Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2012 11:23:33 AM EDT
HR sent me a bunch of resumes for interns, usually an MIP or PI might pop up in their background checks which is no big deal but one has a "st sn" misdemeanor on his record that he was given 30 days probation or a 30 probated sentence for. I was wondering what "st sn" stands for. Only thing some other guy I work with could think of is street solicitation? He did not list it on his application and he got a dismissal after completion of his probation. Just wondering what it might be. HR chicks have no idea either.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.amerusa.net/resource_documents/CriminalRecordAbbreviations.pdf

says here running a stop sign.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 3:38:03 PM EDT
[#2]
"HR chicks"  nice
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Ha! How in the world do you end up with a stop sign charge and end up in the Dallas county lockup.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha! How in the world do you end up with a stop sign charge and end up in the Dallas county lockup.

DWB?
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got mouthy with the cop?
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#6]
you can be arrested for a traffic violation in texas. Its called being "instantered"

essentially, when you sign the citation, you are being charged with an arrestable offense for which i can immediately arrest you for and bring you to a judge or if the judge isnt available, take you to jail overnight and bring you to the judge in the morning.

Instead of arresting you on the spot for running the stop sign, i can issue a citation and make you sign the bottom. sign the bottom is basically the same as you bonding out of jail, but you do it on the side of the road.

Signing the citation on the side of the road is called being issued a "personal recognizance bond". Meaning that you are signing the citation to show that you are aware of your charge, and are willing to attend court on a said date. Instead of bonding out with cash to insure that you will come to court to get your money back, by signing you are giving your GOOD WORD AND OATH AS A MAN. Its kind of an old school concept thats gone to the wayside in our society....

If you sign the ticket and dont show up to court, that makes you a dirty liar and townfolk wont sell you any cows or saddles or make deals with you anymore based on your word and a handshake because you didnt keep your word when you signed that citation.

Thats basically the whole history of traffic citations right there.

Its possible that he ran a stop sign and was handed a citation by the officer to sign and refused to sign the ticket, basically refusing to appear in court on a set date. So as a result, the officer immediately arrested him and brought him straight to the judge to answer for his stop sign running.

Like i said, it may have gone down completely different from this. Honestly i have no clue why he went to jail for running a stop sign, but i will say that if he argued with a cop enough and refused to sign the ticket so insistently that he got himself arrested, he is SUPER FREAKING STUPID.

In 4 years of cop-ing and writing thousands of tickets, i dealt with more than a few A-holes but i never had to instanter a single person for refusing to sign the ticket.

I did have to go into this story with quite a few of them to make them understand what was coming if they didnt sign.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#7]
^ Hmmm, so I guess it's not one of those deals where he used daddy's money to plea down from a DUI to something like obstruction of the roadway. The record check says he paid $200 fine plus $200 court costs, hired a lawyer and made a handful of court appearances over 4 months for it. Weird stuff. I wonder now if this is one of those deals where he was racing or being chased by the police and they cut a deal to only charge him with a stop sign so that he "won't ruin his life by a youthful mistake" or something.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 8:49:51 PM EDT
[#8]
So it actually says that he was arrested?
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 9:51:10 PM EDT
[#9]
This cracks me up.  Here you are looking up this guys ass for some low or no paying intern job.    

This is one of the reasons I do contract work, screw HR and all their stupid rules.    I have access to sales and finance records at world wide company's that supply you products every day.  I will not allow a credit check, background check, medical check or any other check.    Here are my references and if you want you can call them, but the rest is non of your business.  

What I do in my non work life is non of their business.   Hell If I want to spend my money on hookers and blow, and I can do my job the next day at work, then it's none of their business.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 10:06:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This cracks me up.  Here you are looking up this guys ass for some low or no paying intern job.    

This is one of the reasons I do contract work, screw HR and all their stupid rules.    I have access to sales and finance records at world wide company's that supply you products every day.  I will not allow a credit check, background check, medical check or any other check.    Here are my references and if you want you can call them, but the rest is non of your business.  

What I do in my non work life is non of their business.   Hell If I want to spend my money on hookers and blow, and I can do my job the next day at work, then it's none of their business.

