Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2017 8:39:49 PM EDT
I have a carry permit in my current state, it is not reciprocal with SC.  I'm planning to move to SC, so to get a CWP do I need to "start over" by taking the course, etc?  Aside from the course, and fingerprints are there any other requirements, like meeting with a CLEO or anything like that?

If so, any recommendations in the Charleston area to take the course with?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 2:39:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Yup, got to sit through it again. You can skip the legals (most of it) if you are a LEO.

Most CWP courses are one stop shop. Legals, firearms qual and prints. No other requirements, sign offs or anything.

Many courses are cut rate no frills designed to meet the minimum standard of the law, generally 60-90 bucks for those. One I took was 75 if I recall and that included prints and qualifying on their 22 pistols with their ammo. It on no way constituted a "training" course in terms of increasing proficiency, but that wasn't  what I was looking for.

Others are more expensive and include quality instruction and focus on giving the student a useful foundation of skills. The problem lies in those cases where the course is more expensive without the greater depth.

I'm in the midlands so I can't help you on recommendations other than knowing the guys (Tim and Bryan) at Shoot logic in Reevesville, SC are good guys and damn good shooters with a great facility. They are on the quality end of the scale and a little pricier but worth it IMO. I shot beside them at a Pat MacNamara class they hosted at their range a month or two ago. I took top shot day one and they were top one and two on day two. I'll be going there again as they bring in some great trainers.

Welcome to SC! Where you coming from?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 7:49:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm in the midlands so I can't help you on recommendations other than knowing the guys (Tim and Bryan) at Shoot logic in Reevesville, SC are good guys and damn good shooters with a great facility. They are on the quality end of the scale and a little pricier but worth it IMO. I shot beside them at a Pat MacNamara class they hosted at their range a month or two ago. I took top shot day one and they were top one and two on day two. I'll be going there again as they bring in some great trainers.
View Quote
I'll second this. Tim and Brian know their stuff. I've taken a couple classes from them and they've never disappointed. It looks like Shoot Logic has a CWP class on June 10th.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:35:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I highly recommend this class.

They're over on Johns Island.

Gunners
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 12:36:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'll second this. Tim and Brian know their stuff. I've taken a couple classes from them and they've never disappointed. It looks like Shoot Logic has a CWP class on June 10th.
View Quote
I assist at Shootlogic as an RO. I'm biased. Great guys, for sure.They know their material, and are strong instructors.

I also support Tommy and Brian during CWP classes, helping to cover the opening material on nomenclature and basic operations. Brian's (and Tim's) mastery of draw, presentation, stance, malfunctions, maintenance and safety procedures is top notch. Tommy's delivery of the legals in the afternoon is second to none.

It's a VERY comprehensive CWP class, and there are a few interesting and unique things we do around basics for draw, grip, etc before the shooting qualification. Of course, we have to stop the coaching / teaching when the shooting qual starts - the students must qual on their own with what they "brought" and we focus only on the procedural and safety side of the shooting portion.

Again, I'm biased, but it's worth it. 100%. You WILL learn, not just sit through it to pass it.

Link to class calendar. Next cwp is June 10.

http://www.shootlogic.com/class-calendar.html
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 4:38:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Palmetto State Armory in Summerville offers $50 CWP class. I think you can check class schedules and reserve a spot in classes on www.psadefense.com

They offer single day (8hr) classes and they offer two-day (4hr per class) classes in the evening for those that either can't or don't want to sit through a single 8hr class at one time.

http://psadefense.com/schedule-18/summerville/
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

For that price is it just the class, or is it one-stop-shopping including the paperwork and prints? There was another shop around that just taught the class and you had to go do everything else yourself.
View Quote
The only thing you have to do is pay SLED their $50 processing fee and mail in your packet.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:10:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys!  And keystone-coming from CT.

That more in depth class does sound great, but that's not really what I'm looking for.  I just want to take a quick class to get my permit when I get down there as quickly as possible.  The PSA class sounds like just what I'm looking for.

It would have been nice to turn my CT carry permit in and get the SC one automitally.  Such a shame the states don't work like that(like drivers licenses).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top