Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2016 11:52:11 AM EDT
I have been researching coming out west  to antelope for a few years now. I really wanted to come out this year, but some medical bills got in the way of it. I was starting to settle my sights on next year and a buddy of mine put the bug in my ear to go out this year and scout.

Well, that has turned into let's go out and try to shoot a doe and scout potential public areas because the tags are so cheap. Since we weren't really on our game most of the tags are gone for the easy access areas but we are thinking of coming out anyway. Looks like lots of tags left for unit 23.

I've heard that many landowners view them as a nuisance and may let us hunt their property just to get rid of them. There are a couple of public land access points for this unit, but it looks like more of the public land is landlocked by private.

If anyone has any input about this area or another area that may have remaining tags it would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Land owners have gotten wise over the last couple decades.  Most will want a trespass fee.  Expect $200 to $500 per hunter.  At least that's what several ranches near my cabin charge.

You might get lucky, but most know they can charge hunters and get a way with it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:19:30 AM EDT
[#2]
If I'm able to get off work to run out that way for a weekend, I'd imagine it will be more of a scouting trip for units with more public land access for next year. I lived in Texas for most of my life and really value public land access. After I hunted Colorado one year for elk, hunting in Texas wasn't the same. I don't disagree with the ranchers supplementing their income, just not something I really want to do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top