Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By spectre556:

Originally Posted By andrasik:

Originally Posted By spectre556:

Originally Posted By andrasik:

Any C3 dealers in the Overland Park area? Looking for a suppressor transfer or to buy one from a stocking dealer if the price is right.

RIF!!!!!!

posted on this page earlier and now highlighted in red.

Originally Posted By CitySlicker:

Can we compile a list of Kansas dealers that handle NFA transfers?

Off the top of my head:

Darin Reiss

FFL/SOT in Haysville, KS

Darrel at D9firearms.com

Overland Park KS

Ks firearms Specialties

http://www.kansasfirearmsspecialties.com/

Tonganoxie, KS

DavesterAR here on arfcom

Dave Gilmore

FFL/SOT

Leawood, Kansas

I kant reed gud

I was just bustin chops a little..

Seriously though Darrel is in OP and Dave is over in Leawood. Both are great guys and will hook you up at a reasonable price.

It's all good

Thanks for the tip.  I'm itchin' for a .22lr can

Link Posted: 5/26/2010 3:59:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kc215] [#2]
I thought I would go into the Lenexa PD and ask if Chief Hanson would sign off on suppressor.  Clerk didn't know and had an officer come over and say those are only for hitmen
 He said I could send a letter to the chief and see if she would sign off on it.  Any suggestions, as to what to put in the letter?  Or just screw it and do a trust, or go to Jo. Co. Sheriff.
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 5:16:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By kc215:

I thought I would go into the Lenexa PD and ask if Chief Hanson would sign off on suppressor. Clerk didn't know and had an officer come over and say those are only for hitmen

He said I could send a letter to the chief and see if she would sign off on it. Any suggestions, as to what to put in the letter? Or just screw it and do a trust, or go to Jo. Co. Sheriff.

Remind her that she is not giving permission only verifying that she has no information to indicate that you are a criminal. There is no liability on her part and anyone who is able to own a firearm may also own NFA.

Inform her that Shawnee and Overland Park seem to have no issue with Legal ownership of NFA.

Lastly I would very delicately inform her that refusing to sign does nothing to keep you from obtaining legal ownership. By refusing to sign she merely puts her dept in the position in which they do not know who has NFA in their own City.
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I just got my first Form4 signoff from the Johnson County Sherrif's Department at 125 North Cherry Street - inside the Johnson County Courthouse.

They did my fingerprints as well.  SGT Buehler (I think was his name) was very professional and had the forms signed within 10 minutes.  They were a very courteous and professional outfit.
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Thanks for the input..... I will keep everyone updated.
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Got my Form 1 SBR signed off by the Kingman County Sheriff.  This was the first one he did.  He was a little apprehensive at first but got it done.  Kingman Co. isn't very populus so it's no big suprise, but here's his info anyway.  Next up is a Form 1 5.56 suppressor .  I'll update on the response on that.

Randy Hill
Kingman County Sheriff
620-532-5133
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 5:17:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm still trying to wrap my head around this.  As a MO resident, and a C&R holder, I have to go the individual route.  There is the possibility of me moving to KS in the near future, and if so I'd like to go the trust route, so as to avoid any sign off hassles.  However, I'll still be traveling to MO to visit friends and family.  A trust can't hold an FFL, so if I want to go back and forth, it looks like I still need to file the forms as an individual if I intend to travel back to MO with my (future) cans.  I suppose I could just call the MO AG office and ask them...
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By drew5337:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this.  As a MO resident, and a C&R holder, I have to go the individual route.  There is the possibility of me moving to KS in the near future, and if so I'd like to go the trust route, so as to avoid any sign off hassles.  However, I'll still be traveling to MO to visit friends and family.  A trust can't hold an FFL, so if I want to go back and forth, it looks like I still need to file the forms as an individual if I intend to travel back to MO with my (future) cans.  I suppose I could just call the MO AG office and ask them...

Corp and LLC can hold FFL IIRC.  If I'm wrong, someone will surely correct me.

All of my stuff is individual and has been no trouble at all.  Sheriff Denning is excellent at signing F4s here in JoCo.  They're signed while I wait.

Link Posted: 11/23/2010 1:19:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By drew5337:

Remembered that you asked this question - just dug out the statute for a different thread.

