Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2017 1:06:23 AM EDT
Looking for input on the area. I never been to Kansas.
I'll tell you about me first and maybe you can tell me if its a good fit.

I usually pick an area to live in that is conservative which means gun (and NFA) friendly, low cost of living, where I can live on 10+ acres and the people are polite. I carry a sidearm with me 99% of the time. I prefer the country over the city but don't mind working in the city. I need to be within 30 minutes of work (Wichita).

My hobbies are firearms, kayaking, camping, ATV/trail riding, bonfires, boating, skiing...
I have kids but they are not coming. I'm separated and they are staying with their mom who I'm happy to support.
I'm a Baptist. So, I'd like to find a good church to attend.

I'm a reserve army officer currently in Afghanistan for my 4th deployment here. Because of my MOS I'm able to drill with just about any unit to get my points for the year. The Army is very flexible. So, if there are any high speed units out there let me know. Most are happy to have me drill with them and it doesn't take much paperwork. Actually, just one signature on one form. I spent the past 4 or 5 years drilling with SOF.

Also, I'll be looking for a home with 10+ acres 3 bed 2 bath 2000 to 3000 sf.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Wichita resident here.  

Just wanted to say, regarding homes with acreage, that's a pretty tough market for buyers right now!  We just closed on a new home this weekend.  Our agent was talking with the sellers (who wanted land in the country) about how hard it is to find anything.  A home with any real land will go in seconds, if not even before it's listed.  The sellers were able to find a place with a good amount of land, but it is quite a ways from Wichita and they just happened to find someone who was about to list theirs...it didn't even hit the market.  From hearing all of their conversation, just be ready to offer full price, if not even several thousand over asking!

We love Wichita and have lived here for about 11-12 years.  I, too, enjoy a lot of the activities you listed.  We have a couple of kayaks and enjoy getting out on the water.  There are a couple of large reservoirs within about 45 minutes, and several smaller lakes that are great for kayaking, fishing, and camping.  There are a lot of nice gun shops/ranges in town.  Kansas is a very gun-friendly state.  We now have Constitutional Carry, and NFA stuff is good-to-go.  

As for places to start looking, you might focus on some of the smaller communities in the surrounding area that could potentially have some land... Goddard, Haysville, Kechi, Valley Center to name a few.  If you need a Buyer's Agent, let me know if you'd like the name of the lady who worked for us.  She's gotta be in her 60s and has been doing this for years...I swear that lady never sleeps!  She would send emails/texts late at night and early morning (never woke me) with updates, etc.  She was very on the ball for us.

Good luck!

(Oh yeah, can't speak to any military stuff, but I'm sure someone will chime in.)
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:30:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wichita resident here.  

Just wanted to say, regarding homes with acreage, that's a pretty tough market for buyers right now!  We just closed on a new home this weekend.  Our agent was talking with the sellers (who wanted land in the country) about how hard it is to find anything.  A home with any real land will go in seconds, if not even before it's listed.  The sellers were able to find a place with a good amount of land, but it is quite a ways from Wichita and they just happened to find someone who was about to list theirs...it didn't even hit the market.  From hearing all of their conversation, just be ready to offer full price, if not even several thousand over asking!

We love Wichita and have lived here for about 11-12 years.  I, too, enjoy a lot of the activities you listed.  We have a couple of kayaks and enjoy getting out on the water.  There are a couple of large reservoirs within about 45 minutes, and several smaller lakes that are great for kayaking, fishing, and camping.  There are a lot of nice gun shops/ranges in town.  Kansas is a very gun-friendly state.  We now have Constitutional Carry, and NFA stuff is good-to-go.  

As for places to start looking, you might focus on some of the smaller communities in the surrounding area that could potentially have some land... Goddard, Haysville, Kechi, Valley Center to name a few.  If you need a Buyer's Agent, let me know if you'd like the name of the lady who worked for us.  She's gotta be in her 60s and has been doing this for years...I swear that lady never sleeps!  She would send emails/texts late at night and early morning (never woke me) with updates, etc.  She was very on the ball for us.

Good luck!

(Oh yeah, can't speak to any military stuff, but I'm sure someone will chime in.)
View Quote
I really want to be in the country on 10+ acres. If not that might be a deal breaker. What would something 2000sf sf on 10 acres go for? I don't really want to spend more than 250k but will go up to 300k. This will be my 4th home and its just for me unless the kids come up. I have a lot of toys that I need land for and will never live in a place with a HOA!
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I really want to be in the country on 10+ acres. If not that might be a deal breaker. What would something 2000sf sf on 10 acres go for? I don't really want to spend more than 250k but will go up to 300k. This will be my 4th home and its just for me unless the kids come up. I have a lot of toys that I need land for and will never live in a place with a HOA!
View Quote
I'm a licensed realtor in Kansas and Missouri.  

