Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2016 12:53:56 AM EDT
Just another one of these type of threads buuut I might have an employment opportunity in Jackson.  I know that housing is over the top expensive and limited but just wanted to shore up my research with some local advise.  My contact said to look into  Victor, Alpine and Moran as well.  Looks to be a lengthy or technical(Teton Pass) commute any way you look at it.  Would be just myself no kids or dags one of the concerns is what to do with the safe?  What say the hive.

Thanks

Sir James...
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Not much Hive in the WYHTF but I'll give it a go.

Unless your job is with the fed.gov don't look to live in Moran.  Fed housing for the parks, billionaire homes, dude ranches, and cattle ranches up that way.  

Victor is over Teton Pass (WY Hwy 22).  It is about 25 miles from Victor to Jackson.  The commute is shorter than the canyon to Alpine but closes a little more frequently due to crashes, snow depth and avalanches.  The pass is steep in places and it helps if you know how to drive in steeps or you will wear out your brakes.  Victor has really grown to be a nice community filled with Jackson commuters.  Prices are still more reasonable on that side of the Tetons. You do have to pay Idaho State income tax if you live there.  Fishing is better in Idaho but Wyoming has much better hunting. Registering a vehicle is also a lot cheaper in Idaho than Wyoming.

Alpine is down US 89/191/20/26.  It is 35 miles from Jackson to Alpine.  The highway parallels the Snake River.  The commute closes slightly less than the pass but seems to close for longer stretches due to land slides (up to a month in 1997).  Winter traffic is better than summer traffic as it is mostly commuters.  Summer brings RVs, river rafters, commercial raft buses and shuttle vehicles, and the canyon is one of the main routes from Utah to Jackson which brings a lot of traffic.  Alpine is....umm...interesting when it comes to the population.  Its a mix of Jackson commuters and Star Valley locals.  Wyoming has no state income tax.

Both Alpine and Victor are serviced by START bus routes that operate during commuter hours and are very popular (buses filled every day).  It is a pay for play service but cheaper than wearing the tires off of your car once every two years and very handy when gas was $4/gal.

The latest buzz on bedroom communities is that START may have a bus route that services Pinedale, Wyoming (90 miles to the southeast of Jackson down US189).  Pinedale real estate has taken a big negative hit with the down turn in the energy industry and prices are almost reasonable again with a lot of inventory on the market.

Can't help you with the safe.  The Jackson Hole Gun Club is about 8 miles south Jackson on the road to Alpine.  Great gun club and nice facility.  Rifle to 600, archery, trap, pistol bay, classrooms, etc.

I've been around these parts for 25 years now.  I live in Star Valley now and work in Jackson, not sure I would ever live in Jackson again.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#2]
In the winter it will may be possible to find an open spot.

A lot of the hotels usually rent out rooms for the season at $1,000/mo

Actual apartments are around $1800/2000 a month for one bedroom.

ETA Living and traveling the pass from victor is just as expensive in the end. You need a GOOD vehicle with good tires. Time/maintainence on car plus having to pay Idaho taxes make it the same cost as living in town.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top