ARCHIVED ARCHIVED
  Previous Page
Page:  / 3
Author
The bad influence...
Posted: 3/17/2011 5:10:49 PM
So, I got pulled over, again by DPS for no front license plate. I know the law. I chose to ignore it.

Trooper, when he walked up, told me why he was pulling me over and also that he saw me putting on my seatbelt as he was following me. For the record, I wear a seatbelt even driving in a pasture. Old habit. I told him that I wear my seatbelt, he disagreed, and I showed him my Driver's Education License (yeah, they make those now).

He relented, and told me he was simply going to issue a warning for the license plate.

No problem.

Then he asked me, "Have you ever been pulled over for this before?"

I decided to tell the truth, I've been pulled over for it twice already. Once in Wills Point, once by DPS in Canton. This changed his tone, and he decided that I would need to see a judge about the license plate afterall.

He returned to his car, ran my license, then returned to my window. He said, "Well, good news, you've only been pulled over once before for this, so I'll still give you just a warning. Get it fixed." (I guess Wills Point PD never put it in their system that I received a verbal warning.)

I never knew, but always suspected, that a 'warning' still was kept on your record.

It is.

Lesson learned kids, don't lie to the DPS.

TRG
Uncle Ruckus is my hero.

"Just cultivate a polite detached superiority. " ~BigEasySnow
dryroasted
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/17/2011 5:15:50 PM
I know what you are going to do this afternoon
TXSunDvl
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/17/2011 5:26:54 PM
Do they stay on there for a certain period of time, or is this part of your "permanent record?"
txinvestigator
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/17/2011 5:30:08 PM
DPS may keep a record of warnings internally, but local PDs have no way of entereing them into any kind of statewide system.

By ignoring this law, you are choosing to give LE a valid to enter your life.

txinvestigator
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/17/2011 5:30:47 PM
Originally Posted By TXSunDvl:
Do they stay on there for a certain period of time, or is this part of your "permanent record?"

Like that detention in 10th grade? It's all there baby!
txcop893
Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/17/2011 5:34:16 PM
Originally Posted By TheRedGoat:
So, I got pulled over, again by DPS for no front license plate. I know the law. I chose to ignore it.

Trooper, when he walked up, told me why he was pulling me over and also that he saw me putting on my seatbelt as he was following me. For the record, I wear a seatbelt even driving in a pasture. Old habit. I told him that I wear my seatbelt, he disagreed, and I showed him my Driver's Education License (yeah, they make those now).

He relented, and told me he was simply going to issue a warning for the license plate.

No problem.

Then he asked me, "Have you ever been pulled over for this before?"

I decided to tell the truth, I've been pulled over for it twice already. Once in Wills Point, once by DPS in Canton. This changed his tone, and he decided that I would need to see a judge about the license plate afterall.

He returned to his car, ran my license, then returned to my window. He said, "Well, good news, you've only been pulled over once before for this, so I'll still give you just a warning. Get it fixed." (I guess Wills Point PD never put it in their system that I received a verbal warning.)

I never knew, but always suspected, that a 'warning' still was kept on your record.

It is.

Lesson learned kids, don't lie to the DPS.

TRG

I've been a cop for a more than a few years and to my knowledge only the actual agency keeps track of traffic stops/warning. I'm sure DPS does this too, but warnings are not entered onto your DPS driving history.
Example: I can run a name or a license plate thru MVD/TCIC and if you've been handled in my home county it will pop with a previous contact.
"Some people just need to be shot"-Clint Smith

"I really love the balls."-NorCal_LEO

Dont blame me.....I voted for the American.

God Bless Rick Monday.

