Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2014 10:43:02 AM EDT
Can I hunt deer in DE with a semi auto shotgun?

I am in PA and will be hunting in DE for the first time.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 5:06:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  Must have plug in to limit to two shells in the tube, one in the chamber.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:31:41 AM EDT
[#2]
My son Tom got an 8 point on opening day at 9:00 AM. A very nice deer. He took it with my rifle slug barreled Remington 870. He was shooting Remington 3" sabot rounds. The slug hit the middle of the right shoulder went up and broke the back bone and the slug stopped just under the skin on top of the left shoulder. This was our first DE Hunt and we were hunting in the Redden State Forest.

Dane

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My son Tom got an 8 point on opening day at 9:00 AM. A very nice deer. He took it with my rifle slug barreled Remington 870. He was shooting Remington 3" sabot rounds. The slug hit the middle of the right shoulder went up and broke the back bone and the slug stopped just under the skin on top of the left shoulder. This was our first DE Hunt and we were hunting in the Redden State Forest.

Dane

<a href="http://s1305.photobucket.com/user/md66948/media/11-14-14_zps6197ebf5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s541/md66948/11-14-14_zps6197ebf5.jpg</a>
View Quote

Congrats!  3" sabots out of a 12 gauge have a punishing recoil...I've recently gone to a 20 gauge w/ 3 inchers.  

Heck of a drive from PA to Redden, glad it was worth your while.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Congrats!  3" sabots out of a 12 gauge have a punishing recoil...I've recently gone to a 20 gauge w/ 3 inchers.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dane

<a href="http://s1305.photobucket.com/user/md66948/media/11-14-14_zps6197ebf5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s541/md66948/11-14-14_zps6197ebf5.jpg</a>

I am thinking the same thing. I have two 20 gauge 870s in the safe. One is a youth model so it will need a new stock. My kids are all grown now so I don't need to keep it as youth gun till I have grand kids then I will convert it back. I am going to look for some slug barrels for them
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're serious about slug gun hunting and in it for the long haul, you've got to check out a Savage 220.  I was looking at $250 slug barrels for my 870s and found this gun for ~$415.  Totally worth the purchase.

Review

I picked one up last year and have it sighted in out to 150 yds.  I'm getting 3" 3-shot groups at 150 very consistently, frequently under 2.  Relatively flat shooting too: 1" high at 50 yds, 2" high at 100 yds, 2" low at 150 yds.  This is with 20 g, 3", Remington Accutips.  

Some people try to push 200 yd shots with this gun.  It really opens up at that distance: 6-8" groups, 9-12" drop from a 150 yd zero, and any wind pushes the hell our of those slugs at that distance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top