Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2017 8:33:29 AM EDT
Just got orders and am being transferred to a new boat that will be in Honolulu. I was wondering if anyone on here is from Oahu. Been looking briefly at houses and places to live and was wondering what are some of the better places to live and some places to stay away from. For a family of 4, newborn and a 7 year old
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:22:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Stay out of Kalihi, Waipahu (Kunia is ok), anything in between Kapolei and Haleiwa, and Waimanalo. As long as you're not a d!ckhe@d, you'll be fine, but there are folks there who don't take kindly to haoles (foreigners); and they tend to have the most gangs and highest crime. North Shore is ok--especially if you're a surfer and/or hippie. Kailua and Kane'ohe (and the smaller areas around them) are close to the Marine base, so you'll see a bunch of jarheads all the time. Ai'ea, Pearl City, and parts of Honolulu are nice. I knew a lot of guys who lived in or around Waikiki. If you like the night-life, that's the place to be. Ewa Beach is one of the less-expensive places, as well as Kapolei. Ewa has its own little slice of shadyville, though. Wahiawa is close to the main Army base; so if you end up there, you'll run into a lot of soldiers. Mililani is a nice area. It's not too expensive, but it's pretty well kept too. The east side is pretty expensive, and there's only one road in and out, so there's a lot of traffic somewhat often. If you can afford it, you can always try Hawai'i Kai or Kahala. They are the more expensive areas, but they're close to the public range. ;) For sake of disclosure, I'm not from there, but my wife is; and I lived there for 10 years (just left this past August). I lived in Kane'ohe (on base), Ewa Beach, and Ai'ea, and I like all of them.

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help as much as I can.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:14:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 4:23:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I was told the leeward side of Oahu isn't a place to move. Any truth to this?

I haven't been to the Islands since mid 1990s but it looks like I might be headed back. I hear a lot has changed, and a lot hasn't.
Traffic is supposed to be the worst in the world now and aloha spirit is gone? Idk.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Ewa Beach here, my family is all over Oahu.  Ewa, Nuuanu, Miliani.  I go back and forth from Australia to Hawaii.  Was stationed before at Schofield.  Ewa and Kapolei are booming, prices are still half a mil and more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top