Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2016 11:59:52 PM EDT
The wife is headed there for a job next week, gonna pop in for a few days myself. Where do the "locals" go for sushi. Would love to do a Omakase. Any place worth the money more that the others?

Thanks for any insight. This is the only place on the need to do list not nailed down yet.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:40:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Genki Sushi is not bad.  It depends on how much you want to spend and how much of a variety of sushi you want to eat.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#2]
For the expensive side, I've been to Mitches Fish Market which was good but looking at around $80-$100+ per person.  I've also was going to try Sushi Sasabune which I've heard a lot of good things.

But honestly to me sushi tastes the same whereever I go.  So I usually go to Genki Sushi which is like the Denny's of sushi.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 10:08:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Kahuku Supperette.  Best poke on the island!!  Even better they sell it on top of rice..best poke bowl on the island!

But for sushi, Morimoto's is good as well as Sushi Izakaya Gaku. Genki is extremely popular, even with the Japanese tourists.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 10:32:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kahuku Supperette.  Best poke on the island!!  Even better they sell it on top of rice..best poke bowl on the island!

But for sushi, Morimoto's is good as well as Sushi Izakaya Gaku. Genki is extremely popular, even with the Japanese tourists.
View Quote

my man
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 11:45:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks ya'll. Wife heads there in the morn,for work, and i will be there in a few days. We have decided for the tasting at Morimott's we could eat a ton of food at other places. Got some reservations at Doraku. But we will more than likely hit up the other local favorites Instead of a luau i figured we could hit up Helena's for a luau taste without the cost and having to sit through the rest of the show.

Last time i was there it was for work just out of high school. Helped build the lakes at the Westin Kuai aroud the golf course "welding" the plastic liners for the lakes. Cant remember if it was the red or blue centipedes that would mess you up, but i remember picking up plastic sheets at the end of the day and the locals went crazy because one was under some. If they ran, i ran!
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For the expensive side, I've been to Mitches Fish Market which was good but looking at around $80-$100+ per person.  I've also was going to try Sushi Sasabune which I've heard a lot of good things.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Don't go to Sasabune, it's way over rated and they're riding on a "best in town" that was almost 15 years ago.  The place stinks now, like literally sticks as if they hadn't cleaned for a few days.

Akasaka is one of my favorites, it's by Ala Moana, right next door to a seedy strip bar.  If Ray is working behind the bar he'll take care of you.  Don't let the owner try to talk you into stuff you don't want.

Another place that I like is Sushi Murayama, they're close to Ala Moana as well (I'm working the assumption that you're staying in Waikiki.

Quoted:
But honestly to me sushi tastes the same whereever I go.  So I usually go to Genki Sushi which is like the Denny's of sushi.

I appreciate that honesty!

Genki is alright if you like the kaiten style of sushi, they're all over.  Kuru Kuru is another one, some say it' better than Genki.

Anyways good luck in finding a place!
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks ya'll. Wife heads there in the morn,for work, and i will be there in a few days. We have decided for the tasting at Morimott's we could eat a ton of food at other places. Got some reservations at Doraku. But we will more than likely hit up the other local favorites Instead of a luau i figured we could hit up Helena's for a luau taste without the cost and having to sit through the rest of the show.

Last time i was there it was for work just out of high school. Helped build the lakes at the Westin Kuai aroud the golf course "welding" the plastic liners for the lakes. Cant remember if it was the red or blue centipedes that would mess you up, but i remember picking up plastic sheets at the end of the day and the locals went crazy because one was under some. If they ran, i ran!
View Quote

If you're looking for Hawaiian food, IMO (nothing humble about it) Onos Hawaiian food and Youngs fish market are much better places to go, then Helenas would bring up the number 3 spot lol.

Anyways I hope you enjoy your stay and have fun while you're here!
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 3:41:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I forgot to put down irifune restaurant in Waikiki off of kapahulu ave near by the zippy there
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Cross Genki Sushi off your list.  Health Dept shut them down for Hep A contamination.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 1:19:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the info. We did DoraKu and were pleased. I just got back tonight and the wife will return tomorow. We went to the North Shore every chance we could after we did the tourist stuff to get away from the "tourist"

Ate at Ono Hawaiian Foods and what was funny was the flavors we had are what i cook all the time here at home in MS, minus the Poi and Lomi Salmon. The Laulau pork tasted just like my green's and pig in a pot in a nice bundled up package, and the Kalua pork like mine i put on the smoker except i use pecan. Don't get me wrong....it was all excellent but my wife and i both said "hell, the Hawaiin's are just southern folk on a island in the Pacific".  What i must know is the recipe to the coconut jello. That was clean and refreshing. Bread pudding texture almost minus the raisins. Hospitality and all, we felt at home FAR away from it!
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 1:23:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Cross Genki Sushi off your list.  Health Dept shut them down for Hep A contamination.
View Quote

LOL, yeah, the wife was watching that all the time with the outbreak going on. And to be honest, wasn't impressed with Giovani's...to much oil. The wife said mine was better but i'm from Sicillian blood and have my own twist to it, but i'm happy she is making a killing at it!

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 1:50:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the info. We did DoraKu and were pleased. I just got back tonight and the wife will return tomorow. We went to the North Shore every chance we could after we did the tourist stuff to get away from the "tourist"

Ate at Ono Hawaiian Foods and what was funny was the flavors we had are what i cook all the time here at home in MS, minus the Poi and Lomi Salmon. The Laulau pork tasted just like my green's and pig in a pot in a nice bundled up package, and the Kalua pork like mine i put on the smoker except i use pecan. Don't get me wrong....it was all excellent but my wife and i both said "hell, the Hawaiin's are just southern folk on a island in the Pacific".  What i must know is the recipe to the coconut jello. That was clean and refreshing. Bread pudding texture almost minus the raisins. Hospitality and all, we felt at home FAR away from it!
View Quote

The coconut jello is probably haupia ( pronounced HOW-PEE-UH).  If your wife is still here, tell her to stop by a supermarket and buy some ready mix bags.  I think you just add water and let it sit just like jello. Never made it myself but have seen it in stores.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Glad to hear you had fun.

My friends from Georgia say that lau lau is like collard greens and pulled pork in one dish.... kalua pork is just pulled pork done in keawe

the coconut jello is haupia.  There are some receipts online but if you want some ready mix lemme know I'll send a care package.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top