Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2013 10:26:55 AM EDT
Just wondering if anyone knows.  

My understanding is the HQ stuck around DC for a few years after new handguns were banned by the city in the late 1970s; then they moved the HQ to Fairfax.  

Anyone ever shoot in the old D.C. NRA range?  What was it like?
Link Posted: 5/24/2013 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#1]
The NRA moved to Fairfax in the early 90's, and it was purely a cost savings move.  It had little to do with the laws in D.C, and everything to do with getting a deal on the building.

As far as the range, couldn't tell you. I thought the kept their downtown office for the more DC-centric activity, but I could be wrong.  I would be somewhat surprised if they ever had a range in it.

-shooter
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#2]
in decades past, many of the high schools in the District had boys and girls shooting teams...
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 6:43:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By hrt4me:
in decades past, many of the high schools in the District had boys and girls shooting teams...

St. Johns still has a rifle team and a 5 point range under their gym.  Sadly their program is JROTC and can only shoot air rifle on the range now.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 2:06:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Old NRA Range was a 10-position 50-ft indoor horror with bad ventilation.
Backstop was battleship plate and pea gravel.

Neatest thing about the backstop was that behind it was a tunnel that went under the street.  
Never found the end of it.  NRA HQ had sub-cellars and odd floor sections - guess the hotel that
is there now must have been really something to set up.  

There was an obsolete pneumatic mail system that ran all eight floors.

Last shots fired on the old NRA Range were in December of 1993.  It was used as a gathering point
for trash as the HQ prepared to move to Fairfax, but I fired ten shots just before Christmas as we were
packing up the museum.

rongorongo
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I got to legally shoot in DC about a month ago. Sadly the range isn't open to the public
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 11:41:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By shooter220:
The NRA moved to Fairfax in the early 90's, and it was purely a cost savings move.  It had little to do with the laws in D.C, and everything to do with getting a deal on the building.

As far as the range, couldn't tell you. I thought the kept their downtown office for the more DC-centric activity, but I could be wrong.  I would be somewhat surprised if they ever had a range in it.

-shooter
View Quote

Care to expand on this?
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 6:42:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 501st:

Care to expand on this?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 501st:
Originally Posted By shooter220:

-shooter

Care to expand on this?

My understanding is that they got the Fairfax building at a much lower $/sq.ft than anything they could get in the city (like 1/4 the price) and they needed more space. In reality very few of the NRA staff actually need to be downtown, so it makes a lot of sense to move into the 'burbs.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 2:19:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By YukonBoy03:
I got to legally shoot in DC about a month ago. Sadly the range isn't open to the public
View Quote

which range?
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 12:46:01 AM EDT
[#9]

which range?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By YukonBoy03:

which range?

I would not ask, personally.

An old friend became USPSA president.  Prior to that, he was a training officer for a fed agency.

I know they used a range IN DC.  never asked where.

Don't know - don't want to know.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:08:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top