Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2017 7:08:53 PM EDT
I thought I'd never finish the damn thing.

Link Posted: 6/3/2017 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Good looking build. Want to shoot a few  Sunday ?   Gunman53
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:24:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good looking build. Want to shoot a few  Sunday ?   Gunman53
View Quote
Absolutely! See you at "the farm".

Gunman53 was very helpful in providing his workbench this morning. We had one hell of a time getting the barrel nut to line up with the gas tube hole while trying to maintain torque within spec. We also had a heck of a time installing the gas tube. As neither of us own a handguard removal tool I had to take the rifle elsewhere later in the day to complete that final task (took about two minutes).

That MOE-SL  carbine handguard is rock solid but there is no freakin' way you're going to be able to install it without that tool.

Both of us agreed that our next respective builds will have free-float rails.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Good Job. Nice rifle.

If you are going to do more builds, I would suggest that you invest in the 10" Knipex pliers that have smooth parallel jaws. Kind of pricey, but super handy for other things besides AR build work. Well, made German quality.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000X4OG94?tag=vglnk-c102-20

PS: They work great for squeezing in roll pins without getting hammer or pin punch scratches on the receiver. Put some electrical tape over the jaws.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 4:46:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll look into one of those.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 8:33:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice looking rifle Ponti.

I am sure you have a spare part hanging around. If you are already looking into the idea of including them into your next build, you officially have BRD.

You picked a good time to build. When I built several of mine in 2010, the costs were closer to $700.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 2:52:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nice looking rifle Ponti.

I am sure you have a spare part hanging around. If you are already looking into the idea of including them into your next build, you officially have BRD.

You picked a good time to build. When I built several of mine in 2010, the costs were closer to $700.
View Quote
I have already started my next build. The BRD is strong.

Build 2 will be FDE MOE SL stock/grip/handguard with a FDE free-float rail and mid-length gas system. Look for a completion date  sometime in 2019
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have already started my next build. The BRD is strong.

Build 2 will be FDE MOE SL stock/grip/handguard with a FDE free-float rail and mid-length gas system. Look for a completion date  sometime in 2019
View Quote
Well, If you are going that route, order the FDE upper and lower set from Aero Precision and be really kick *ss.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 4:26:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Timing those nuts even with shims in a free float setup can be a lot of fun- not.  I've had a few that took more than a beer to get right.  Tighten it up, knock it loose then retighten; knock it loose then retighten again- and that's with a proper wrench.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 9:27:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Grats on your first AR! Nice work.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:36:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd like to put together something like this as my second build. I already have the FDE Stock/Grip/trigger guard, lower receiver, and LPK parts except the FCG. Gas system will be mid-length and definitely a free-float M-LOK rail and and optic:

Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Fancy- have you tried the Bravo Company Gunfighter grips and charging handle?  I've been happy with mine and use the BCM med charging handle; can't recall which grip I use at the moment.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 4:25:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Fancy- have you tried the Bravo Company Gunfighter grips and charging handle?  I've been happy with mine and use the BCM med charging handle; can't recall which grip I use at the moment.
View Quote
I have a BCM Mod 4 (med) on my current build.

I have checked out BCM's grip on a Springfield Armory Saint at LGS. Felt pretty good.

d16man uses Magpul K2 grips on some of his builds and I found them to be very comfortable. I like the MOE SL grip as I have fairly large hands but short fingers. The grip is a nice compromise between thin and vertical angle.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 4:43:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I completed the lower on build 2 yesterday. Carrie at PSA Farrow told me that their EPT enhanced trigger groups were on sale so I saved some bucks over buying the standard mil-spec FCG.

No Magpul trinkets on this one. End plate is Griffin Armament and the bolt catch and magazine button I'll leave stock. Saved $70 that way.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 8:30:26 PM EDT
[#15]
15" rail (Matrix Arms/Chandler Hardwoods) arrived today.

(decided not to use it as it has no anti-rotation features)
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Build 2 is a barrel away from up and running....
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Primary Arms has some of their barrels on sale as well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 6:29:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Primary Arms has some of their barrels on sale as well.
View Quote
Everyone seems to have barrels on sale.

I'm looking for a 16" 5.56 NATO with 1:8 twist, mid-length gas system, nitride finish with a .750 gas block journal.

PSA offers this in a "freedom" barrel for $99.

Faxon also has one for $166.

http://faxonfirearms.com/16-govt-socom-5-56-nato-mid-length-4150-qpq/

The PSA barrel is in my price range but I'd really prefer the Faxon.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 1:58:01 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd save up and get what you want. There are some great barrels out there and prices are down. If I am correct PSA has acquired DC Machine in Summerville and that's who's doing the majority of their barrels now. Somebody in the know please chime in and confirm. Not a lot of info on the web about DC but have seen an older catalong and they have a pretty decent catalog of offerings/capability from their shop.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I never knew DC Machine even existed and I used to drive past their plant all the time.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:47:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 6:40:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you need any help tipping you over the edge, we always back our product 100%.

Let us know how we can help in any way.
View Quote
You win.  

I'm going with a Faxon barrel from JBO. My only undecided is whether to go with a SOCOM or a pencil barrel.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:03:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 5:37:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Once you go light, you see the light...
View Quote
Another possibility is the Faxon "Gunner" barrel. Although RTB is currently out of them when they're back in stock a price of $154 is doable. One-tenth of a pound heavier than the pencil barrel with reinforcement in the rear where it's needed.

Yeah, I could go for that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Exactly why we designed it!
View Quote
I bit on one yesterday from Right To Bear
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 10:03:36 PM EDT
[#27]
And now this one's done:

Will watch the Black Friday sales for an optic but in truth I'm a bit BRD'd out right now. Building 'em isn't much fun if there's no place nearby to get range time.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 10:55:48 PM EDT
[#28]
I feel your pain Ponti, I got booted from my shooting spot last week. Seems one of the property owners put a deer stand back behind the range area area and didn't tell anyone until last week, after I went and tested a new rifle. Have to wait till the end of deer season before I can go back. Doesn't feel right having to go to an indoor range to shoot ........  Gotta find a new spot in the meantime. Good lookin' build
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm told I'm the newest member of the "Mid-Length Mafia"

BTW the STNGR handguard was stupid easy to install.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 4:31:18 PM EDT
[#30]
First function tests indicate this rifle (esp. this Faxon barrel) is a tack-driver.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:09:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Nice looking rifle you have there!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top