Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2016 11:03:30 AM EDT
I have been reading for about the past 6 hours on the purchase, possession and carrying of a handgun in North Dakota. I still have not been able to takeaway a definite answer. So I have a couple questions to ask.

1) Sources are saying you don't need a CCL to purchase a pistol. Is this true as I am not sure how old the source is? Am I able to walk into a gun store and purchase a pistol without a CCL, just like I would a rifle?

2) I understand that for open carry you are allowed to carry it from one hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset unloaded. Some sources are saying you need a CCL to do just that and some are not mentioning that a CCL is required. So I am wondering if I need a CCL to open carry in ND if I keep the pistol unloaded and carry it between those times?

I picked up my ar lower from my FFL and plan on building an AR pistol but wasn't sure if I needed a CCL to have possession of it when I put the short barrel on it.

I understand this would all be easier if I had my CCL already.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have been reading for about the past 6 hours on the purchase, possession and carrying of a handgun in North Dakota. I still have not been able to takeaway a definite answer. So I have a couple questions to ask.

1) Sources are saying you don't need a CCL to purchase a pistol. Is this true as I am not sure how old the source is? Am I able to walk into a gun store and purchase a pistol without a CCL, just like I would a rifle?

2) I understand that for open carry you are allowed to carry it from one hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset unloaded. Some sources are saying you need a CCL to do just that and some are not mentioning that a CCL is required. So I am wondering if I need a CCL to open carry in ND if I keep the pistol unloaded and carry it between those times?

I picked up my ar lower from my FFL and plan on building an AR pistol but wasn't sure if I needed a CCL to have possession of it when I put the short barrel on it.

I understand this would all be easier if I had my CCL already.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

1. Can purchase without ccl. Nics background check is done at time of purchase.

2. Laws are stupid in this area. You can open carry in the time frame you stated above.  IIRC, without a ccl, it must be UNLOADED.  

Open carry is not customary in my location, so leo may stop and ask questions.

Get a ccl to avoid these stupid laws.

ETA go here to read the laws. http://www.legis.nd.gov/cencode/t62-1.html
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 2:35:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply. I talked to a buddy of mine who is a sheriff's deputy out in Minot yesterday he said you can do all that and not have a problem.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Beware, Minot has muni code that says you must ask permission before entering an establishment with a gun.

This is trumped by state law, but it's still on the books. I have never seen anyone open carry in Minot.

Get your permit and you can carry anywhere that is not against state or Fed laws.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Roger that. Thanks for the heads up!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top