Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2017 12:45:43 PM EDT
Just a heads up in the unlikely event that someone here comes across some savage .22s for sale.

The picture taken below is of the Rifle Range shelter at Camp Mountaineer. Sometime between Sunday night May 14th and last night, May 16th, an individual or more likely individuals broke into our Rifle Range building and stole one of our Sentry Safes filled with 10 .22 rifles and 4 pellet rifles.
Here is a description of the guns stolen:
Savage Mod Mark 1 G 22 Long Rifle single shot, birch stock with serial numbers: 1171782, 1280641, 1280644, 1280645, 1280646, 1280647, 1280648, 1280649, 1280650, and 1280653. Each rifle was blue finished metal and birch wood stocks and open sights.
The pellet rifles were Crossman 508 Olympic Sights Target pellet rifles with hard sided rifle cases in black and aluminum.
If you happen to see any of these guns on facebook, craiglist, yard sales, flea markets, etc. please notify us and the West Virginia State Police. We intend to push for prosecution to the fullest extent of the law.
We will be working over the next few weeks to repair the damages, install more security measures, and replace the stolen equipment. Any help you can give to make sure our Scouts continue to get a great program despite this disappointing setback would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:27:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:25:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just so folks know where is this range, might help in locating the area they may be in?
View Quote
Ahhh sorry! The camp is just outside of Morgantown.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:29:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll keep an eye out down here in  Lewis.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#4]
My heart sank when I read this in the paper.
As I read the article and saw "Sentry Safe" I was disappointed.
Those things aren't a "safe", they are a locker.
With barely a 1/16" plate for a door.
Easy pickins for the wanna be thugs we have around here.

Jeff Doty is a hell of a nice guy and I plan to make a donation to help replace the rifles.
But with the secluded location of Camp Mtneer, they need a real safe and bolt it to the floor.
Save a ton of hassle and aggravation in the long run.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:15:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I too saw this.   Shameful.   I hope that the guns get back to the scouts, and the perps are found.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My heart sank when I read this in the paper.
As I read the article and saw "Sentry Safe" I was disappointed.
Those things aren't a "safe", they are a locker.
With barely a 1/16" plate for a door.
Easy pickins for the wanna be thugs we have around here.

Jeff Doty is a hell of a nice guy and I plan to make a donation to help replace the rifles.
But with the secluded location of Camp Mtneer, they need a real safe and bolt it to the floor.
Save a ton of hassle and aggravation in the long run.
View Quote
Unfortunately with ANY safe and enough time, a criminal is going to gain entry. The better the safe, the longer that time interval is going to be.
Hope they catch the thieves and get the firearms back in good shape!
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:32:41 AM EDT
[#7]
And with the help of Second Amendment Sports & Defense in Morgantown a positive ending.
Posted on their FB page...

To everyone who stepped up and donated to help replace the rifles stolen from Camp Mountaineer, THANK YOU!!!
Special thanks also to Savage Arms and their Youth Shooting Sports Program. Together, we were able to accomplish
this before the start of summer camp and ensure our local Boy Scouts have the opportunity to develop respect,
responsibility, and skills that they will take with them their entire lives. There is still a need for donations to help
replace the air rifles and safe that were stolen, as well to make repairs and security upgrades to the building.
Donations are tax-deductable and checks can be made out to "BSA Mountaineer Area Council" and either
dropped off at our shop or mailed to "MAC BSA, 1831 Speedway Avenue, Fairmont, WV 26554.
Any contribution will be much appreciated! Even if you do not have any personal connections to the BSA or
Camp Mountaineer, your support helps to ensure the future of shooting sports for so many of our youth. THANK YOU!!!

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top