Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2016 11:18:05 PM EDT
I had a temporary Federal job contact me today about a 6 month job in Honaunau with the National park.

I wanted some information about the area like if I need to where to rent what towns are around there? Any information you can give me would be a great help thanks!
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:46:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm trying to find a good place to rent an apartment that would not be to far from the park. Also what do you guys feel the best transportation is bike/walk/motorcycle or scooter?

I'm just looking to get some idea of the area and questions about other things like I'm guessing island boat taxis are common for going to island to island? Thank
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 11:29:23 PM EDT
[#3]
So how do people get from island to island? Sorry I'm very clueless about your state! Been there one time when I was going to Japan when I was in the Marines got to look out the window that is all.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 3:24:16 AM EDT
[#4]
There is one major airline, Hawaiian Airlines, which has daily flights between all of the islands and costs about $200-$300 per round trip.  There are smaller and slightly cheaper airlines too.

The interisland ferry system got killed by environmentalists and isolationists.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 6:04:21 AM EDT
[#5]
My info is dated so take it with a grain of salt. I lived and worked on the west side but moved to the east side back in the early nineties. Nearest communities are, heading south, Keokea, Kealia, Ho'okena, Miloli'i, Ocean View.  North is Honaunau/Ke'ei, Captain Cook, Kealakekua, Kainaliu, Honalo, Keauhou, Kailua-Kona. Not too many apartments in the area until you get down to Kailua-Kona. Roads are fairly narrow, one lane in each direction and traffic can be heavy around rush hour.  Lots of small farms and ag lots with coffee, mac nuts, and avocado.  Rents, gas, food and land are pricey.  Many people have moved south to Ocean View Subdivision and commute to Kailua since land is cheaper there in Ka'u.  I would check Craigslist to see what is available. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Saw the price of items there good thing I will get COLA. So I'm guessing riding a bike to work is not going to happen?
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends, but even if you find a room near the park or near Napo'opo'o you have about a 1000' climb to the nearest store.  Plus the roads I remember were two lane with lots of driveways and side roads to make things even more exciting, If it's just you maybe you can find a room in a coffee shack to rent.  Most of the property near the ocean is pretty expensive especially near Kealakekua Bay.  There are some mom and pop stores along the Mamalahoa Hwy. about three miles uphill but the nearest "supermarket" to the park is in Captain Cook, 10.8 miles, next one would be in Kealakekua, 12.3 miles.  Distances per google.

eta-grammar
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 12:29:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice so what would you suggest the best mode of transportation would be? Don't want to  buy some cheap car that is going to be a problem bike might not be the best option depending on how far I might live. What is the best way to find out about places to rent? It's just going to be me there so a coffee shack would be no problem.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 2:42:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Craigslist or the local paper which is West Hawaii Today.  You can check the Hawaii County website to see if the county bus line goes down to the park.  Check with your co-workers to see if they can help you with temporary housing or catching a ride.  Does the park have employee housing?  Do they have relocation assistance?  Transportation-wise I would prefer a car or truck but that's just me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm finding out about the housing and no relocation assistance since it's only a 6 month job.

I'd like to have a car or truck also but don't want to spend $5k on something I'm only going to use for 6 months
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Just got done with the interview I feel it went well the chief is going to send me info to apply to the permanent opening she has. So there is NO Gov housing and it sounds like they are not going to do anything to help with that. I did see a Coffee shack for $750 a month 10 to 15 miles away on Craigslist. Not sure if I have the job but can wish!

I was thinking if I did get the offer I was going to send myself a care package what do you all think it should have in it for a broke guy for a month? Thinking food and TP. Food being mostly beans and rice. Slow cooker and maybe a small rice cooker. I have lived on a lot less! But other ideas would be nice.

Also how is Amazon and other places on shipping out there? I read you guys don't get amazon streaming? Next is internet/wifi cost and what cell company is best out there? Thanks

Link Posted: 12/12/2016 9:21:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Cheaper than an ER/ ICU stay if you get in a bicycle or scooter accident. Sell it when you leave.

Hawaii is a no fault state re auto insurance.  You have to show proof of insurance and a current safety check to register the vehicle.  You also need an insurance card to pass the safety check.  Cost is $20.00 for the safety check.  Both registration and safety are renewable annually. Registration amount is based on vehicle weight.  No smog checks here yet.

Prime is free with limits related to weight and size, when you try to check out it'll say unable to ship to this address.  You can forget two day shipping unless you want to pay a lot.  Costco has a store just north of Kailaua-Kona, cheapest prices for gas and food in larger sizes.