Possession––manufacture––transport––repair––sale of certain weapons a
crime––exceptions––penalties.

571.020. 1.  A person commits a crime if such person knowingly possesses,
manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:

(1)  An explosive weapon;

(2)  An explosive, incendiary or poison substance or material with the
purpose to possess, manufacture or sell an explosive weapon;

(3)  A machine gun;

(4)  A gas gun;

(5)  A short barreled rifle or shotgun;

(6)  A firearm silencer;

(7)  A switchblade knife;

(8)  A bullet or projectile which explodes or detonates upon impact
because of an independent explosive charge after having been shot from a
firearm; or

(9)  Knuckles.

2.  A person does not commit a crime pursuant to this section if his
conduct:

(1)  Was incident to the performance of official duty by the armed
forces, national guard, a governmental law enforcement agency, or a penal
institution; or

(2)  Was incident to engaging in a lawful commercial or business
transaction with an organization enumerated in subdivision (1) of this
section; or

(3)  Was incident to using an explosive weapon in a manner reasonably
related to a lawful industrial or commercial enterprise; or

(4)  Was incident to displaying the weapon in a public museum or
exhibition; or

(5)  Was incident to dealing with the weapon solely as a curio, ornament,
or keepsake, or to using it in a manner reasonably related to a lawful
dramatic performance; but if the weapon is a type described in subdivision
(1) or (4) of subsection 1 of this section it must be in such a nonfunctioning
condition that it cannot readily be made operable. No short barreled rifle,
short barreled shotgun, machine gun, or firearm silencer may be possessed,
manufactured, transported, repaired or sold as a curio, ornament, or
keepsake, unless such person is an importer, manufacturer, dealer, or
collector licensed by the Secretary of the Treasury pursuant to the Gun
Control Act of 1968, U.S.C., Title 18
, or unless such firearm is an antique
firearm as defined in subsection 3 of section 571.080, or unless such firearm
has been designated a collectors item by the Secretary of the Treasury
pursuant to the U.S.C., Title 26, Section 5845(a).

3.  A crime pursuant to subdivision (1), (2), (3), (4), (5) or (6) of
subsection 1 of this section is a class C felony; a crime pursuant to
subdivision (7), (8) or (9) of subsection 1 of this section is a class A
misdemeanor.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/chapters/chap571.htm

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 12:29:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vrooom] [#10]
I thought i'd combine info from some past posts to make things easier to find.

Dealers

Darin Reiss
FFL/SOT in Haysville, KS

Darrel at D9firearms.com
Overland Park KS

Ks firearms Specialties
http://www.kansasfirearmsspecialties.com
Tonganoxie, KS

DavesterAR here on arfcom
Dave Gilmore
FFL/SOT
[email protected] 913-488-1459
Leawood, Kansas

Charger Arms
Cherryvale KS

Double Eagle Firearms
Arkansas City KS

Ogden's Best Gun and Pawn
Ogden KS

Sign Offs
spectre556
Form 1
Individual
City of Shawnee Ks
Signoff provided by City of Shawnee Police Dept.

METALMAN
Uzi SBR
Douglas County
Kenneth M. McGovern
Sheriff

78FORDF150
SBR
Bob Odell
Cowley co

andrasik
Form4 signoff
Johnson County Sherrif's Department  
125 North Cherry Street

FastIndy
Form 1 SBR signed off by the Kingman County Sheriff
Randy Hill
Kingman County Sheriff
620-532-5133

thylaughingman
Sheriff Robert Hinshaw
Form 1 and Form 4
Sedgwick county

Link Posted: 12/23/2010 2:53:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thylaughingman] [#11]
Add to that Sheriff Robert Hinshaw of Sedgwick county. if you're in wichita he is the guy that will sign your form.

He signed my form 1 and form 4
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Any one know sombody who will sign off in butler county?
Link Posted: 3/22/2011 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By FastIndy:
Got my Form 1 SBR signed off by the Kingman County Sheriff.  This was the first one he did.  He was a little apprehensive at first but got it done.  Kingman Co. isn't very populus so it's no big suprise, but here's his info anyway.  Next up is a Form 1 5.56 suppressor .  I'll update on the response on that.

