Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2017 1:56:20 AM EDT
Trip to Charleston was a blast!  Thanks for all the advice in the other thread, however SC cops were not the kindest to my drive back up 17 as I got a ticket for 12 over in a 55mph in Georgetown.

Pretty stupid considering the roads were empty, completely flat, and a long straightaway.  But I digress...

Any locals know of good traffic attorneys in the AO?

Can a lawyer represent me in court?  I really don't want to drive 3.5hrs back to SC for a court date, but want to fight to get it reduced.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 8:49:21 AM EDT
[#1]
You can always just mail the certified funds back.

And welcome to rural town SC law enforcement. Trust me G-town is far from the worst for speed trap.  And 12 over is always a ticket.

If only you had been going <9 over, you may not have had to give such a gracious donation to the city/county/state.

How many points did they hit you with? You may get 4 down to 2, but unlikely to drop 2 any amount.

Not being able to make the trip back(and don't speed if you do because irony is not your friend here), all I can say is good luck.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:28:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can always just mail the certified funds back.

And welcome to rural town SC law enforcement. Trust me G-town is far from the worst for speed trap.  And 12 over is always a ticket.

If only you had been going <9 over, you may not have had to give such a gracious donation to the city/county/state.

How many points did they hit you with? You may get 4 down to 2, but unlikely to drop 2 any amount.

Not being able to make the trip back(and don't speed if you do because irony is not your friend here), all I can say is good luck.
View Quote
Actually it was more like 23 over but he reduced it

it was 4 points, not sure how that translates to NC.  I'm mainly just looking to minimize insurance increases.

I'd also prefer to fight than just give in.  I've emailed a few attorneys, not sure if they will be able to help much.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:56:45 AM EDT
[#3]
So, you were actually caught doing 78 in a 55.

In NC, I am pretty sure that gets you a free ride in the back seat.

The cop has already given you your break. Taking it to court may just be more expensive.  

In these towns where speed traps are notorious, they are in it for the money and they thrive on out-of-towners.

Of course, there is always the chance the cop may not show, but you better pepper your angus if he does (and likely will).

My original good luck still stands for this coming out any better than it already is.  Own up to your actions, take the insurance hit, and... slow down!!  Yes, I know that is sucky advice to accept.

Either way, let us know how it works out. It would be an interesting tale of "I fought the law, and _____ won".
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 2:05:14 PM EDT
[#4]
if it were more than 15 over NC would have suspended my license, so he did do me a favor by reducing it for sure.

Still just sucks when the road was completely empty.  But I know it's my fault.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
if it were more than 15 over NC would have suspended my license, so he did do me a favor by reducing it for sure.

Still just sucks when the road was completely empty.  But I know it's my fault.
View Quote
Was it a trooper? If all you want is a reduction, the magistrates will almost always reduce a 4 point ticket to 2. If you can appear in court, try to speak to the officer prior to court to make sure that he doesn't object. Then, plead guilty and ask for a reduction. My guess is 2 points and $81.00

You don't really need to hire a lawyer if you just want some help.

If you want a trial, just send in a letter and ask for a jury trial. Jury trials will be scheduled weeks or months later. Just be prepared that if you lose, you probably won't get a reduction.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 12:27:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Was it a trooper? If all you want is a reduction, the magistrates will almost always reduce a 4 point ticket to 2. If you can appear in court, try to speak to the officer prior to court to make sure that he doesn't object. Then, plead guilty and ask for a reduction. My guess is 2 points and $81.00

You don't really need to hire a lawyer if you just want some help.

If you want a trial, just send in a letter and ask for a jury trial. Jury trials will be scheduled weeks or months later. Just be prepared that if you lose, you probably won't get a reduction.
View Quote
lawyer says he thinks he can get it either dismissed or reduced to some fine that won't affect insurance.  Seems like he's probably done it about a thousand times before

ETA:  Yeah a trooper
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 6:21:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Troopers cannot write "careless operation" or other similar charges. They can only write tickets for the actual moving violation, like speeding. The attorney might be able to get it dismissed, but if he gets a reduction, it will be the same exact reduction that you could get by asking the judge. Either way, good luck.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 1:04:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Troopers cannot write "careless operation" or other similar charges. They can only write tickets for the actual moving violation, like speeding. The attorney might be able to get it dismissed, but if he gets a reduction, it will be the same exact reduction that you could get by asking the judge. Either way, good luck.
View Quote
actually I think it was the sheriffs dept. not troopers
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top