Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2016 1:01:10 PM EDT
Hey guys! I'll be headed out your way after SHOT Show this year. I'm going to spend the first 4 days on Kauai backpacking the Kalalau Trail and then headed over to the big island for some other stuff.

My girlfriend has us signed up for a lava tour, manta ray dive and something with dolphins. We're debating about trying to head over to Pearl Harbor. If we head to that island I'd have an interest in looking at the Stairway to Heaven...

Any must dos or things to try? What kind of poisonous critters do you folks have that I need to be wary of while backpacking?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Where you staying on Big Island and for how long?
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where you staying on Big Island and for how long?
View Quote

@Media_Noche We are staying at the Kona Sheraton for 2 nights.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 5:52:35 PM EDT
[#4]
There should be some websites with tips on doing the Kalalau trail.  Did you get the required permits?  No dangerous critters here.  Lots of mosquitos here but no dangerous diseases from them.  Hawaii has Lepto in the stream water which most water filters don't stop.  Ensure your filter is able to screen it, or use a steripen or chemical purifiers.

Lots to do on the Big Island, you could spend a week touring around there.  If time is limited, then save Oahu for another trip.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:53:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There should be some websites with tips on doing the Kalalau trail.  Did you get the required permits?  No dangerous critters here.  Lots of mosquitos here but no dangerous diseases from them.  Hawaii has Lepto in the stream water which most water filters don't stop.  Ensure your filter is able to screen it, or use a steripen or chemical purifiers.

Lots to do on the Big Island, you could spend a week touring around there.  If time is limited, then save Oahu for another trip.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip on Lepto. I have a Sawyer Squeeze and Mini that will be coming along which filters down to .1 micron. Based on that being in the water, does that mean you shouldn't swim in it?

We did secure out permits for the trail, so that's good to go.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 3:30:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Renting a car?  Anything already booked?  Are you more interested in food or scenery?
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 7:46:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Renting a car?  Anything already booked?  Are you more interested in food or scenery?
View Quote

We have a car rented. I know we are doing some swim with dolphins, something with manta rays and a lava hike in Volcanoes National Park.

Girlfriend agreed to another backpacking trip with me, so I've got to do some things she is interested in.

I do love food. And scenery. If you have suggestions I'll relay them to her for consideration.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks for the tip on Lepto. I have a Sawyer Squeeze and Mini that will be coming along which filters down to .1 micron. Based on that being in the water, does that mean you shouldn't swim in it?

We did secure out permits for the trail, so that's good to go.
View Quote

The health department advises against swimming, but you should be okay as long as you have a good immune system and no open sores.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

We have a car rented. I know we are doing some swim with dolphins, something with manta rays and a lava hike in Volcanoes National Park.

Girlfriend agreed to another backpacking trip with me, so I've got to do some things she is interested in.

I do love food. And scenery. If you have suggestions I'll relay them to her for consideration.
View Quote

It sounds like you've got good plans and already have a full schedule.  Volcano National Park is cool.  Definitely make the Chain of Craters Road drive if it's open.  It's my 2nd favorite drive on the island.  My first favorite is around the North end.  You'd drive North from Kona for about and hour, hugging the coast.  Then you'd get to North Kohala on the way to Hawi.  After Hawi you circle back around but take a road that's up the mountain a bit so the view and landscape is totally different.  It brings you to the town of Waimea and then back down the mountain to the coast again.  Don't know if you could fit that in but if you can it shows quite a range of the climate zones here.

As for food, just pick whatever looks appealing.  I can't say anything is particularly good or bad.  For a Hawaiian experience you gotta have some poke.  Try this place.  http://www.umekesfishmarketbarandgrill.com/

You're in Pennsylvania?  I used to live in Lansdowne (next to West Philly).
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It sounds like you've got good plans and already have a full schedule.  Volcano National Park is cool.  Definitely make the Chain of Craters Road drive if it's open.  It's my 2nd favorite drive on the island.  My first favorite is around the North end.  You'd drive North from Kona for about and hour, hugging the coast.  Then you'd get to North Kohala on the way to Hawi.  After Hawi you circle back around but take a road that's up the mountain a bit so the view and landscape is totally different.  It brings you to the town of Waimea and then back down the mountain to the coast again.  Don't know if you could fit that in but if you can it shows quite a range of the climate zones here.

As for food, just pick whatever looks appealing.  I can't say anything is particularly good or bad.  For a Hawaiian experience you gotta have some poke.  Try this place.  http://www.umekesfishmarketbarandgrill.com/

You're in Pennsylvania?  I used to live in Lansdowne (next to West Philly).
View Quote

Thanks for the advice. I'm from outside of Philadelphia. Small world.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks for the advice. I'm from outside of Philadelphia. Small world.
View Quote

You're welcome.  And yes it is.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 3:47:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Want to visit an alpaca farm?

We're near Waimea which is a fun place to visit.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 6:06:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 7:03:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I still need to get out there and see your alpacas.
View Quote

Just let me know.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Alpaca farm added to the list thanks to Brundoggie. Along with some other cool suggestions.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:54:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Alpaca farm added to the list thanks to Brundoggie. Along with some other cool suggestions.
View Quote

We're looking forward to it!
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 4:55:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Forgot to mention I'm at Shot Show.  Let me know if you want to meet up and chat.  I'll be here for a couple more days.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 4:19:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Forgot to mention I'm at Shot Show.  Let me know if you want to meet up and chat.  I'll be here for a couple more days.
View Quote

I would have. I just missed you. I'm on Kauai now. Starting the trail tomorrow. Heading to Big Island on the 25th.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:44:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Visit the National parks that are along the way! She might enjoy them mostly the one by Kona because of all the turtle's!

Beautiful walk and she might get to see the sea turtles!

Yes it's because I'm going to be working there soon I put this ad as I myself have never been there to this day! Month form now talk to me!

Yet it seems the most people bitching as people who do not like the outdoors and don't like to walk!
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#20]
A few pictures.

From Brundoggie's Alpaca farm yesterday...And by the way, that burger was freaking delicious.

From the coffee tour we did in the morning. Mail order subscription? I'm going to be more poor.

On Kauai's Kalalau Trail (we did all 22 miles out and back).

From Waimea Canyon

Hawaii was an awesome vacation. We finished it off with a night snorkel for Manta Rays. We saw about 12 for 45 minutes which was awesome. Then got back to the dock and headed to the airport.

I've been in 3 states today (Hawaii, Arizona, California) with two more to go. For all those who had suggestions of what to do and where to go and Brundoggie for opening up his farm for us to visit, thank you. You guys rock!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top