Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2017 10:34:21 AM EDT
Hi all, will probably be visiting the Simpsonville area towards the end of the month to see if it's a suitable place to head for when I eventually escape NY. Anything in particular I should know about the area? Any recommendations for gun shops, ranges or restaurants? How does SC BBQ stack up to Texas and Tennessee BBQ? Thanks in advance...
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Upstate Armory is in Simpsonville, and they are good people to deal with.  Up 385 a few miles is Greenville, they have a Palmetto State Armory and a Cabelas (pricey).

SC BBQ is great, more pork based than Texas beef/brisket.  You can choose from red or mustard sauces.  

I'm from the Charleston area, so I wont know all of the local BBQ places in Simpsonville.  Enjoy your trip
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Stay away from Woodruff Rd. area (heavy traffic), best BBQ is Henry's Smokehouse (in Simpsonville) - BBQ here is Pork, hash is made with pork and beef, no Brunsick stew (Ugh!). Greenville Gun Club nearby - private - check website - have 3 Gun and PCC matches.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#3]
fellow escapee here in the upstate 7 months now, I like Simpsonville and the surrounding area..just looked at a house around Fountain Inn..not too far from Simpsonville. as stated a short drive to Greenville... I currently live in Spartanburg and have found that you can get just about anywhere in the upstate relatively quick.  I am still learning the BBQ spots around but I have started a few threads and the folks here are pretty friendly.   hope ya make the escape!
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Henry's is good BBQ. I prefer Buckys BBQ. There is one in Fountain Inn. Simpsonville is a pretty large area. If you have any questions about housing, schools etc shoot me an I'M. I have lived in Simpsonville for 18 years.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:49:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the info so far, I appreciate it. Any FSA areas to beware of? Any general opinions on Anderson, Greer or Traveler's Rest? Driving down next week...
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#6]
TR is nice (Traveler's Rest). If you will be working in the area, make it your goal to not drive on Woodruff Rd. or I-85. I-385 isn't too bad. Greenville is a happening city! Restaurants, entertainment. Alcohol sold on Sundays. Many micro brewery's. Conceal carry permitted but you can't be drinking.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#7]
If we had it all to do over we would have moved to TR. You're at the base of the mountains and in the last decade the town has done a very good job of revitalizing itself. They now have restaurants, bars and it's the beginning of the Swamp Rabbit trail which goes in to Greenville.
Greer runs the gamut. I have never thought much of Greer but their school schools are generally good if that's a consideration.

Anderson is alright but short of living on Lake Hartwell I wouldn't live there.

Much of this depends on what kind of house you're looking for. Do you want to be in a new subdivision where everyone is on top of each other? Or somewhere with a little space?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Definitely a little space. Sitting in a Waffle House in Greenville now, just walkyd around Falls Park. Good impression so far, nice people.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Also look at Easley or Powdersville. Both are just across the river from Greenville and the taxes are lower. I live in Powdersville and can be in downtown Greenville in 10 minutes. The school district in Powdersville (Anderson District 1) is one of the best in the state. This is a great area because there are people here from all over the country and all over the world.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for all the info so far, I appreciate it. Any FSA areas to beware of? Any general opinions on Anderson, Greer or Traveler's Rest? Driving down next week...
View Quote

Travelers Rest is a fast and up and coming area. With the swamp rabbit trail you can easily bike to downtown Greenville and back (12 miles or so). Because of this a lot of Greenville downtown people ride up to TR. Lots of new restaurants and boutiques have opened with in the last year. In TR you can still get some land with a decent size house. Up side is also the views of table rock on the drive home and close proximity to paris mountain and Jones gap state parks.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:29:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the TR info. We drove around in TR for a little while, went past a house we found on realtor.com. Crazy house, built to look like a castle on 10 acres. But, it is a foreclosure, which could mean lots of hidden problems I'd rather not have to fix after the fact. Also on a fail steep slope, so the 10 acres (wooded) wouldn't be too useful for shooting purposes. Liking Simpsonville  a lot. The Cabell actually has a CZ P09 in stock. Can't find them on LI.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#12]
If you want some good info I am a Real Estate Broker in Greenville Co.
I've relocated a bunch of you guys from hostile territory.  Blue Ridge, TR etc are good rural areas.  PM me if you want my cell etc.
  I have my own private shooting range if you need to be bribed

BTW I am a 4x4 driving low key semi-redneck so I am not trying to talk you into anything. My main focus is Building homes if your looking for brand new.
Simpsonville is overpriced there are a lot better areas now. It was the big place 10 years ago but Duncan is the next boom area and has good deals ( Burns High School area)
        If you call I can drive you around and give a locals tour
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I agree with the poster who said to check out the Powdersville area.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:32:36 PM EDT
[#14]
PM sent.

The guy living in that castle shot and killed a trespasser on the 10 acres about one year ago.  

BBQ is good anywhere in Greenville area. I like Mutts because it's a buffet. You can try different things.

I moved from western NY to Greenville area in 2014.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I agree with the poster who said to check out the Powdersville area.
View Quote

As long as you don't have to drive on I-85 during rush hours!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:45:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Lol I recently looked at that "castle" on Zillow.  Crazy property.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:30:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, seems there's at least two castles around here, I googled the news story about the trespasser getting shot, and it was a completely different castle.
Henry's in Simpsonville was really good, too.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Fountain Inn and Mauldin are the most ghetto of the Golden Strip cities.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top