Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2016 4:30:36 PM EDT
from south Florida I must be out of my mind.

we will be making $12,000 more a year over south florida. so my family returns to the frozen north.

If any one familiar with Cody it would be helpful if I knew

any where to shoot especially prairie DOGS IN summer
2.  the VA is in Sheridan does Cody have a clinic or any veteran services at all?
3. anything I should know?

thanks guys see you in December

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#1]
1) I'm the wrong guy to answer about prairie dog hunting.  I know they're around here since I see the little bastards at the Powell range (Heart Mountain Rod & Gun Club) all the time.

2) I'm the wrong guy to answer about veteran stuff as well.  Sorry I can't help there.

3) Anything you should know?  I live and work in Cody.  Traffic as you know it does not exist up here.  I hope you can make your own cafe con leche because you can't buy any out here.  If you have any rear wheel drive vehicles, be prepared to replace them or relegate them to summer use only.  The sidewalks are basically rolled up at 9 or 10 pm.  At that hour, you won't get much done unless it involves a bar or Walmart.  I've been to a few ranges in South Florida including Nexus shooting in Davie and Markham Park in Sunrise.  We have WAY more freedom up here when it comes to shooting sports.  If you don't have a dedicated freezer, get one.  You'll want to buy your beef "by the cow".  It's kind of like going to Publix and picking a lobster out of the lobster tank.  Instead of a store and a fish tank, you're by a fence around a pasture placing an order for 250+ pounds of beef.  You don't get it right away - you have to wait until they go to slaughter.

On a more serious note, get your license plates changed over as soon as possible.  Don't speed in towns.  In just under 5 years of living here, I've had more encounters with law enforcement than I should have (I drive too fast).  However, all of those encounters were brief and almost even pleasant not including getting handed a speeding ticket. I consider that a reflection of the people out here to include the awesome dudes that frequent this forum.  As long as you're willing to accept Wyoming as the beautiful bastion of freedom that it is and you're not interested in changing it, you'll fit in just fine.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1) I'm the wrong guy to answer about prairie dog hunting.  I know they're around here since I see the little bastards at the Powell range (Heart Mountain Rod & Gun Club) all the time.

2) I'm the wrong guy to answer about veteran stuff as well.  Sorry I can't help there.

3) Anything you should know?  I live and work in Cody.  Traffic as you know it does not exist up here.  I hope you can make your own cafe con leche because you can't buy any out here.  If you have any rear wheel drive vehicles, be prepared to replace them or relegate them to summer use only.  The sidewalks are basically rolled up at 9 or 10 pm.  At that hour, you won't get much done unless it involves a bar or Walmart.  I've been to a few ranges in South Florida including Nexus shooting in Davie and Markham Park in Sunrise.  We have WAY more freedom up here when it comes to shooting sports.  If you don't have a dedicated freezer, get one.  You'll want to buy your beef "by the cow".  It's kind of like going to Publix and picking a lobster out of the lobster tank.  Instead of a store and a fish tank, you're by a fence around a pasture placing an order for 250+ pounds of beef.  You don't get it right away - you have to wait until they go to slaughter.

On a more serious note, get your license plates changed over as soon as possible.  Don't speed in towns.  In just under 5 years of living here, I've had more encounters with law enforcement than I should have (I drive too fast).  However, all of those encounters were brief and almost even pleasant not including getting handed a speeding ticket. I consider that a reflection of the people out here to include the awesome dudes that frequent this forum.  As long as you're willing to accept Wyoming as the beautiful bastion of freedom that it is and you're not interested in changing it, you'll fit in just fine.
View Quote

thanks My wife is from SD I have spent 12-14 years there myself we know what we're getting into we miss the west & its people.  

I'll IM you when we get in town.
thank you
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#3]
You did say your family was RETURNING to the frozen north!  I missed that.  You'll be good then!
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't answer any of your questions, unfortunately, but welcome! Cody's an awesome place to live if you can deal with the wind and running into people you know just about every time you leave the house. Shooting's great on all the BLM land around at pretty much any distance you want to try.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I have learned Cody has a 1200 meter range and a steel challenge pistol competition.
one of the gunshop employees told me the prairie dogs were poisoned out 25 years ago.

It appears Heart of mountain club may have 3 gun every month. So I am excited.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#6]
We shoot antelope in the fall. Nearest prairie dogs (that I know of) are just over the Mt border.
Nearest VA Clinic is in Billings.