You will have to get outside of Wichita quite a ways to find 2000 sq ft on 10 acres in your price range.

The cheapest that I could find offhand on 10+ acres include a 42 year old place that is 3000 sq ft with some outbuildings on 20 acres for $325,000.   It is between Oaklawn and Rose Hill.  Another is a 14 year old 2750 sq ft place on 20 acres up near Valley Center for $314,900.  I did find a 9.4 acre place near Augusta for $219,900, a 2300 sq ft 67 year old house.

You might need to visit Wichita and see what the traffic looks like during your commute time and decide what you are willing to endure, and then center your search within that commute time limit.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:27:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm a licensed realtor in Kansas and Missouri.  

You will have to get outside of Wichita quite a ways to find 2000 sq ft on 10 acres in your price range.

The cheapest that I could find offhand on 10+ acres include a 42 year old place that is 3000 sq ft with some outbuildings on 20 acres for $325,000.   It is between Oaklawn and Rose Hill.  Another is a 14 year old 2750 sq ft place on 20 acres up near Valley Center for $314,900.  I did find a 9.4 acre place near Augusta for $219,900, a 2300 sq ft 67 year old house.

You might need to visit Wichita and see what the traffic looks like during your commute time and decide what you are willing to endure, and then center your search within that commute time limit.
View Quote
My home in MI is 20 min from I-75. Its 14 years old and as 2600sf not including the 1500sf walkout basement and room over the garage on 9 acres. I paid 222 for it a year and a half ago. Its an awesome house. My realtor said if I sell it now I could get 240 on the low end and 260 high end. She said I could rent it for 1700 and the mortgage is 1360. Seems like prices down there might be a little higher. Might be a dealbreaker if I cant find a nice home away from the city. I will never live in a city again or a place with HOA. I have way too many toys that need space like my 5 ton truck, 3 trailers, ATVs etc... And, I want to make a shooting range in my back yard like I have in MI. If I can't shoot in my back yard I wont be happy.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#5]
You might want to look a little further north... Sedgwick, Halstead, Mt Hope area..... I pass several "farm"  houses for sale every day.  I couldn't guess on prices, but can get the listed realtors numbers if your interested.   You may have to give up something to get something....smaller place with the right land, or less land for a bigger place.....  All the places I've mentioned have easy Hiway access.   Several Army units in and around the area, so that shouldn't be an issue, and MAFB is on the south east edge of the county.  
  Several parks in the county for riding and such.  Kayaks are gtg on the river.  Several decent lakes within an hour of Wichita.  Probably on of the most gun friendly states.  Decent gun stores in the area, along with Cabelas and Gander.  Cheney is supposed to have a 1000 yrd range, but I've haven't been there to verify.    

Lat me know if you need anything, I'll do what I can.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You might want to look a little further north... Sedgwick, Halstead, Mt Hope area..... I pass several "farm"  houses for sale every day.  I couldn't guess on prices, but can get the listed realtors numbers if your interested.   You may have to give up something to get something....smaller place with the right land, or less land for a bigger place.....  All the places I've mentioned have easy Hiway access.   Several Army units in and around the area, so that shouldn't be an issue, and MAFB is on the south east edge of the county.  
  Several parks in the county for riding and such.  Kayaks are gtg on the river.  Several decent lakes within an hour of Wichita.  Probably on of the most gun friendly states.  Decent gun stores in the area, along with Cabelas and Gander.  Cheney is supposed to have a 1000 yrd range, but I've haven't been there to verify.    

Lat me know if you need anything, I'll do what I can.
View Quote
Cheney range is both 25 yrd and 100 yrd not 1000 yrd.

Although I haven't been looking for a place, if there's a little flexibility on the distance I would probably start by looking just over the county line in Butler, Reno, and Harvey county if I wanted a place with a few acres.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:39:31 PM EDT
[#7]
We looked a couple of years ago.  If you are close to Wichita it will cost a fortune even if the house sucks.  Go further out and it gets a little better, but usually still a crappy house.  We finally decided to stay in town in a newer house.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 5:39:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Old thread so not sure if you have moved yet but I just seen a listing in Belle Plaine, which is 30 miles south of Wichita, for $340k.  It was built in 1999, 2700sq ft, 3 bed 2.5 bath, on 18 acres.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top