R.I.P. madrhythm
Tboy
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/17/2011 6:44:43 PM
Curious what type of vehicle you drive. White panel van? I'm convinced certain types are contacted regarding no front license plate - it was a very common practice to go after youths when I was younger but I rarely see older folks driving their sporty cars get the business end. Fortunately, my township is more concerned about the safety of speeding/running stop signs and don't go after the license plate violators.
Pawdog
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/17/2011 6:53:14 PM
I've noticed Van Zandt county is heavily patrolled for some reason. I got stopped one night near Edgewood on 64, for doing the speed limit.! I think the VZCSD was only stopping me as it was a Friday night, around 11:00 pm, and he was trolling for drunks. He admitted I wasn't speeding as we talked, and he "advised" me to "just watch the speed limit going through the little towns." I told him, I always do........
TheRedGoat
The bad influence...
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/17/2011 6:53:36 PM
Originally Posted By Tboy:
Curious what type of vehicle you drive. White panel van? I'm convinced certain types are contacted regarding no front license plate - it was a very common practice to go after youths when I was younger but I rarely see older folks driving their sporty cars get the business end. Fortunately, my township is more concerned about the safety of speeding/running stop signs and don't go after the license plate violators.

87 IROC

TRG
Uncle Ruckus is my hero.

Firebird69
Freedom is Expensive
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/17/2011 7:10:12 PM

Originally Posted By txinvestigator:
DPS may keep a record of warnings internally, but local PDs have no way of entereing them into any kind of statewide system.

By ignoring this law, you are choosing to give LE a valid to enter your life.

Nothing good ever comes from a knock at the door
SoftwareJanitor
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/17/2011 7:14:07 PM
87 IROC

Ah... mostly a car driven by teenage men these days. Not surprising you are getting a bit more than average attention from LEO.
captexas
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/17/2011 7:46:30 PM
Think it's gotten much easier for DPS to keep up with the warnings they issue now since they enter those into the computer right on the spot to print the warning out instead of issuing the old hand written warnings. Just glad they issue warnings to begin with!
geegee
I didn't kill that pimp!
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/17/2011 9:46:27 PM
Originally Posted By SoftwareJanitor:
87 IROC

Ah... mostly a car driven by teenage men these days. Not surprising you are getting a bit more than average attention from LEO.

There's a teenage man in the car, he's sitting next to the driver.
"I carry a gun because it is my responsibility alone - not that of the police, nor the government, nor the community - to defend the precious lives that God has entrusted to me."
Will Dougan, writing in gomemphis. 08/17/03
Tboy
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/17/2011 10:44:29 PM
Originally Posted By Tboy:

87 IROC

TRG

Explains everything.
TXGunnersM8
The Jerk
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/17/2011 11:06:06 PM
I seem to remember an instructor (DPS Sgt) when I was in the academy telling us that they can see anytime you've been contacted by another Trooper. We can do this on our own system, but not other agencies.
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." -John Wayne
calvin84
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2011 12:21:28 AM
Meh, I was pulled over by DPS over 10 times for this in 2010 alone...One ticket. So be it. I do wonder how long warnings stick on your "Warning" record. I have since put a license plate in my windshield when driving in the country. I know it's not technically right, but it's worked so far. I'm not drilling either of my bumpers. It always felt like a fishing expedition as well, lots of questions involved.
Eagle1_Fox2
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2011 12:31:06 AM
Originally Posted By calvin84:
Meh, I was pulled over by DPS over 10 times for this in 2010 alone...One ticket. So be it. I do wonder how long warnings stick on your "Warning" record. I have since put a license plate in my windshield when driving in the country. I know it's not technically right, but it's worked so far. I'm not drilling either of my bumpers. It always felt like a fishing expedition as well, lots of questions involved.

As was mentioned earlier, DPS keeps records of its own contacts with violators to include warnings. However, it is just an internal thing and other agencies cannot see the warnings, just as DPS cannot see the warnings of other agencies. It is also not a part of your driving record as some assert. You can pull your driving history right now and it will not show a single warning. Just as the OP stated to the trooper that he had been pulled over once by DPS, and once by another agency, but only that warning from DPS showed up... proof that warnings are not interagency.