I have ATT for my cell and Oceanic/ Time Warner cable for my wifi.  I'm not sure about the west side but ATT had the best coverage on this side.  I know we have sprint and verizon here too.

Microwave and Top Ramen. Small gas burner, frying pan, mask, fins, snorkel, stringer and three prong.  Go poke some fish.  Be aware of Ciguatera, it's a thing here.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks that Ciguatera sounds creepy! I'm not much of a fish eating person had bad experience when I was a kid and for the longest time the smell of fish would make me throw up. I have gotten to the point that I can eat Tuna,Tulipe, Salmon, Catfish, swordfish and Mahi Tuna. But Still if it tastes even a little fishy I will not eat it. I'd be willing to try the fish if cooked by someone who know how to cook it.

Funny you Ramen told the wife I was just going to send a cock pot and 10 pounds of pinto beans since I live near the border and can get them for $0.70 per pound. I'm just guessing with the Asian influence around there that they have some good noodle places.

People drive really bad on the island? I'm going to look on CL for a cheap vehicle see what I can find. Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Also are UTV legal for street use?
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:37:50 PM EDT
[#15]
^^^?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:16:47 AM EDT
[#16]
They are utility task vehicle kind of like a Ranger, Mule or Gator.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Not legal here.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#18]
It is a good thing you decided on a car and not a bike or scooter. The roads going down to the park are very windy. Very narrow and there is NO shoulder. Mix all of that with the amount of tourists driving not familiar with the roads and not paying attention and it is not a good combination. I also hope you are not expecting much of the park because it ain't. It would be much more interesting to work at the volcano IMO.

Most of the more interesting places to go on the island are towards the the northern end of the island so if you want to do any sight seeing or beaching you should plan on driving a good distance. Once you drive past Honaunau heading south there is pretty much nothing until you come back around to Hilo. With the exception of the volcano and south point.

If you want to bring any firearms with you make sure you do some reading on the permitting and registration process. There is an improvised shooting range about 30-40 minutes south from Honaunau that I have shot at many times. You can go out to about 300 YDS. Its been almost 3 years since I left but I doubt it has changed. 2aHawaii forums guys will have more current into.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:42:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is a good thing you decided on a car and not a bike or scooter. The roads going down to the park are very windy. Very narrow and there is NO shoulder. Mix all of that with the amount of tourists driving not familiar with the roads and not paying attention and it is not a good combination. I also hope you are not expecting much of the park because it ain't. It would be much more interesting to work at the volcano IMO.

Most of the more interesting places to go on the island are towards the the northern end of the island so if you want to do any sight seeing or beaching you should plan on driving a good distance. Once you drive past Honaunau heading south there is pretty much nothing until you come back around to Hilo. With the exception of the volcano and south point.

If you want to bring any firearms with you make sure you do some reading on the permitting and registration process. There is an improvised shooting range about 30-40 minutes south from Honaunau that I have shot at many times. You can go out to about 300 YDS. Its been almost 3 years since I left but I doubt it has changed. 2aHawaii forums guys will have more current into.
View Quote

I'd like to work at the volcano but do not have my EMT! If I get the job I'm looking at getting I will be going to school for my EMT! Not like I do not know more then most EMT's I was a combat medic and married to a ER RN for 17 years!

Thanks for the shooting range info! It might be the same place Fed firearm training is done at.?  Sweet thing about being a Fed deal is that state laws do not apply to you! Yet I do not think other then my hi- cap pistol mags there should be a problem in this state? But I will check the laws just to make sure. Last firearm I bought was in IL other then that it's mostly been trade items pistol and rifle when I was in North Dakota.

Also if  I have to deal with people who are happy and wanting to be there! It's a hell of a lot better then being in a place where you are told you are not wanted by your command! Told your the wrong COLOR! By your command. It would be truth a snooze fest BUT people respect you there!
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#20]
The shooting range is at Manuka state reserve. Its basically consists of 3 improvised "ranges" (think old tv's and other various crap shot up and maybe table made of pallets to shoot from) off of the highway up a short gravel road. You are probably thinking of pohakuloa training area which is located between Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa on saddle road.

I don't know what color you are but if you are white, in HI you will at some point probably come across someone who looks down on you because of that. There is a public access beach/picnic area down at Honaunau where alot of locals go. If your job is to tell them to take a hike because it's closing time or to enforce no alcohol rules... Well have fun with that.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:14:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The shooting range is at Manuka state reserve. Its basically consists of 3 improvised "ranges" (think old tv's and other various crap shot up and maybe table made of pallets to shoot from) off of the highway up a short gravel road. You are probably thinking of pohakuloa training area which is located between Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa on saddle road.

