Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2015 7:44:58 PM EDT
Hey guys, I just got a job offer in DC.  

I have to admit that I have no interest in living in DC, but I thought if I posted this here I would get more locals than if I only posted in the Virginia subforum (which I have also, sorry if thats against the rules).  What are some things to know about living in NoVA and working in DC?
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 11:59:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Shitty commute, but you will have fun.. depending on age and family.

Regards

ETA there are endless options depending on what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 12:52:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Im 25.  I have kids but Im divorced and theyre staying with the ex and my parents.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 12:43:30 AM EDT
[#3]

What I did was move to Alexandria and rented an apartment.  Got my carry permit and enjoyed the area.  Northern VA offers quite a bit in the way of entertainment.  I'm not a party person but I do enjoy hitting the pubs by myself.  I lived right next to the Potomac, so I would carry my kayak over and enjoy the wildlife.  Also, big on fishing.  I had to get used to fresh water since I grew up spending most every day fishing for blues and stripers in NY and CT.

DC is fun too.  There's so much to do depending on what you like.  If guns are important, stay in VA.  If not DC and MD are fine too.  All are an easy metro commute, but driving is a real bitch and wears on you.  Do you know what part of town your job is located?

regards

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 3:04:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cooper1:
What I did was move to Alexandria and rented an apartment.  Got my carry permit and enjoyed the area.  Northern VA offers quite a bit in the way of entertainment.  I'm not a party person but I do enjoy hitting the pubs by myself.  I lived right next to the Potomac, so I would carry my kayak over and enjoy the wildlife.  Also, big on fishing.  I had to get used to fresh water since I grew up spending most every day fishing for blues and stripers in NY and CT.

DC is fun too.  There's so much to do depending on what you like.  If guns are important, stay in VA.  If not DC and MD are fine too.  All are an easy metro commute, but driving is a real bitch and wears on you.  Do you know what part of town your job is located?

regards

View Quote

I dont know where its at yet.  I left a message with the hiring manager enthusiastically saying how thankful I am for the opportunity and asking if we can discuss logistics for the move at his earliest convenience.  Ill update here when I know more.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Look into living near the VRE. It's a commuter train that runs into DC from Manassas and Fredricsburg. Many jobs will help subsidize the tickets.
It makes the hellish commute easier when you can ride on the train and nap or surf vs driving.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 9:49:05 AM EDT
[#6]
But if you're young you should look at Rosslyn. It's on the legal side of the river but just across from Georgetown. Very fun area for a single young dude. Georgetown is a target rich area.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By rainmaker9:

But if you're young you should look at Rosslyn. It's on the legal side of the river but just across from Georgetown. Very fun area for a single young dude. Georgetown is a target rich area.
View Quote

LOL. If you can stomach the attitude!
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Ive found an online group from my church.  Lots of room postings.  I can have my own room in a townhome (so shared bathroom but thats fine) for around $650 + utilities in places like Crystal City to Rosslyn to Williamsburg.  I can't really beat that price.  While Id like my own privacy, I dont want it enough to spend an extra $600-$800 more per month.  The whole point of this move is to save
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:20:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Not bad.  I rented a studio at River Towers in Alexandria for $700/mo.  when I first moved.  I had a stroke coming from NC at $250/mo for a nice apartment....

Rude awakening and all.  Crystal City is great because it's central to everything... Just do your due diligence and eyeball your room mate.  Let your gut make the call.  For what it's worth give River Towers a call and see if they have any vacancies  703.768.3800

http://www.rivertowerscondo.org

Link Posted: 12/19/2015 2:03:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Not bad.  I rented a studio at River Towers in Alexandria for $700/mo.  when I first moved.  I had a stroke coming from NC at $250/mo for a nice apartment....

Rude awakening and all.  Crystal City is great because it's central to everything... Just do your due diligence and eyeball your room mate.  Let your gut make the call.  For what it's worth give River Towers a call and see if they have any vacancies  703.768.3800

View Quote

How long ago did you live there and pay $700/month?
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 5:28:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I guess a while. I didn't even realize how long it's been.  I can't imagine it's increased too much.  My unit was a very small efficiency.  The further South you go, the cheaper.  The idea of sharing a place is great, provided the room mates are decent.  I would think the Balston/ Crystal City area would be great.. young professional types...

I know this isn't much help.. LOL.. I work midnights.  I'll be at work tonight(Sat.).  I'll try to get a better idea for you.

FWIW. As much as I hate DC, it would be easy to find professional workaholic types eager to share a place...

I'll post back when I have a better idea.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

I lived there for 5 years and still have my 1BR as a rental.  Shoot me a pm if your looking to move there in the April time frame, it comes available 4/1/16 :D
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top