Grand Tetons
Harley Dealer In Gillettte
Anything Else?
I will be here about a week.

Thanks
Chinook3
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 2:22:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Those are decent priorities.  I will say that while old Faithful can be spectacular, the wait definitely isn't. Especially when the wind is blowing and it's cold.  Around Old Faithful they have paths that will take you around to see dozens of geysers.  Take the walk to see the smaller geysers.  If old faithful goes off, you'll see it from a distance.

Shameless plug for a local business - If you guys plow through the stuff you have planned when you're around Cody, consider stopping by the Cody Firearms experience.  You can shoot a gatling gun if you find the price agreeable.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Of course the parks aren't open to vehicle traffic yet.  And you can look at the Tetons but not much more.

By all means the museum in Cody.  A massive and comprehensive collection.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 3:52:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Not much open right now. Bears are starting to come out.

Check out jacksons local paper, lots of off season specials at the handful of restaurants staying open.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:06:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Northwest and west entrances are the only entrances to Yellowstone that are open right now.  You can get to Old Faithful, but be on the look out for very limited services.  Not sure if you've seen this or not:

Yellowstone Current Conditions

Good luck with the trip, not the best time to visit NW Wyoming (not the worst either).
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:30:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks!! Yes headed to the north entrance in the morning. Spent the day at the museum,Awesome! I certainly recommend going there. Also I lucked out as it was Earth day and it was free admission.We crossed the Big Horn Mtn. lots of snow but when we got lower elevations we stopped and had lunch in a beautiful spot. Yes its early to get into the park but we will see enough to get a taste for Yellowstone. Cody and Gillette seemed like nice places. Saw lots of pronghorn. Packing stuff for lunch along the road tomorrow as well. Lots different than Michigan. I brought some fly fishing gear and hope to try that out.

Chinook3
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:08:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Got back home last night. Thanks for the help and suggestions. It was a great trip. In Yellowstone we saw lots of bison,  although no bears. Old Faithful was great -- pretty neat to see. There was a bear seen around the geysers but not while we were there. Due the closed roads and snow we could not get to the Tetons without a lot of driving. We left the west entrance and travelled south. We drove through parts of Idaho and into Utah. Then went to Monument park and Moab. All was pretty neat.Climbed up and saw dinosaur foot prints. Then we headed towards Co. We got through the passes before the snow closed them. Almost 4800 miles in two weeks.

Thanks All!

Chinook3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top