Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2016 9:22:13 AM EDT
Wife has potential promotions/growth in her company that could one day in the next 3-5 years see us moving there. So I had a few questions as I know nothing about Hawaii.

The job would be on Kauai.

So how is Kauai?

Whats the temps like in the different seasons?

What's housing like?

What's crime like?

Schools?

What's food cost? How much Is a pound of chicken, frozen veggies, potatoes etc?

Soil ok for gardens like tomatoes?

What is there to do in Hawaii? Is there any hunting?

Off road riding like on a dirt bike?

How is Internet on the islands? Good enough to game/stream movies?

Are there venemous spiders and snakes in Hawaii?

How easy/cheap is it to hop to other islands?

I'm guessing fishing is good there? Is there good fishing from land as opposed to sea?

Looks like guns/ARs are allowed? How about CCW?

Thanks for any answers you all may have.

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 3:31:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I was stationed in Hawaii for 3 years about in the 90's and it was fun, but damn expensive, guns yes, but I believe that they all have to be registered these days.

Fuel was expensive back then, can't imagine it is not now.  Food was expensive as I am sure it now.   Diving was great, there is really not much to do on Kauai, it is a small Island, and the slogan back then was it was an island for the Newly wed or Nearly dead.

There was a typhoon that hit Kauai a few years ago and I have heard they didn't rebuild a lot of the stuff that got damaged.

A buddy of mine lives on Kauai and he said in most areas the island is very quiet and jobs are not easy to come by, so you might want to investigate a bit on the job possibilities.  If I were to go back, it would only be with a lot of money in the bank so I didn't have to worry about finding a job.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So how is Kauai?

Whats the temps like in the different seasons?

What's housing like?

What's crime like?

Schools?

What's food cost? How much Is a pound of chicken, frozen veggies, potatoes etc?

Soil ok for gardens like tomatoes? Yes.

What is there to do in Hawaii? Is there any hunting?  Axis on Maui, Molokai and Lanai.  Sheep on Lanai and Big Island.  The elusive blacktail on Kauai.  Pigs everywhere.  Niihau has some safari type stuff, but its a private paid hunt.

How is Internet on the islands? Good enough to game/stream movies? There is high speed internet.

Are there venemous spiders and snakes in Hawaii? No snakes thank god.  Dunno about spiders on Kauai but Hawaii in general has widows, recluses, and cane spiders.

How easy/cheap is it to hop to other islands?  https://www.islandair.com/  https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/

I'm guessing fishing is good there? Is there good fishing from land as opposed to sea?  Yes, both are good.  

Looks like guns/ARs are allowed? Yes.

How about CCW? Nope.

I don't live there... hopefully someone on island can add more.  
View Quote

Thanks for the response! Sucks to hear about the spiders.

How long have you lived there? What do you like and dislike about living there? Have you lived other places oh can compare it to?

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 9:02:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was stationed in Hawaii for 3 years about in the 90's and it was fun, but damn expensive, guns yes, but I believe that they all have to be registered these days.

Fuel was expensive back then, can't imagine it is not now.  Food was expensive as I am sure it now.   Diving was great, there is really not much to do on Kauai, it is a small Island, and the slogan back then was it was an island for the Newly wed or Nearly dead.

There was a typhoon that hit Kauai a few years ago and I have heard they didn't rebuild a lot of the stuff that got damaged.

A buddy of mine lives on Kauai and he said in most areas the island is very quiet and jobs are not easy to come by, so you might want to investigate a bit on the job possibilities.  If I were to go back, it would only be with a lot of money in the bank so I didn't have to worry about finding a job.
View Quote

Thank you for the info.

The wife would already have a job if we moved, so at least one job taken care of.

What island were you stationed on?
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:27:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thank you for the info.

The wife would already have a job if we moved, so at least one job taken care of.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for the info.

I lived in Kailua-Kona which is on the big Island, I did a lot of my work training people in the Moonscape area which is on top of Mona Loa, but I traveled around the islands a lot because various military detachments on each island.  I was pretty much on an airplane or in a Helo every day.  As far as my station, I worked out of Pearl.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty sure cane spiders aren't poison, just got some good size.

