Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2011 5:36:11 PM EDT
The Zebra mussels infestation isn't exactly new news, but there was some new info in the Frisco town hall meeting tonight.  I tried to get some notes for any fellow North Texas Municipal Water District folks that will also be affected -  If anyone finds errors in my notes please correct below!

• We were told to expect STAGE 3 by November (lake at < 45% capacity - watering restricted to two times a month) and if the lake drops much lower we'll hit STAGE 4 (supply at < 35% capacity - no outdoor watering).   Exceptions are made for foundation watering with soaker hoses and limited hand watering of trees.  Frisco is asking all residents to go the extra step and goto STAGE 4 by shutting off their sprinkler systems until further notice.

• Conservation will not salvage our current situation.  Basic water needs will out demand the current supply by next year.  Current weather patterns for next year are not expected to bring enough rainfall to remedy this issue (El Niño).  

• They are looking to extend the Lake Texoma water supply pipeline directly to the Wylie water treatment center by redirecting the current feed to Lavon.  Water rates should not expected to increase this fiscal year, but potentially a 30% increase is on the horizon to fund the 46 mile pipeline to Wylie.
  •  

Q&A
  • Q.  Zebra mussles never go away, what is the plan to treat the supply or is it a write off?
     A.  Confirmed by N Tx Municipal Water District representative.  No solution available for existing infestation, thus the need to re-route the Texoma supply directly to Wylie treatment plant.

• Q.  What restrictions are on Commercial Buildings?
      A.  Commercial if using city water have the same restrictions.  If private source (own reservoir or well) they have no restrictions.

• Q.  (variations of this Q) Will there be in increase of monitoring (patrols) to identify offenders that are watering outside allowed times/days or have broken sprinklers wasting H2O?
     A.    Yes

• Q.  Why don't we start the rate increases now instead of later?
      A.   No answer given by the Mayor...

Exide Plant
EPA reps and TCEQ reps issued opinion that the initial plan proposed for Exide will not meet new standards (lead in airborne form) issued this August.   New/additional requirements are needed to meet new standards.     Basically nothing of value was given on this topic.  I'm not clear on why they even bothered bringing it up..

• Q.  How does freedom of information apply to the city.  Citizens had asked about zoning information at the Exide plant and were denied the information, but a reporter was given the info.
      A.  Dance Dance  Revolution - no real answer was given.

Link Posted: 10/17/2011 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I heard about this last week, the nursery industry is gonna be tough if it extends through next summer.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Dallas Water will also be under a restriction until the end of next summer at best.  This is due to capital projects which will reduce the capacity at the largest plant to 1/3-1/2 full capacity.

Some relief to N. TX will happen when the problems at the new Lake Fork Pump Station are corrected, but Lake fork is kinda low too.

The zebra mussels infestation will cause problems with the raw water pipelines.  All the local purification facilities are going to an ozone disinfection system and can no longer add chlorine to the raw water as it will damage the piping and components of the ozone system.

mm
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 9:13:41 PM EDT
[#3]
The correct spelling of Wiley is Wylie  - grew up there

Sounds like a real mess.  So is there any way to REALLY stop these zebra mussel things?  Or is it only going to delay the inevitable?  Haven't heard much about them.  Down in South Texas we can't pump as much water as we need to because of the damn, non-native, endangered Snail Darter.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 10:13:06 PM EDT
[#4]
How long out till Fastrill/Fistrill Reservoir is up?

Also, I believe we are in La Nina, not El Nino.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 3:07:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Zebra mussels have sure cleaned up Lake Texoma. I've never seen the water as clear and blue as it is now. Well, not now with the algae, but now as in earlier .
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 6:57:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Lake Fastrill is a no-go.  Supreme Court decided it should be a wildlife management area last Feb.  Lake Fastrill wasn't even supposed to be up until 2060.

mm

Link Posted: 10/18/2011 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lake Fastrill is a no-go.  Supreme Court decided it should be a wildlife management area last Feb.  Lake Fastrill wasn't even supposed to be up until 2060.

mm

Perhaps I have confused the names.  There's a reservoir that is due to come on line soon, up past Cooper.  Fastrill was the one on the Sabine in East Texas, was it not?

Link Posted: 10/18/2011 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

mm

Perhaps I have confused the names.  There's a reservoir that is due to come on line soon, up past Cooper.  Fastrill was the one on the Sabine in East Texas, was it not?

near jacksonville.

There is supposedly one going up near the tx/ok border, part of the red river system.  Lemme check some stuff...I've been moved to maintenance and technological hazards.

mm

Link Posted: 10/18/2011 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#9]
http://www.ntmwd.com/bois_dArc.html

Last time I visited the office they have acquired 95% of the land needed and have began the surveying process. Basically they are just going to dam boisdarc creek for those familiar with the area.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Are Zebra Mussels edible?
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Are Zebra Mussels edible?

They're pretty small, and it's not recommended you eat them.

mm
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 3:12:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sounds like a real mess.  So is there any way to REALLY stop these zebra mussel things?  Or is it only going to delay the inevitable?  Haven't heard much about them.  Down in South Texas we can't pump as much water as we need to because of the damn, non-native, endangered Snail Darter.

Fixed it - Thanks!

I should have caught that myself.   Was out there regularly in the late 80s.   Cute waitress at Sonny's  
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it - Thanks!

I should have caught that myself.   Was out there regularly in the late 80s.   Cute waitress at Sonny's  

I can't imagine you ever being a cute waitress at Sonny's or anywhere else....even it was the 80's.

mm
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 2:48:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Exactly what is the deal with the Zebra mussels?  Are they protected or do the mussels clog up pumping equipment and pipes?
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 4:35:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Exactly what is the deal with the Zebra mussels?  Are they protected or do the mussels clog up pumping equipment and pipes?

Clog them up, they are very prolific and glue themselves to just about anything solid they can reach. Not protected, they are an invasive species.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top