Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2017 1:38:48 PM EDT
Was getting ready to visit a WV high school, and was looking at the WV law on firearms on campus.  Got an interpretation question.

WV Code 61-7-11A(b)(1) says you can't have a firearm "in or on a public  primary or secondary education building, structure, facility or grounds including a vocational education building, structure, facility or grounds where secondary vocational education programs are conducted or at a school-sponsored function, or in or on a private primary or secondary education building, structure or facility."

But 61-7-11A(b)(2) says "This subsection does not apply to:" and subpara E says "A person who, as otherwise permitted by the provisions of this article, possesses an unloaded firearm or deadly weapon in a motor vehicle or leaves an unloaded firearm or deadly weapon in a locked motor vehicle".

What does that mean?  Does that allow having an unloaded firearm (or deadly weapon) in the vehicle?  Or does that ability apply only to the people listed as exceptions in this paragraph, allowing them to leave whatever they're authorized to carry in their vehicle, as long as it's unloaded?

ETA:  Short version:  does the law allow me to have an unloaded firearm on school property?
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 5:57:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I pick up my kids from school every day.   Pretty much.   Not saying that I do, not saying that I don't have a firearm with me.   But I can carry in WV.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I know of two high school students recently suspended for having unloaded firearms in their vehicles during hunting season.  As my limited knowledge understands the law, unless you're law enforcement or have special permission from the school administrator (Jr ROTC, history exhibit, etc), you cannot have a firearm on school property.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#3]
The school cop has told me that's the law (no firearms, period, unloaded or not), but I don't understand why there's an exception for unloaded firearms on school property, or who it applies to.  Exceptions for allowing firearms are already covered in other sections (like the principal giving permission, etc.), so this doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top