I don't know what color you are but if you are white, in HI you will at some point probably come across someone who looks down on you because of that. There is a public access beach/picnic area down at Honaunau where alot of locals go. If your job is to tell them to take a hike because it's closing time or to enforce no alcohol rules... Well have fun with that.
View Quote

Yes I'm white but use to work on an Indian reservation in the Dakotas had a few people who just did not like me but had many people who would only deal with me because I'm fair and have that rare gift most police officers don't have that is common sense and the ability to understand peoples point of few. I did my job and at times helped people when I know there rights were being violated. I have a little tack and understand its better to talk them into handcuffs then fight them into handcuffs! I'm the type of police officer that you want to show up. A lot of people where upset to see me leave more then that where happy to see me leave.

Understand there are always going to be that person has to be that person that you just can't get through most of the time they are drunk! Yet 99% of the time most people if sober are easy to talk to and make them understand. 95% of the time people who are drunk I can make them understand or not put up a fight.  Talking is easy part once you see how your subject acts on first contact you can read them like a book there speech how there body language is. I enjoy police work and helping out people mostly its nice for the people to know not all police are jack a$$es there are still a lot out there that are like me that feel the oath they took means something and the Constitution is still alive and it is the sword and shield of the people of these great states!
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 4:46:07 AM EDT
[#22]
I live in Kealakekua. Work in Kona. Get A CAR/Truck. Traffic can be bad. 45 to an hour to go 15 miles, but with idiots on cell phones, coming off 2nd jobs or just plain bad on a two lane road.l with. Onshoulder.  BIke or scooter should not be good up mauka(up slope-towards mountain) learn this term, along with makai( towards ocean) Not many folks use N-S-E-W cardinal directions.

Rents are at an all time high BUT coffee season is ending so some farm apts should be coming available. Craigslist for rentals. Also try Clark Realty n Century 21. Largest property managers.

ATT n Verizon for cell. Sprint n T-mobile in that area are useless.

Only cable company is Time Warner.

Banking-no national "banks" like BOA or Wells. If you have a CRedit Union, there is a CU in Kealakekua that may be connected to yours via a national network so you can "bank" there as if you were in your home CU.

Quoted:
Cheaper than an ER/ ICU stay if you get in a bicycle or scooter accident. Sell it when you leave.

Hawaii is a no fault state re auto insurance.  You have to show proof of insurance and a current safety check to register the vehicle.  You also need an insurance card to pass the safety check.  Cost is $20.00 for the safety check.  Both registration and safety are renewable annually. Registration amount is based on vehicle weight.  No smog checks here yet.

Prime is free with limits related to weight and size, when you try to check out it'll say unable to ship to this address.  You can forget two day shipping unless you want to pay a lot.  Costco has a store just north of Kailaua-Kona, cheapest prices for gas and food in larger sizes.

I have ATT for my cell and Oceanic/ Time Warner cable for my wifi.  I'm not sure about the west side but ATT had the best coverage on this side.  I know we have sprint and verizon here too.

Microwave and Top Ramen. Small gas burner, frying pan, mask, fins, snorkel, stringer and three prong.  Go poke some fish.  Be aware of Ciguatera, it's a thing here.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/24/2016 4:03:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hey Bro-if you did get the job n are out n about, just know that your enforcement of alcohol and riding in back of pickups has been made note of.
"Brah watch it cuz. New guy down Honaunau real strict. Givin' out choke tickets". :).

Just busting your nuts. N welcome.

quote]Quoted:

Yes I'm white but use to work on an Indian reservation in the Dakotas had a few people who just did not like me but had many people who would only deal with me because I'm fair and have that rare gift most police officers don't have that is common sense and the ability to understand peoples point of few. I did my job and at times helped people when I know there rights were being violated. I have a little tack and understand its better to talk them into handcuffs then fight them into handcuffs! I'm the type of police officer that you want to show up. A lot of people where upset to see me leave more then that where happy to see me leave.

Understand there are always going to be that person has to be that person that you just can't get through most of the time they are drunk! Yet 99% of the time most people if sober are easy to talk to and make them understand. 95% of the time people who are drunk I can make them understand or not put up a fight.  Talking is easy part once you see how your subject acts on first contact you can read them like a book there speech how there body language is. I enjoy police work and helping out people mostly its nice for the people to know not all police are jack a$es there are still a lot out there that are like me that feel the oath they took means something and the Constitution is still alive and it is the sword and shield of the people of these great states!
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top