Link Posted: 6/12/2012 4:38:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I think the pay is $22 an hour, 16 hours minimum per week with a max of 28 hours a week. $750 sign-on bonus and at the conclusion another $750. Most of that $750 on the front and backends are basically sucked up by clothing and incidental expenses. The exit interviews at the end of the internship often include a job offer.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:08:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
you can be arrested for a traffic violation in texas. Its called being "instantered"

essentially, when you sign the citation, you are being charged with an arrestable offense for which i can immediately arrest you for and bring you to a judge or if the judge isnt available, take you to jail overnight and bring you to the judge in the morning.

Instead of arresting you on the spot for running the stop sign, i can issue a citation and make you sign the bottom. sign the bottom is basically the same as you bonding out of jail, but you do it on the side of the road.

Signing the citation on the side of the road is called being issued a "personal recognizance bond". Meaning that you are signing the citation to show that you are aware of your charge, and are willing to attend court on a said date. Instead of bonding out with cash to insure that you will come to court to get your money back, by signing you are giving your GOOD WORD AND OATH AS A MAN. Its kind of an old school concept thats gone to the wayside in our society....

If you sign the ticket and dont show up to court, that makes you a dirty liar and townfolk wont sell you any cows or saddles or make deals with you anymore based on your word and a handshake because you didnt keep your word when you signed that citation.

Thats basically the whole history of traffic citations right there.

Its possible that he ran a stop sign and was handed a citation by the officer to sign and refused to sign the ticket, basically refusing to appear in court on a set date. So as a result, the officer immediately arrested him and brought him straight to the judge to answer for his stop sign running.

Like i said, it may have gone down completely different from this. Honestly i have no clue why he went to jail for running a stop sign, but i will say that if he argued with a cop enough and refused to sign the ticket so insistently that he got himself arrested, he is SUPER FREAKING STUPID.

In 4 years of cop-ing and writing thousands of tickets, i dealt with more than a few A-holes but i never had to instanter a single person for refusing to sign the ticket.

I did have to go into this story with quite a few of them to make them understand what was coming if they didnt sign.

Or could it have been he got a ticket didn't show up and got a warrant and then got arrested and had to go through the whole ordeal?  That makes a lot of sense above but it still not going to show up on your background like that unless he had a warrant and went that direction.  Same concept but one involves spending a little more time in jail.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:17:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So...how many hookers you got in the trunk?
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:27:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I agree with some of that to a certain extent. When I worked for DHS, I got treated like shit for the whole hiring process, background check, etc., they got every place I had lived and worked since the day I was born, interviewed neighbors, friends, prior places of work, physical, felt my nutsuck, etc., mountains of paperwork, finger prints, photographs, credit checks.

All this for a job that started at $28k/year.

After five years, I left and went to work in the family business.

Then my daughter's public school contacts me and wants me to be a chaperon for some event.

They send a packet for a background check AND want me to attend a 4 hour class for how to interact with students.

Screw it, life is too short.

Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:34:50 AM EDT
[#15]
You don't have a "handful of court appearances" or a 30 day probated sentence for just a stop sign violation. I've seen quite a few warrants for failure to stop at a stop sign and they were never abbreviated like that. Besides, a stop sign violation is a Class C misdemeanor which is a offense punishable by a fine only, no jail time. More than likely the offense was a Class B (or A) misdemeanor.

Link Posted: 6/12/2012 6:37:30 AM EDT
[#16]
All in all, it sounds like you just need to go to the next intern on the list.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 7:53:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I .

I've had three or four. However we can't call them on it. County wont take our Class-C signature refusals.

The last one was a 76 year old women who I cited for fail to yield, turning left.  She turned left in front of a motorcyclist, who crashed into the side of her Crown Victoria.  She was sitting in an ambulance being evaluated. I tossed her copy on her lap and told her she was still served with the citation and I would come to her house and arrest her on her court date at 501PM after court if she didn't appear.

As far as I know she appeared :)

The others, have been normal traffic contacts from screwball " I am immune from government " nonsense that one would expect.  Some of them, since their window is open I just flick it into their car and tell them they've still been served the summons and will be issued Fail to appear warrants.  The others that roll up their windows and refuse, I  just tell them to leave and that they will end up with a warrant in a couple weeks.  I really don't care much, since I can't do much about it anyways.  Our paths will cross again, eventually and you'll pay later.

