-up.

I've sent 4 e-mails and have not gotten a reply to any of them.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Cornyn responds with updated, less wishy-washy form letter response:
Source

Thank you for contacting me regarding federal firearms laws. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter.

As a strong proponent of the Second Amendment, I believe it is essential to safeguard the law-abiding citizen's constitutional right to own and use firearms designed for legitimate purposes such as hunting, target shooting, collecting, and self-protection. Restricting this right runs counter to the intent of our Founding Fathers, who expressly guaranteed that citizens would retain the right to keep and bear arms.

It is encouraging that the Supreme Court has upheld the will of our Founders and re-affirmed the ideals our country was established upon. The Supreme Court's decision in District of Columbia v. Heller provides a greater guarantee that Americans' Constitutional rights remain secure from federal government intrusion. I was proud to sign an amicus brief to the Supreme Court in that case stating an individual’s right to bear arms is fundamental. This historic ruling continues to have implications far beyond the District of Columbia. In 2010, the Supreme Court decided in McDonald v. City of Chicago to strike down the arbitrary gun ban in Chicago—and thereby affirm that the Second Amendment safeguards against state and local encroachments on the fundamental right to keep and bear arms.

As a former Texas Supreme Court Justice and Attorney General, I have firsthand knowledge of crime-fighting policies that work, and I believe that citizens' Second Amendment rights should not be restricted because of the actions of criminals. Rather, we must focus our attention on the source of violent crime: criminals who use firearms to commit crimes. I believe that strictly enforcing the law—and meting out tougher sentences for career criminals and those who use firearms when committing crimes—will reduce crime more effectively than gun or equipment bans, which primarily serve to take firearms away from law-abiding citizens.

I appreciate the opportunity to represent Texans in the United States Senate, and you may be certain that I will continue working with my colleagues to protect our Second Amendment rights. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,
JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 4:48:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Strong pro 2A response from Cornyn posted above and in GD. Much better than his earlier stuff. Maybe we are getting our message across.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Yeah,I received that same response from Den.Cornyn today. Looks like he might have seen the light.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Yeah I saw the news on this too.  That guy really needs to get his ass kicked out of office in the primaries with a Ted Cruz type candidate.  The fact that it took this piece of shit, Perry/Dewhurt rino this long to stand his ground on protecting our rights is absurd.  But of course he comes from the long line of good ol' boys clubs down in Austin during his AG days.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yeah,I received that same response from Den.Cornyn today. Looks like he might have seen the light.

Well, he's certainly heard from enough lately.

Link Posted: 1/25/2013 6:40:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Cornyn responds with updated, less washy-washy form letter response:
Source

Thank you for contacting me regarding federal firearms laws. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter.

As a strong proponent of the Second Amendment, I believe it is essential to safeguard the law-abiding citizen's constitutional right to own and use firearms designed for legitimate purposes such as hunting, target shooting, collecting, and self-protection. Restricting this right runs counter to the intent of our Founding Fathers, who expressly guaranteed that citizens would retain the right to keep and bear arms.

It is encouraging that the Supreme Court has upheld the will of our Founders and re-affirmed the ideals our country was established upon. The Supreme Court's decision in District of Columbia v. Heller provides a greater guarantee that Americans' Constitutional rights remain secure from federal government intrusion. I was proud to sign an amicus brief to the Supreme Court in that case stating an individual’s right to bear arms is fundamental. This historic ruling continues to have implications far beyond the District of Columbia. In 2010, the Supreme Court decided in McDonald v. City of Chicago to strike down the arbitrary gun ban in Chicago—and thereby affirm that the Second Amendment safeguards against state and local encroachments on the fundamental right to keep and bear arms.

As a former Texas Supreme Court Justice and Attorney General, I have firsthand knowledge of crime-fighting policies that work, and I believe that citizens' Second Amendment rights should not be restricted because of the actions of criminals. Rather, we must focus our attention on the source of violent crime: criminals who use firearms to commit crimes. I believe that strictly enforcing the law—and meting out tougher sentences for career criminals and those who use firearms when committing crimes—will reduce crime more effectively than gun or equipment bans, which primarily serve to take firearms away from law-abiding citizens.

I appreciate the opportunity to represent Texans in the United States Senate, and you may be certain that I will continue working with my colleagues to protect our Second Amendment rights. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,
JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

Mealy mouthed response typical of Senator Cornyn .
In other words , he is unwilling to state facts or opinion simply and directly .
What does he mean exactly by guns  designed for legitimate purpose
He and his fellow politicians shall decide what firearms the people shall have
Link Posted: 1/26/2013 7:57:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Senator Cornyn doesn't always give the solid response I would like; but he did help get Sen. Cruz a seat on the Judiciary committee, gave up his seat on the influential Armed Services Committee to Sen. Cruz, and has gotten Sen. Cruz named Vice-Chair of the National Republican Senatorial Committee.  So in addition to a consistent pro-RKBA record, he is doing his level best to put a man who appears to be a Second Amendment true believer in a position of real power.  Not to mention that Cornyn himself is now the Senate Whip.

I'd rather have John Cornyn as Senate Whip than whoever he would be replaced by if a freshman Senator got his job.  I am concerned his replacement might be less pro-Second and from a state where we don't have as much influence.
Link Posted: 1/26/2013 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#45]
I dont trust Johnny boy as far as i can throw him. He sold us out on the fiscal cliff and then brags on facebook about how the Dallas Morning News calls him a "leader" for his vote. Meanwhile all his constituents are floored and telling him he sold us down the river. He barely got my vote last time but this time he will not get it again.

I hope i am wrong but if i am a betting man, he will cave.
Link Posted: 1/26/2013 3:20:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Well if Tom Coburn is going along with universal background checks, I don't have a lot of hope for Sen. Cornyn... Hell, I'm not even sure about Sen. Cruz at this point.
Link Posted: 1/26/2013 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Strong pro 2A response from Cornyn posted above and in GD. Much better than his earlier stuff. Maybe we are getting our message across.

DON'T PUSSY-FOOT AROUND.........REMEMBER THE ALAMO
Link Posted: 1/27/2013 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I got the same exact response from Cornyn.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top