I love Cody and like bumping into people that I know around town.

We still need to do a Powell/Cody meet and greet some time soon.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 6:38:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well I have learned Cody has a 1200 meter range and a steel challenge pistol competition.
one of the gunshop employees told me the prairie dogs were poisoned out 25 years ago.

View Quote

The guy that organizes the 3-gun events in Powell is a colleague of my wife. He's a cool dude that tries to put on monthly 3 guns. By the time you're here, there won't be much going on until the spring.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 8:56:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The guy that organizes the 3-gun events in Powell is a colleague of my wife. He's a cool dude that tries to put on monthly 3 guns. By the time you're here, there won't be much going on until the spring.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well that kind of sucks I guess I'll put my shotgun back in the safe.  I hope this works out well enough that employment continues after the summer.  and perhaps a yearly thing for several years.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 6:46:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I 'll arrive on SATURDAY December 3rd If anyone  is open that evening   lets get together have a beer.  

thanks for the reply's
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Ironically, I will have just returned from my vacation in south Florida and going to Red Lodge for a Christmas party.  I'll catch you another time.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 11:52:13 PM EDT
[#11]

I live in Powell but GF works at the Irma (Buffalo Bills daughter) and she has met virtually everyone.

Cody is cool if you like urban to go with your empty west.  

Prairie dogs not so much in the Big Horn Basin.

But you can shoot on the BLM as far as you can see.

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 10:59:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I live in Powell but GF works at the Irma (Buffalo Bills daughter) and she has met virtually everyone.

Cody is cool if you like urban to go with your empty west.  

Prairie dogs not so much in the Big Horn Basin.

But you can shoot on the BLM as far as you can see.

View Quote

sounds like I'll need to step up from 556.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 9:12:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Powell hospital has a VA clinic attached to it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Powell hospital has a VA clinic attached to it.
View Quote

thanks I'll make an appointment.  
Just 6 more days then I'm up there I 'm excited
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
from south Florida I must be out of my mind.

we will be making $12,000 more a year over south florida. so my family returns to the frozen north.

If any one familiar with Cody it would be helpful if I knew

any where to shoot especially prairie DOGS IN summer
2.  the VA is in Sheridan does Cody have a clinic or any veteran services at all?
3. anything I should know?

thanks guys see you in December
View Quote

Let see S. Florida to Cody in December?????????????????????????????????

Who in the hell did you piss off!

You will need the extra dollars just to stay warm!

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Once again I arrive Saturday if anyone wants to join me for a meal or beer Sunday shoot me an IM
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 12:36:50 AM EDT
[#17]
OK I am in town tonight
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, at least you had a day or so to adjust before winter decided to come in all at once... 3-foot drifts in my driveway up on the North Fork!
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:25:54 PM EDT
[#19]
We were abel to get about 40 miles up the Yellow Stone Canyon on Sunday I saw some beautiful bighorn sheep, I'd share pics but I doubt you guys will be as impressed as I was

I am eager to meet the local arfcommers so if anyone gets into Cody & wants to grab a beer or a meal IM me.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We were abel to get about 40 miles up the Yellow Stone Canyon on Sunday I saw some beautiful bighorn sheep, I'd share pics but I doubt you guys will be as impressed as I was
View Quote

North Fork.  

And yes, the sheep are always cool to see.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Attachment Attached File

There you go I thought he was really big 3/4 curl
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:17:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I am eager to meet the local arfcommers so if anyone gets into Cody & wants to grab a beer or a meal IM me.
View Quote

Those sheep are hired by the state and do shift work!

Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/59914/DSC06262-101133.JPG

View Quote

Pretty decent ram... I'm surprised there are any around in that valley, as they came down out of the hills early this year (before the end of sheep season) and a whole bunch of 'em got blasted right from the highway.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Alright went down to Cody shooting Experience and rented a lane today

that is a very impressive indoor range It was agood time to shoot the double tap go/no go program.

I am thinking of getting a membership there , does anyone else shoot there
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 10:15:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/59914/DSC06262-101133.JPG

View Quote

Nice!  

I'll probably be in your AO in June or so
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:50:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Alright went down to Cody shooting Experience and rented a lane today

that is a very impressive indoor range It was agood time to shoot the double tap go/no go program.

