Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2009 4:40:02 AM EDT
The closer to the north side the better.
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 6:38:17 AM EDT
[#1]
See if you can find a Utah CHL instructor.  It's very reasonable on cost and time if you can find a class.
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 7:25:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
See if you can find a Utah CHL instructor.  It's very reasonable on cost and time if you can find a class.

So, what do you get if you use a Utah CHL instructor?
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 7:34:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Please don't "poor boy" a CHL class
get a good place that will teach you what you need to know.
If you have to draw your gun and use it to stop an attack that $30 yo' saved on a class will look like chump change next to the $20,000 retainer the lawyer will want.  Please get a good instructor!
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 7:42:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought the class material might be standardized.
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#5]
The material is standerdized but the instructors are not, and neither is the services they provide. Some may have you get your own photos (5-10 dollars), your own fingerprints( 25-35 dollars) and your own notery(5 dollars) if his class is 60.00 and then you have to get all your own stuff done are you really saving any money? a standard class will cost you between 110.00 to 140.00 dollars.
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Utah CHL that is valid in Texas at half the price, half the time and no practical shooting.
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Utah CHL that is valid in Texas at half the price, half the time and no practical shooting.

I can't possibly understand how this might be a good suggestion.

Pay the extra $50 to do a good class with a good instructor. It could save you thousands of dollars - and even your life - in the long run.

Link Posted: 7/14/2009 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Its too bad the Utah CHL isn't valid in Nevada anymore.  I was thinking about getting one so I could carry when I go to Las Vegas.  They don't take TX either, why, I don't know, and they also just quit taking FL.
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 2:04:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I can't possibly understand how this might be a good suggestion.

Pay the extra $50 to do a good class with a good instructor. It could save you thousands of dollars - and even your life - in the long run.

There isn't really a reason to think that just because an instructor is expensive that means he is better...  or that an instructor who charges less is automatically inferior...
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It could save you thousands of dollars - and even your life - in the long run.

What?  How so?
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Cheryl Lamar-Wagner at Hot Wells Shooting Range.  She probably isn't the cheapest instructor, but she will give you accurate information, which is surprisingly uncommon around here.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What?  How so?

I don't think "half the time and no practical shooting" is good training. Without good training, the odds of a bad shoot or civil suit are much higher.

ETA: Also, I don't know a single LEO who understands reciprocity or carries a list of states around with him. Lousiana, Oklahoma, New Mexico.. sure. Utah? GTFO. You might beat the wrap but you won't beat the ride. Have fun explaining to a judge or jury why you - a Texas resident - got a Utah CHL to save $50.

Link Posted: 7/14/2009 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I took my renewal at Carter's Country north of town. I would recommend the class to others.

It was very organized. They provide everything you need (packet, fingerprints, picture, certifcate). You supply 50 rounds of ammo, bring your handgun, and you get an hour or so off for lunch. Cost for the renewal was $99 I think. An initial CHL would be higher.
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I took my renewal at Carter's Country north of town.

What did your instructor have to say about carrying in a church?
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I took my renewal at Carter's Country north of town.

What did your instructor have to say about carrying in a church?

Just went for my renewal 3 weeks ago.  I believe he said you could not carry in church.  Of course, I wasn't paying attention because I don't go to church.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2009 4:21:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I believe he said you could not carry in church.

You should ask for a refund on your class then.  That's why I recommend Cheryl at Hot Wells.
Link Posted: 7/15/2009 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What?  How so?

I don't think "half the time and no practical shooting" is good training. Without good training, the odds of a bad shoot or civil suit are much higher.

ETA: Also, I don't know a single LEO who understands reciprocity or carries a list of states around with him. Lousiana, Oklahoma, New Mexico.. sure. Utah? GTFO. You might beat the wrap but you won't beat the ride. Have fun explaining to a judge or jury why you - a Texas resident - got a Utah CHL to save $50.

Guess I'd need to agree to disagree here.    I didn't get any shooting training from my TX CHL class what we got was a test.  Some of the folks that passed the shooting test were down right scary.  The state mandates the time we take for a class here in TX and the practical shooting testing.  More instruction at a higher price does not equal better instruction nor the wrong or right amount of instruciton.  As an example of this I don't agree with the revolver vs pistol and caliber restrictions but play the TX game.

If a non resident CHL holder gets in front of a judge and jury there is more at play than just a misunderstanding of a police officer of the law.  Bottom line:  Cheapest way I know how to get a CHL in Texas time and money is get a Utah CHL.  I'd agree it's not as simple of a question to ask yourself but it's being done for cost and other reasons.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top