But, as also has been said before, if you choose not to get a front plate, you are choosing to give LE a reason to stop you as well as choosing to eventually receive a citation.
splash556
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2011 2:10:58 AM
Related question for the LEO types. Is there a practical reason (other than it's the law) for the front plates that make it useful to law enforcement? How does it help or does it? From my civi point of view, seems the rear plate would be enough.
dangerdan
Royal Gunfighter
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2011 4:17:59 AM
[Last Edit: 3/18/2011 4:18:28 AM by dangerdan]
I've gotten a $300 speeding ticket in a school zone once. The judge let me pay half and he wouldn't let it go on my record. Since then, I've gotten several verbal warnings for going 80mph in a 60, 75mph in a 55 (In Louisiana by a female cop..I got lucky on that one). I also got pulled over that night I came home from boot camp...the DPS gave me a written warning because one of my license plate lights were out (I didn't know, because when I started driving that evening, it was still daylight).
Uncle
Sam's
Misguided
Children
Tboy
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2011 10:33:24 AM
Originally Posted By splash556:
Related question for the LEO types. Is there a practical reason (other than it's the law) for the front plates that make it useful to law enforcement? How does it help or does it? From my civi point of view, seems the rear plate would be enough.

They can run your plates when you are behind them.
Eagle1_Fox2
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2011 10:57:15 AM

Aside from being the law, there are a couple of reasons. Practically, it makes verifying whether your registration matches your license plates easier as all we have to do is look at the license plate displayed on the registration, take 3 steps backward, and check the front plate. You would be surprised how many times people mix up the registration stickers when they have multiple vehicles and put the wrong sticker on the wrong vehicle. Second, many scanners such as at tollways, airports, banks, etc use cameras that take pictures of the front plate. Granted, most also take pictures of the rear plate, but it is primarily for verification in case for some reason one of the pictures does not show up. Finally, when law enforcement is trying to find a vehicle which may be parked somewhere, it is far easier to just cruise by looking at the plates which can be seen no matter which direction the vehicle is facing rather than having to get out and go look at the back simply because the car backed into a spot.

As to the comment about police running your plate while in front of you, yes, you could do that, but it really isn't practical. Having to look through the back window while driving and running a plate can be hazardous in addition to it is often too hard to see the plate clearly anyway.
function12
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2011 11:06:03 AM
[Last Edit: 3/18/2011 11:07:00 AM by function12]
Please visit here to help throw out the old two plate law.
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/billlookup/History.aspx?LegSess=82R&Bill=HB1068 if you want to read the bill, its real simple……..rear only license platers required.
Here is where to find your rep… http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/
Send your reps an email to let know to support this bill.
SoftwareJanitor
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2011 2:25:43 PM

It is enough for 19 states including most of the states surrounding Texas... Texas is one of the only southern states that require front plates. Requiring front plates is one of the bad ways that Texas is more like the blue northern states than it should be. In fact even a few northern states don't require them.
TheRedGoat
The bad influence...
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2011 2:49:52 PM

It is enough for 19 states including most of the states surrounding Texas... Texas is one of the only southern states that require front plates. Requiring front plates is one of the bad ways that Texas is more like the blue northern states than it should be. In fact even a few northern states don't require them.

I wonder how the Vette owners do it? I have been looking at cars all morning to see if they have a front plate. Haven't seen a Vette yet with one.

TRG
Uncle Ruckus is my hero.

mtgmike
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2011 3:12:11 PM
87 IROC

Uhh, we are going to need to see proof of adequate mulletude to approve you dring that car.
Tboy
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2011 4:00:23 PM

I wonder how the Vette owners do it? I have been looking at cars all morning to see if they have a front plate. Haven't seen a Vette yet with one.

TRG

They are one group of inidividuals that get a pass - unless they're wearing a mullet and have a girlfriend named Chrystal.
  Previous Page
Page:  / 3
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED