Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2016 8:56:25 PM EDT
So, I've done a little research. It looks like some courses offer the option for passport photos and fingerprints at the time the course is taken for a small fee. It is my assumption that if you pass the course, you receive whatever certificate or documentation certifying completion at that time (along with the photos and fingerprints if you pay for them).

Then I'm just mailing all that in with the application and the $60 Money Order to the BCI and waiting for approval, right?

As a Texas resident, I'd like the option of utilizing a ND non-resident license when visiting states that don't recognize the TX carry license but accept the ND class 1 license. Not sure if it's worth all the additional expense of air travel and hotel stay, but I'm gathering intel.

Can everything be done in a day?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:24:45 PM EDT
[#1]
You have it right.

Sit through class.  Take test.  Shoot. Gather all paper work together.  Mail it in and wait.

Not sure how it works being a non resident.

Have you read about the shooting requirements?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:13:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for replying!

From what I read, it looks like Inshoot from 7 then 15 yards at an 8.5"X11" target, two handed grip alternating right and left hand. The TX shooting portion had shots required at 7 and 15 yards, as well, so that doesn't worry me. I'm pretty confident about making all my hits on the paper sized target at those ranges.

The eligibility requirements I've read are pretty much the same for TX. One of the requirements was that I had to hold a license to carry in a state with which ND has reciprocity. I have my TX carry license so that's not a problem. The most cost-prohibitive aspect of the entire thing is getting to ND since I have to take the classroom test and shooting test in ND.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:51:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for replying!

From what I read, it looks like Inshoot from 7 then 15 yards at an 8.5"X11" target, two handed grip alternating right and left hand. The TX shooting portion had shots required at 7 and 15 yards, as well, so that doesn't worry me. I'm pretty confident about making all my hits on the paper sized target at those ranges.

The eligibility requirements I've read are pretty much the same for TX. One of the requirements was that I had to hold a license to carry in a state with which ND has reciprocity. I have my TX carry license so that's not a problem. The most cost-prohibitive aspect of the entire thing is getting to ND since I have to take the classroom test and shooting test in ND.
View Quote

Is that true? I am planning to get a nonresident ND C1 permit because of the MN reciprocity change (I refuse to pay MN for a permit  now). I didn't see anything about where the class must be taken, in the handgunlaw.us overview.

edit: I asked a Iowa lawyer and instructor, and he said that he dropped his ND cert because it required that the class happen in ND. That is reallly annoying.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 11:15:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I was living in MN and was in the very first ND instructor certification class. I also dropped my ND credentials because of that restriction.  I also had a terrible time getting any decent and helpful info from the ND BCI.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top