Randy Hill
Kingman County Sheriff
620-532-5133

I called Randy Hill regarding the suppressor.  I first mentioned that he had signed off on the SBR for me earlier, which he remembered right away (still probably the only NFA form he has ever seen).  I then informed him that I wanted to get a signature for the suppressor.  He said "better have a good reason for that".  My response was "hearing protection, noise reduction and fun".  He said "if there's nothing else, good luck", then hung up on me.  NOT impressed.  Makes my trust decision easy.

SBR = okay
Can = criminal

Link Posted: 3/22/2011 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Go the trust route or wait and see what the NFATCA comes up with.

They're working on a notification similar to that of applying for an FFL.  A copy is sent to the CLEO to inform them, but they really have no say in the approval process.

I still prefer the trust myself.
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Randy Hill
Kingman County Sheriff
620-532-5133

I called Randy Hill regarding the suppressor.  I first mentioned that he had signed off on the SBR for me earlier, which he remembered right away (still probably the only NFA form he has ever seen).  I then informed him that I wanted to get a signature for the suppressor.  He said "better have a good reason for that".  My response was "hearing protection, noise reduction and fun".  He said "if there's nothing else, good luck", then hung up on me.  NOT impressed.  Makes my trust decision easy.

SBR = okay
Can = criminal

You might want to call him back and inform him that the use of suppressors has been approved for hunting in Kansas and is on its way to the Governor for sigey, will become law July 1st.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 5:31:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Any info on obtaining a signature in Wyandotte Co?
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I see the sheriff in Douglas County has signed off on an SBR; does anyone know if he'll sign off on a suppressor?
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 1:32:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Riley county PD (Manhattan) signed off on my sbr form 1, paper work is pending with the atf now.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 8:46:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By lateral-let:

I see the sheriff in Douglas County has signed off on an SBR; does anyone know if he'll sign off on a suppressor?

METALMAN built his own suppressor on a form 1 in Douglas county

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 3:43:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kc215] [#20]
This is response to email asking Lenexa PD chief is she would sign off on NFA items.  I did reply and ask if there was a reason, .........still waiting on response to that.
  I am going to go trust anyway so, I don't care about her reasons anyway.

No KC2125 I don't do that. Sorry I can't help.

Sent: Friday, February 24, 2012 01:26 PM
To: Ellen Hanson
Subject: CLEO signoff

Chief Hanson,

I am curious if you will sign off on a Form 4 for NFA items with the ATF, for someone to be able to possess a suppressor, short barreled rifle, etc.....?

Sincerely,
KC215

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

ETA: I know it would be form 1 or form 4, based on item in questions
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 1:24:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, Chief Hanson is a real piece of work. In her opinion, the sunset of the Clinton "Assault Rifle Ban" was supposed to have introduced "Criminals with Uzi's into the streets" as she put it in the Kansas City Star. I emailed her regearding the ARB issue and she wrote me back saying she had seen first hand too many instances in which officers were shot using assault rifles. Hmmm, I don't recall too much of that over in Lenexa!  I then emailed he back sayng that if a criminal picked up a brick or a 2x4 and threw it at someone that they would be turning that object into a "assault weapon" by using it as a weapon and assaulting someone with it. She didn't reply...

Anyway, Johnson County Sheriff Denning will sign for you. I got my Form 4 signed in March.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By grndy27:
Any info on obtaining a signature in Wyandotte Co?

Curious about this myself.  Does anyone have any info?  I live in Bonner Springs.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 10:25:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I emailed Sheriff Dean and for me a representive in the KCK police department (no contact info listed for chief or his office on the website).  Hopefully I will receive an answer soon.
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 5:39:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grndy27] [#24]
KCK Police said my request was denied.  Just informed them I will then just use another legal method of obtaining my NFA items. I even sent the request from my .GOV email addy.

Still waiting on a reply from Wyandotte Co Sheriff.