I am thinking of getting a membership there , does anyone else shoot there
View Quote

I haven't shot there yet. Like most folks around here, I hesitate when it comes to spending money to go shoot some place! A buddy and I were considering checking it out when it was -6 out last week.   I'll probably make it over there at least once to check it out this winter.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 8:34:17 PM EDT
[#27]

when you first walk in it looks like any other indoor range you must bring in cased or holstered fire arms of coarse.

but the lanes are programmable & the targets spin 180 degrees the program I shot was a 2 lane shoot no shoot senario the targets would present either the target "shoot side or the blank no shoot side. the gunner was"  suppose to fire one at each shoot target presented it occured over 30 times in the program so you needed one mag to shoot the program.

Or you could do one lane which the target would present the shoot side 15 times twice. It was fun.I will have to try it with my pistol next time.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Got a 6month member ship @Cody shooting Experience

so I will start going there as much as I can until it gets warm enough for me to enjoy being outside -16 isn't really fun unless your hunting.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

when you first walk in it looks like any other indoor range you must bring in cased or holstered fire arms of coarse.

but the lanes are programmable & the targets spin 180 degrees the program I shot was a 2 lane shoot no shoot senario the targets would present either the target "shoot side or the blank no shoot side. the gunner was"  suppose to fire one at each shoot target presented it occured over 30 times in the program so you needed one mag to shoot the program.

Or you could do one lane which the target would present the shoot side 15 times twice. It was fun.I will have to try it with my pistol next time.
View Quote

That sounds awesome!
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 2:02:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That sounds awesome!
View Quote

I enjoyed the hell out of it I'll be going back this weekend
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Just got back from Cody shooting Experience

the double tap program is much easier with pistol than rifle

they allow suppressors.  and are trying to get a "TACTICAL NIGHT" going on Tuesdays

I will be  there next Tue  to get my night  IR Lase zeroed at 25 meters.

if any one wants to join me Tuesday night they said they will  shut off the lights for me and let me shoot NODs on.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:45:47 PM EDT
[#32]
I'll be heading over their in the next hour.I feel like I am getting spoiled having a range so close
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:44:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'll be heading over their in the next hour.I feel like I am getting spoiled having a range so close
View Quote

Dude,  the whole state of WY is your range.

Link Posted: 12/24/2016 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Dude,  the whole state of WY is your range.
View Quote

not yet I got 2 wheel drive gonna have to wait till march
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#35]
I finally made it over to the range to test a new pistol the wife bought me for our anniversary.  I was pleasantly surprised.  That place is way bigger on the inside than the outside would suggest.  $15 lane rental fee.  I asked about time limits.  The staff there said if they're not busy, you can shoot for as long as your ammo lets you!  The programmable targets were pretty neat.  They even said they'd turn out the lights so I could test my weapon light as long as everyone in the lanes was alright with it or if I'm there by myself.  I'll be going back for my birthday tomorrow to run the pistol some more.  If it keeps eating ammo like it already has, it will be my new home defense pistol.  I got a CZ P-09 that loves to be shot and so it shall be.

I'm not sold on a membership because I don't see myself going often enough to justify the cost.  I do see myself going there in the warmer months when I don't feel like carrying a bunch of metal targets to setup on BLM land.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I finally made it over to the range to test a new pistol the wife bought me for our anniversary.  I was pleasantly surprised.  That place is way bigger on the inside than the outside would suggest.  $15 lane rental fee.  I asked about time limits.  The staff there said if they're not busy, you can shoot for as long as your ammo lets you!  The programmable targets were pretty neat.  They even said they'd turn out the lights so I could test my weapon light as long as everyone in the lanes was alright with it or if I'm there by myself.  I'll be going back for my birthday tomorrow to run the pistol some more.  If it keeps eating ammo like it already has, it will be my new home defense pistol.  I got a CZ P-09 that loves to be shot and so it shall be.

I'm not sold on a membership because I don't see myself going often enough to justify the cost.  I do see myself going there in the warmer months when I don't feel like carrying a bunch of metal targets to setup on BLM land.
View Quote

I will be there wed & Thursday  anyone can shoot me an IM if they want to meet up.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#37]
You can get frozen drinks at the liquor store to. Got to check out  Buffalo Bill's center of the west. You will not believe the guns there.There is no way you can do it in a day. Check out the Irma Hotel. You can get into a card game in the saloon. It is one cool town and I don't mean weather cool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top