Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2016 7:50:48 PM EDT
Back in 2014, I bought 4 wooded acres near Bruceton Mills assuming Morgantown would be a good area for employment ( Oil and Chemical Industries ).
I have not seen any encouraging signs of prosperity  in Morgantown, so now I am focusing on Winchester, Va for future prospects. I am zeroing in on the area of Romney, Augusta and Capon Bridge along the Rt. 50 corridor. The only thing that bothers me that it is closer to DC.

I like going further south towards Charleston and beyond, but family in PA are wishing me to stay closer to them

Any Members here live in or around those towns ?  I appreciate your input.

BTH
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:10:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm in Inwood, about 20 miles north of Winchester up I-81.  I also have land in Mineral County.

I expect that area will be one of the next "boom" areas as federal agencies move out to Winchester and the eastern WV panhandle.  It's too far to commute to DC, but not to Winchester, Martinsburg, Kearneysville, etc.

Just be careful of what and where you're buying, some plots advertised as "raw land" are really in 5-10 acre lot subdivisions and come with an HOA or deed restrictions.  If you want land make sure it's truly unencumbered.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They ain't nothing there

Oh, and I think that's Simms13 AO, so don't run a foul of the law
View Quote

Negative, Although I've done some JBTing in Hampshire County, my current AO is Berkeley County.

There isn't much in the Romney area. It's about 45 minutes from everywhere.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 6:24:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Guys, thanks for the input. I plan on staying in the woods, don't mind driving for work and supplies. I just want to get away from the masses.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:16:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Dude your moving from NJ, the middle of a sewage plant would probably be a improvement
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guys, thanks for the input. I plan on staying in the woods, don't mind driving for work and supplies. I just want to get away from the masses.

Dude your moving from NJ, the middle of a sewage plant would probably be a improvement

You're right.

I am in the southern part of the state near Philadelphia, nothing but subdivisions end to end for miles, quite congested here for the better part of 20 years.

I long for the mountains and small towns where I can drive one hour to a small city.

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You get moved??  thought you told me one time you AO was around there?  Then again, I don't hear much you say anyways

There is the school for the deaf and blind in Romney, but I doubt that will help OP?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They ain't nothing there

Negative, Although I've done some JBTing in Hampshire County, my current AO is Berkeley County.

You get moved??  thought you told me one time you AO was around there?  Then again, I don't hear much you say anyways

There is the school for the deaf and blind in Romney, but I doubt that will help OP?

I've been in Berkeley County since June of last year. I've told you that... in person at least once or twice.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 8:57:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 6:36:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't ever hear much you say, be it because gunfire or auto JBT tune out  Hell, I only see you twice a year, as you don't come to the funshows
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They ain't nothing there

I've been in Berkeley County since June of last year. I've told you that... in person at least once or twice.

I don't ever hear much you say, be it because gunfire or auto JBT tune out  Hell, I only see you twice a year, as you don't come to the funshows

Too busy JBTing to come to fun shows.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Any interest in selling the property in Bruceton?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Any interest in selling the property in Bruceton?
View Quote

Been thinking about it, it is in a private subdivision with covenants and restrictions, but nobody has been enforcing them for years.
It's 4  flat acres ( almost ), wooded with a small amount of clearing, probably from the previous owner. The sub is accessible on a badly maintained gravel county road
3 miles from an asphalt county road. It's nice and very quiet back there, most of the owners used the sub for hunting, even though there are few full time residents.

Its a mile behind the Prisons off the Hazelton exit.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 4:01:40 AM EDT
[#13]
The time to buy in that area is now, it's do to explode. It's a beautiful area. Even has a super WM. For all your needs ??
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Laugh all you want about wal-mart, but that is pretty important in some areas of WV.  Ask Die-tryin, he lives hours from a WM
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The time to buy in that area is now, it's do to explode. It's a beautiful area. Even has a super WM. For all your needs ??

Laugh all you want about wal-mart, but that is pretty important in some areas of WV.  Ask Die-tryin, he lives hours from a WM

The SWMs in rural areas are  great, I just avoid going  between 11 pm to 7am, strange things go shopping in them at those hours.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:09:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No, those hours are great, just dont go first of the month
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SWMs in rural areas are  great, I just avoid going  between 11 pm to 7am, strange things go shopping in them at those hours.

No, those hours are great, just dont go first of the month

FSA Invasion
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#18]
FSA stuff is hilarious. I go into a Sheetz on the 1st and there's a line of folks at the ATM...

For some reason they scatter like cockroaches when they see me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:44:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 5:13:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Not sure if its just your uniform
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FSA stuff is hilarious. I go into a Sheetz on the 1st and there's a line of folks at the ATM...

I probably shouldn't wave the shotgun around while shouting "Get the fuck out!"
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 11:18:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Is that a 12ga or are you just happy to see me?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I probably shouldn't wave the shotgun around while shouting "Get the fuck out!"

Is that a 12ga or are you just happy to see me?

Both.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 12:09:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Too funny!
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 12:10:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been saying for a long time that I don't want to live more than 15 miles from a super Walmart.  Or 20 miles from a Cosco.  So yeah I agree they are important.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 5:09:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

You aint kidding. I paid 96k for my house in 2013 got it market value appraised last month by local agents. and they are quoting between 130 and 150k value now.

I'm thinking probably 125-135k  but thats a nice chunk of change in just 3 years i gained.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top