*Update*  Wyandotte Co Sheriff  Don Ash said this  "As long as you clear all the appropriate background/record checks I’ll sign the form……………Sheriff Ash"

Link Posted: 5/30/2012 11:20:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Good to know!  Thanks for the update!!  I just had to put a transmission in my truck ($2k), so that will slow things down a bit.  But at least I know it can happen now!  
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 7:54:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Hi folks,

There is a good chance I will be moving to Kansas sometime in the next couple of years.  I have several NFA weapons (SBRs and suppressors) and I am planning on doing a couple more in the next year (before I move from NC).  I'd like to eventually get at least one machinegun, but that probably won't be possible until after the move to Kansas.  I expect I will end up somewhere in Johnson County, where exactly depends on where my wife and I end up working.  Does anyone know if the Johnson County Sheriff will sign off on a machinegun?  I see some references here to suppressors and SBRs that he signed off on.  Is there anywhere in the area to shoot machineguns?  Finally, are trusts OK to "own" machineguns in Kansas?  In North Carolina we are required to have a permit from the sheriff for machinegun ownership, and that kind of necessitates registering the MG as an individual.  As it is I prefer to do my weapons that require out of state transport permission from the NFA Branch to have my name on them rather than my trust's name.  As it stands now all my SBRs are individual and my suppressors are on a trust.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Landric:
Hi folks,

There is a good chance I will be moving to Kansas sometime in the next couple of years.  I have several NFA weapons (SBRs and suppressors) and I am planning on doing a couple more in the next year (before I move from NC).  I'd like to eventually get at least one machinegun, but that probably won't be possible until after the move to Kansas.  I expect I will end up somewhere in Johnson County, where exactly depends on where my wife and I end up working.  Does anyone know if the Johnson County Sheriff will sign off on a machinegun?  I see some references here to suppressors and SBRs that he signed off on.  Is there anywhere in the area to shoot machineguns?  Finally, are trusts OK to "own" machineguns in Kansas?  In North Carolina we are required to have a permit from the sheriff for machinegun ownership, and that kind of necessitates registering the MG as an individual.  As it is I prefer to do my weapons that require out of state transport permission from the NFA Branch to have my name on them rather than my trust's name.  As it stands now all my SBRs are individual and my suppressors are on a trust.

Thanks!

JoCo sheriff will sign off as far as I'm aware.

Trusts can own anything here, we don't have the weird laws and regulations like y'all do.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 9:40:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bc5000] [#28]
Has anyone got a sign off in Leavenworth County?

Is there a Class 3 dealer around JO CO that is reasonable for transfers?

I don't think Ks firearms Specialties in Tonganoxie is around anymore. His store front is gone and so is the website.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By bc5000:
Has anyone got a sign off in Leavenworth County?

Is there a Class 3 dealer around JO CO that is reasonable for transfers?

I don't think Ks firearms Specialties in Tonganoxie is around anymore. His store front is gone and so is the website.

Darrel @ D9 Firearms does NFA transfers for $50/pop - or at least that's the charge I had last time I used him for a suppressor transfer.

I've done 4 suppressors with Darrel.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#30]
$50 is more like it. A guy in Gardner wants $80.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By bc5000:
$50 is more like it. A guy in Gardner wants $80.

Dang.  That's ridiculous.

Drop Darrel a line.  [email protected]
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 10:03:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 10:59:31 PM EDT
[#33]
UT Arms in KCK is class 3, they charge 40 for regular ffl transfers, not sure if it is more for a class 3 item though
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NavyDoc314:
UT Arms in KCK is class 3, they charge 40 for regular ffl transfers, not sure if it is more for a class 3 item though
View Quote

UT Arms in KCK is now out of business.  Website said they will finish out tranfers that are in progress.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#35]
D9 in Overland Park does Class III, Suppressors, and will help you with your SBR paperwork (or build one for you). Might try them since UT is gone.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#36]
I know OMB guns in Olathe does/did suppressors.  But, they have some issues pending legal action.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Yeah, I heard a little about that.  Evidently A couple of Glock execs are involved too.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:07:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bow42] [#38]
I went through Godrey's Indoor Shooting and Archery Ranges in Junction City.  They helped me through the whole trust process and Form 4 when I bought my first suppressor.
(NFA transfer fee was $80)

Godrey's
920 N Washington St
Junction City, KS  66441
(785) 238-0094
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 7:58:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Who are you guys going through to set up your trusts?
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 12:09:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Coyotehawk] [#40]
Originally Posted By t_herrm:
Who are you guys going through to set up your trusts?
View Quote
I am having Weese Law Firm in KC do mine.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:20:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Coyotehawk:

I am having Weese Law Firm in KC do mine.
View Quote
What's your opinion on Wesse?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top