Link Posted: 6/12/2012 8:04:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You don't have a "handful of court appearances" or a 30 day probated sentence for just a stop sign violation. I've seen quite a few warrants for failure to stop at a stop sign and they were never abbreviated like that. Besides, a stop sign violation is a Class C misdemeanor which is a offense punishable by a fine only, no jail time. More than likely the offense was a Class B (or A) misdemeanor.

I agree with this guy, it it involved a probated jail sentance and the jail wasnt for failure to appear or contempt of court for not showing up regarding the original ticket, then its a strong possibility that this was a more serious charge that got reduced.

Basically, theres a million different scenarios, and any one of them could be right.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 11:00:52 AM EDT
[#19]
His resume was circular filed yesterday afternoon. This is for fall internships and they often apply with 5-6 different places. Our office in the past was really not all that attractive to interns since the work here is not glamorous, it's basically forensic accounting. I tell people that and I see their eyes glaze over like they are watching paint dry or grass grow.

Many interns in the past would rather work somewhere else thats "fun". Since the economy soured, they now flock to us since coming on board and making it through a semester of internship almost always leads to a very good paying job.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#20]
With the number of applications y'all are likely to get for any kind of internship these days, there is no reason to pick anyone who isn't a perfect candidate.  As rough as the job market is anymore, I'd be very reluctant to hire a recent grad for most positions if they didn't at least have some good solid internship experience.  Frankly though, I wouldn't hire anyone without 3-5 years experience right now because the job market is such that you can get someone with experience for what you used to have to pay for someone fresh out of college...  or less.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Honestly, from a libertarian point of view, if you want to do hookers and blow on your days off, I don't really care as long as it doesn't effect me in some way. However, I wouldn't want to employ you because people that do hookers and blow on their days off aren't stable people or employees. THAT is why businesses do bg checks, etc.

Link Posted: 6/12/2012 2:00:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Unless you want to work where I do and it requires a security clearance and random drug testing!  Although, to each their own...I woun't tell you how to live your life! ;-)
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Honestly, from a libertarian point of view, if you want to do hookers and blow on your days off, I don't really care as long as it doesn't effect me in some way. However, I wouldn't want to employ you because people that do hookers and blow on their days off aren't stable people or employees. THAT is why businesses do bg checks, etc.

Unless he's interning at the state capital in which case he better be up on hookers and blow.  

Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

essentially, when you sign the citation, you are being charged with an arrestable offense for which i can immediately arrest you for and bring you to a judge or if the judge isn't available, take you to jail overnight and bring you to the judge in the morning.

Signing the citation on the side of the road is called being issued a "personal recognizance bond". Meaning that you are signing the citation to show that you are aware of your charge, and are willing to attend court on a said date. Instead of bonding out with cash to insure that you will come to court to get your money back, by signing you are giving your GOOD WORD AND OATH AS A MAN. Its kind of an old school concept that's gone to the wayside in our society....

If you sign the ticket and don't show up to court, that makes you a dirty liar and townfolk wont sell you any cows or saddles or make deals with you anymore based on your word and a handshake because you didn't keep your word when you signed that citation.

That's basically the whole history of traffic citations right there.

It's possible that he ran a stop sign and was handed a citation by the officer to sign and refused to sign the ticket, basically refusing to appear in court on a set date. So as a result, the officer immediately arrested him and brought him straight to the judge to answer for his stop sign running.

I did have to go into this story with quite a few of them to make them understand what was coming if they didn't sign.

interesting, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 3:04:35 AM EDT
[#25]
How much does the "bookers and blow" internship pay?
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 5:20:27 AM EDT
[#26]
New employees we hire out of school are encouraged to get their CPA, CFM, CMA, EA, CIA licenses and the company will reimburse for all of it. In order to get most of those licenses and certifications one needs a squeaky clean criminal and civil record. Pretty much. A MIP or PI in college won't hurt you but anything else will. You also have to think especially in auditing, how good an employee would be on a witness stand if they were dragged into testify in court.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 11:10:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How much does the "bookers and blow" internship pay?

I want to know as well.  Hell, I'm not greedy you can keep the blow.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top