Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2011 8:20:03 PM EDT
I'm going to be in the Corpus area for the next month or two for work, I've never been to the area or even to the beach as it would be; so tell me what I should check out.

I'll hopefully have a few hours free per week to see some of the sights but I won't have any day time hours off, only evening and night.

Any museums, bars, or restaurants to check out? What beach should I head to, anything I need to know about going to the beach, it'll be my first time.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as restaurants, If you like asian try Hu-dat over on Staples and Saratoga.  Seafood, try either RailRoad Seafood, Water Street, or Landrys which are all downtown.  
They have several bars downtown around Water street.  Hooters on SPID.

If you go to the beach on the island, my favorite spot is once you get to the island (take SPID East) you'll see a stripes on your left at a redlight.  Go down to the first access road and thats a hot spot near the pier.  Or go down to the second stripes, take a left, go down to where you see hotels to your left and park in the parking lot next to the Holiday Inn.  It has bathrooms, showers, etc there.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 11:25:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy a fishing lic.

Buy a fishing pole.

Buy some live / fresh dead shrimp.

Go to one of the many piers in the area.

FISH

Much FUN.

Or you could pick up some local chicks and have FUN.

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 5:42:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the suggestions so far. The fishing seems like a good way to spend an evening with a 6 pack.

I'm leaving tomorrow, really looking forward to checking the place out but hate being away from home.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 6:16:02 AM EDT
[#4]
There are a few of us that are pretty close to corpus.  Get in touch with some of us for a beer if you'd like.

As far as entertainment, there are quite a few bars/clubs in the downtown area as well as on the south side.  The beach is fun.  Any idea where you're going to be staying?

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 6:26:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There are a few of us that are pretty close to corpus.  Get in touch with some of us for a beer if you'd like.

As far as entertainment, there are quite a few bars/clubs in the downtown area as well as on the south side.  The beach is fun.  Any idea where you're going to be staying?

The first few nights I'll be in Kingsville, then we will move to probably just North of Corpus. I'm doing some pipeline work on 6 different lines in the area so I'm constantly moving but I'll be in the area for the next few months.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:17:20 AM EDT
[#6]
http://www.brewsterstreet.net/wiki/BST/Events

the kyle park concerts should be interesting

go see the lexington and eat next to it at pier 99

a few of us are in sinton, about 30 miles north or corpus
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 8:38:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Get shanked, eat tacos.  

Fishing, visit the Lexington (aircraft carrier), aquarium, a few other things.  

Water Street is decent seafood, Blackbeards on north beach and Snoopy's is better.  

Fors the beach take the above advice and go to the island.  Bring lots of water and sunscreen, its hot as hell right now.  And watch yourself, these crazy bastards drive on the beach here.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Visit the Lexington, eat at Landrys sea food, fish, visit mustang island and N. Padre Island (if you like the beach). The aquarium is nice.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Good grief, how do you people eat at Landrys, the building is cool but the food is one small but very expensive step above Red Lobster.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:33:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Kingsville.

Worst 3 years of my life,

There are a few bars there, "The County Luau" is one of the local hang outs for the college kids in town (Texas A&M).  Worth checking it out.  

Link Posted: 8/7/2011 4:25:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I actually just drove in today from Denver, I got a job at the airbase there in Kingsville, staying at a hotel right now, going to go look for a rental house next weekend in Corpus.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I actually just drove in today from Denver, I got a job at the airbase there in Kingsville, staying at a hotel right now, going to go look for a rental house next weekend in Corpus.

Are you going to drive from CC to kingsville every day?
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a 30 minute drive if you know the back roads.  

Link Posted: 8/7/2011 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a 30 minute drive if you know the back roads.  

i did sinton to kingsville every day for 4.5 years in 45, i'd think it'd be less than 30 from corpus.  30 from annaville maybe...

Link Posted: 8/7/2011 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I am going to do the drive everyday, not a big deal for me, I know about the backroad already looked on google maps and such and found it. plus my car gets 35 miles to the gallon so its not a big deal to me.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I have to drive from Corpus to Freer everyday to work.  70 miles one way.  It sucks, but better than living in Freer.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:57:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm going to be in the Corpus area for the next month or two for work, I've never been to the area or even to the beach as it would be; so tell me what I should check out.

I'll hopefully have a few hours free per week to see some of the sights but I won't have any day time hours off, only evening and night.

Any museums, bars, or restaurants to check out? What beach should I head to, anything I need to know about going to the beach, it'll be my first time.

Visit the State Aquarium if you have time.  It's a nice place.  Cost about 20$

Also, definitely go to the Lexington as already stated. It's really cool.  Take you most of a morning to walk it.  The aquarium has some nice shows like the dolphins, birds, fish, etc.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#19]
If you're into baseball you can check out the Corpus Christi Hooks at Whataburger field.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:35:39 PM EDT
[#20]
If you are in to horses, King Ranch is there in Kingsville.

Boot.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Fishing no doubt.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:47:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you are in to horses, King Ranch is there in Kingsville.

Boot.

The King Ranch has been a thorn in my side the last few days. I wanted to stay in Kingsville for 3 days then stay at a nice place on the beach. Sounds great, right? Not so much when you need an ID card to access your pipeline on the ranch and need to stay stationed in Kingsville for easy transit.
Now I need a hotel to the Northwest that is close to the beach and am having zero luck.
Victoria is too far and Rockport isn't far enough.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 8:10:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I ended up spending a few hours in the Kleberg ER last night. Woke up at 11:30 with a kidney stone that felt like a baseball.
I had to decide between a drive to Corpus or Kleberg and chose Kleberg hoping for less riff raff at midnight on a Saturday.
I was pleasantly surprised, they cut my expected 4 hr wait down to 1. The vomiting, hyperventilation, and near loss of consciousness helped a little, I think. The doctor and nurses were definitely no nonsense types. They asked me what helped with the pain, morphine, and dosed me up. Gave me a fee prescriptions to help pass it and some pain pills for the road and I was on my way.

Several border patrol guys up there with a few illegals they caught, was definitely nice to see that they nab one at least every once in a while. Keep up the good work
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#24]
i lived there for about 6 months while working, pretty nice place.

On the weekends if i dident go home i would grab my rods and head to N padre island and fish for sharks. Or just spend the day driving down the beach all the way to the end. Its about 60 miles so make sure you tank is full and you have a light weight 4x4

And i also went to jail there for a PI . They let me out at about 8am and i had to walk all the way down lepord st back to the hotel Stay away from that street.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 2:25:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

On the weekends if i dident go home i would grab my rods and head to N padre island and fish for sharks. Or just spend the day driving down the beach all the way to the end. Its about 60 miles so make sure you tank is full and you have a light weight 4x4

And i also went to jail there for a PI . They let me out at about 8am and i had to walk all the way down lepord st back to the hotel Stay away from that street.

Leopard st.?
I just spent most the day working a line that paralells it and it seemed rather rough, we skipped the sections in backyards.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Leopard st.?
I just spent most the day working a line that paralells it and it seemed rather rough, we skipped the sections in backyards.

Yup Lepard st. Please excuse my spelling
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top