30rd+ mags are legal, pistol mags exceeding 10 are not allowed.

Im lying in Lake Tahoe, NV right now. From Oahu, you should learn to love the beach and hiking. It'll become redundant, as does everywhere.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 3:17:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 3:24:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:41:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Kane spiders are not poison, in fact you can blow on them and their legs will fall off, now you do have to watch out for them freaking armored millipedes, them suckers bite ya and you will be sick for 6 months!
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 2:34:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:20:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Centipedes.

Also we have scorpions too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kane spiders are not poison, in fact you can blow on them and their legs will fall off, now you do have to watch out for them freaking armored millipedes, them suckers bite ya and you will be sick for 6 months!

Centipedes.

Also we have scorpions too.

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 4:22:05 PM EDT
[#12]
No firearm ranges open to the public on Kauai.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No firearm ranges open to the public on Kauai.
View Quote

Private ranges? Distances offered? Price?
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 2:33:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't think they have any ranges you can go to.  Get a hunting license and shoot in the forest, make a friend with a large land owner, etc.

Kauai's not the place to be if you want to shoot.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#15]
JGB Arms in Lihue shows live-fire classes, and the course descriptions indicate rain gear so they must have their own range.  Anybody shoot with these folks?

http://www.jgbarms.com/personal-defense-training.html
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 2:38:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'd love to get over there and hunt some Blacktail someday.  From what I hear, it's way harder than Axis (who will walk right past you... that is until your friend opens up on them like he's reacting to a goddamn near ambush DONNIEBRASCO).
View Quote

I don't know how I'd adjust from hunting elk in the rut to deer and hogs.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:07:35 AM EDT
[#19]
I may be biased since I'm from there, and my family is from there, but I think Kauai is the best place on earth.  My wife and I are looking at moving there permanently in about 1.5 years.

The weather is great all year long.  It's expensive to live there, but you pay to live in paradise.  The gun laws are OK, but not great.  No NFA which sucks!  The crime is very low though.

If you love the outdoors, being active, and especially the ocean, then you will LOVE it.  I have a passion for surfing, fishing, and going out to sea with my boat there.

In the end, it's a great place.  Of course it has some liberal drawbacks from all the hippies that have moved there since the 1960s, so it's not perfect, but no place is.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:11:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Wife has potential promotions/growth in her company that could one day in the next 3-5 years see us moving there. So I had a few questions as I know nothing about Hawaii.

The job would be on Kauai.

So how is Kauai? Rural.

Whats the temps like in the different seasons? Pretty much mid-70s to mid-80s all year round unless you live at altitude

What's housing like? Expensive and somewhat limited on Kauai

What's crime like? Property crime (theft, burglary) are a problem but violent crime is some of the lowest in the nation

Schools?  Pretty much suck unless you go private

What's food cost? How much Is a pound of chicken, frozen veggies, potatoes etc? Varies, you gotta watch for sales.

Soil ok for gardens like tomatoes? Yep

What is there to do in Hawaii? Is there any hunting? Yes, birds and some game mammals

How is Internet on the islands? Good enough to game/stream movies? Yep.  I'm on satellite internet and can stream

Are there venemous spiders and snakes in Hawaii? No snakes. Some spiders like black widows and we have centipedes.  Not a problem by mainland standards

How easy/cheap is it to hop to other islands? I routinely fly to other islands for business meetings and return same day.  Its like catching a bus.

I'm guessing fishing is good there? Is there good fishing from land as opposed to sea? Yep

Looks like guns/ARs are allowed? How about CCW? No CCW but ARs are allowed

Thanks for any answers you all may have.

View Quote

Aloha
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:08:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for all the answers so far.

It got brought up again, limited In discussion. It'd be for 2 years. Wife would already have a job lined up so at least there's that.

Are there decent hospitals and daycares on any of the islands? we have a young son and want to eventually have more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top