Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2016 5:10:13 PM EDT
Hey all, getting ready to PCS to HI. I've been searching around, and seen allusions to this, but was hoping for some first-hand information.  Would I be able to register an AR pistol with the gas tube removed as a single shot (eg bolt action) pistol? Has anyone actually done this?
t
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 3:57:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I avoided brining mine out here. Not what should be done to get it registered appropriately.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 1:33:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Smells fishy. If the gas block was still there, it would look like it can be readily converted to shoot semi-auto.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 3:07:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out user posts by SUKA at the 2aHawaii.com website.  He's on it as far as AOW and AR pistols in Hawaii.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#4]
After you do your research, check with HPD to confirm before you bring it here as it's a class C felony.  http://www.honolulupd.org/index.php

Couple other options are remove the barrel from the upper so it's not readily usable or considered a pistol upper,  and just register the lower.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Leave it home. Not worth the trouble dealing with Hawaii's stupid gun laws. I know...I was born and raised there, and left for Las Vegas 23 years ago. No regrets.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 8:57:49 PM EDT
[#6]
"Assault pistol" means a semiautomatic pistol which accepts a detachable magazine and which has two or more of the following characteristics:

(1)  An ammunition magazine which attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(2)  A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward hand grip, or silencer;

(3)  A shroud which is attached to or partially or completely encircles the barrel and which permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the second hand without being burned;

(4)  A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded;

(5)  A centerfire pistol with an overall length of twelve inches or more; or

(6)  It is a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm;

but does not include a firearm with a barrel sixteen or more inches in length, an antique pistol as defined in this section or a curio or relic as those terms are used in 18 United States Code §921(16) or 27 Code of Federal Regulations 178.11.

Franklin Armory DFM Magazine should be able to bypass these stupid criteria.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 9:48:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I strongly suggest you contact HPD first to check if they will accept this, or they may confiscate your pistol.

HPD's philosophy seems to be "not readily convertible" which usually requires soldering, welding, riveting, and other not so nice treatments.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 10:38:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I strongly suggest you contact HPD first to check if they will accept this, or they may confiscate your pistol.

HPD's philosophy seems to be "not readily convertible" which usually requires soldering, welding, riveting, and other not so nice treatments.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It top loads and held in by the bolt catch. Only way to remove is to removing the roll pin.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It top loads and held in by the bolt catch. Only way to remove is to removing the roll pin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hawaii doesn't have the bullet button exception or like stuff in other states.  The usual criteria is how easily can it be converted.  If it's welded on, it would be extremely difficult to undo.

Yea I know, if a bad guy wants to do it just attach the pistol upper to a rifle lower.  I don't make the rules.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Hawaii doesn't have the bullet button exception or like stuff in other states.  The usual criteria is how easily can it be converted.  If it's welded on, it would be extremely difficult to undo.

Yea I know, if a bad guy wants to do it just attach the pistol upper to a rifle lower.  I don't make the rules.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I'll need to call HPD before I plan to move back
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top