Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2016 1:03:30 PM EDT
Good Afternoon Guys!

I'll be coming out to visit the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone at the end of August for my 30th birthday with my girlfriend. The plan is to do a few days of backpacking and then stay in a lodge at Yellowstone.

My girlfriend has never backpacked before (that will change by this trip, hopefully at least two or three times) and its been a number of years since I did it on a somewhat regular basis (back in Scouts). I know the basics and we've started to go on hikes together so she can learn how trail blazes work, etc.

(By the time we head out she'll have a working knowledge of a map and compass as well).

However, I need some help planning a good backpacking route that won't be too extreme (especially given the altitude change from where we live) but will provide a nice scenic and fun trip.

Any help you guys can offer as to trails to follow and back country permits to obtain would be great. We currently have about 8 days planned for this trip and I expect 2 will be tied up by travel.

I've been scouting out Alltrails.com to see whats there but I'm unsure.

If you have suggestions I'd like to request they be broken out by park so I can plan accordingly. I'd even be ok with all the backpacking in the Grand Tetons and then heading to Yellowstone for the lodging and walking around to the attractions (although I know it'll be a zoo).

Thanks so much in advance!
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 5:35:44 PM EDT
[#1]
https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/backcountryhiking.htm

https://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/back.htm

Best place to start looking, you can figure out the requirements you need to meet to plan your trip.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/backcountryhiking.htm

https://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/back.htm

Best place to start looking, you can figure out the requirements you need to meet to plan your trip.

View Quote

Thanks, I've been browsing those the past few days. I called the park today to discuss the permit situation to make sure I understood correctly. Everywhere is sold out that I want to go, which isn't a big deal I just have to get it there.

Anyone with experience in that area, is there stuff usually for that day or am I going to lose a day while trying to get it for the following day?
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I live very close to Glacier and have hiked both Yellowstone and Grand Teton, normally they have walk up permits everyday, if you are willing to take your chances, there is a good chance you will get what you want if you are at the backcountry office when they open.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#4]

You might consider the north end of the Tetons on the WEST side. You can park at Squirrel Meadows- out of Ashton, paved, then good dirt road. Take the trail to Jackass Pass. Old Indian trail. There are lumps of native obsidian along the way. You can stop partway and camp, there's a spring to the south of the trail opposite Hominy Peak. Hike up Hominy Peak for the views. Jackass Pass is the Teton Park boundary. Stay west of the boundary and hike about a half mile south for good camping. Some little lakes. From there you can day hike north to Survey Peak, or hike into Berry Creek, or Owl Creek in the Park. You can hike south along the Teton Crest Trail as well.

Best thing about this trip is you don't need any permits as long as you don't camp inside the Park boundary. Also, you will see no one. Watch out for bears.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Another trip on the west side of the Tetons would be into Alaska Basin at the head of Teton Creek. Trip starts at the Teton Creek trailhead, off the road to Grand Targhee. You reach Alaska Basin after about 7 miles and 2000' elevation gain, which can be broken up into two days. You can camp up at Basin Lake, or anywhere in that area. Views are spectacular. You can day hike north or south on the Teton Crest Trail, or cross over Hurricane Pass into the Park and the Schoolroom Glacier. You can climb the South Teton from there- it's really just a scramble. In August you'll see plenty of people.
Again, you won't need to deal with Park backcountry permits since you won't be camping in the Park.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Another trip on the west side of the Tetons would be into Alaska Basin at the head of Teton Creek. Trip starts at the Teton Creek trailhead, off the road to Grand Targhee. You reach Alaska Basin after about 7 miles and 2000' elevation gain, which can be broken up into two days. You can camp up at Basin Lake, or anywhere in that area. Views are spectacular. You can day hike north or south on the Teton Crest Trail, or cross over Hurricane Pass into the Park and the Schoolroom Glacier. You can climb the South Teton from there- it's really just a scramble. In August you'll see plenty of people.Again, you won't need to deal with Park backcountry permits since you won't be camping in the Park.  
View Quote

Thanks for the input. I think I want to try to do the Teton Crest trail but I'll be devising one or two backup plans just in case I'm unable to do so.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks for the input. I think I want to try to do the Teton Crest trail but I'll be devising one or two backup plans just in case I'm unable to do so.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Another trip on the west side of the Tetons would be into Alaska Basin at the head of Teton Creek. Trip starts at the Teton Creek trailhead, off the road to Grand Targhee. You reach Alaska Basin after about 7 miles and 2000' elevation gain, which can be broken up into two days. You can camp up at Basin Lake, or anywhere in that area. Views are spectacular. You can day hike north or south on the Teton Crest Trail, or cross over Hurricane Pass into the Park and the Schoolroom Glacier. You can climb the South Teton from there- it's really just a scramble. In August you'll see plenty of people.Again, you won't need to deal with Park backcountry permits since you won't be camping in the Park.  

A good way to see much of the Crest Trail is to start at Philips Canyon on the south end. Get someone to drop you off there. You start pretty high up on Teton Pass. Over Philips Pass and on north, go out Paintbrush Canyon or Cascade Canyon (Cascade is shorter). You can leave a vehicle at Jenny Lake, or Lupine Meadows. This is probably the most spectacular hike in the Tetons, you see the Grand from three sides. I've done it in the winter, and as a day trip when my wife was running ultras.

Link Posted: 6/5/2016 6:05:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Fly into Idaho Falls, rent car ( was the cheapest car rental )  go to sheriff office and get non resident carry permit. Bring all the required documents with you. they will mail it to you when ready.
Go to Ross coin and gun, check out the falls and city.
Go to Sportsmans warehouse in Ammon
Texas Roadhouse in Ammon
Go to St Anthony sand dunes, rent quads for a few hours.
Take Rt 33 west to East Butte Road, Outstanding rifle range ,Unified sportsmans, I think $5.00 a day to shoot, pistol out to 1000 yards. On RT 33, just past Henrys fork river. Google earth, that monster area is the gun club.
Go to the Teton Damn, still there.
Drive to jackson Hole, do the whole city thing.
Jackson Hole gun club.
Teton Village, check it out.
Drive to Dornans in Moose, rent bicycles and ride the excellent trail along Teton Park Road to visitor center. Ride back to Dornans, you can rent fishing gear and hit the river.
Country Cookout at Dornans, amazing food.
Go fishing at the Damn, Snake river and Teton Park Road.
Hike
Start at Jenny Lake, hike into Lake Solitude, go to south fork,inspiration point.............study the trails..........pick your route.
Drive up to Signal mountain, bring binos. outstanding views.
Steak dinner at Colter Bay village.
Breakfast in Colter Bay village, nice area to check out.
Travel to Yellowstone, ...............Be careful you do not get rear ended.
Hike up to the Petrified Forest
Buffalo Bill museum in Cody, Glock center just opened at the Museum.
Teton Area is less crowded then Yellowstone.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I just noticed......" Girlfriend "...........Get engaged at Lake Solitude ??
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just noticed......" Girlfriend "...........Get engaged at Lake Solitude ??
View Quote

Not this go round. Maybe next time....We've been together 6 years. She's really starting to give me hell.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey guys, trip is pretty solidified, tickets purchased, etc.

Anyone know of a service that would shuttle us from Jenny Lake down to the Tram? Planning on parking the car at the end rather than the beginning.

Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top