Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2017 5:37:09 PM EDT
So my family farm(which I obviously don't work at any more, I'm in Alaska) is short of drivers for harvest, work is 90% easy driving in circles in a 10 wheel truck (provided by farm, diesel provided by farm) at 3-10 MPH, or sitting idling waiting to drive next to the harvest tractor picking up potatoes, grain, or beets. Hardest part is the long days, think 6 , 15 hour days no lunch break but since you are idling for 10-30 minutes at edge of field waiting in line you are really not going to have any issues. After you fill up is the hardest part of the day, you have to drive 2-10 miles down gravel roads that are bone straight to a silo,cellar,beet dump, pull onto a scale stop,drive to the dump, dump the produce(which is 5-10 minutes of sitting still and pushing a button every minutes),, drive back onto scale and get a weight ticket, then drive back to field, following the line of other farm trucks and sit idling waiting for your turn. on a perfect day(not getting stuck in mud, tractor doesn't break down, ect ect) you might get 18 trips to the beet dump. If you want a couple bushels of grain or potatoes for prepper purposes that could easily be arranged.

Down sides are no chance to go anywhere so you have to budget food for the whole day, and no chance that the truck you will get assigned will have a working radio(boom box with bungee cord and cigarette lighter adapter was my "tunes"), meeting hot women you have zero chance and if by some miracle you do you can't see them because you are at work 15-16 hours a day.

Required skills are : ability to sorta stick shift (you will be getting LOTS of practice going from neutral to 1st, and 1st to second if you get out of 2nd or 3rd you might be doing it wrong, so if you are not good to begin with you will be by the end), ability to be sober the whole day(ZERO tolerance policy, you show up with booze on breath or blood shot eyes they have ordered piss tests, however your Saturday-Sunday night is your business). Ability to get yourself to the farm(reliable personal transportation, they will cover from the farm to wherever), documentation of legal status, and not swear during the job interview. Interview consists of dropping off a basic resume and speaking with office manager Pamilla Miller , doing a lap around a large building with a 10 wheel truck, and possible demonstration of other skills. ALL the foremen on the farm have been selected from prior truck drivers/seasonal laborers , IE you impress you stand a chance of advancement/raises.

Contact main office at 208-531-5149, or simply show up M-F, 9-4 at 4 D Farms, 600N 707 E Rupert Idaho. Questions you can PM me but I can't guarantee I can answer them all.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 3:23:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:47:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Do they offer health care?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I started working harvest when I was 10 pulling vines, and I was driving a 10 wheeler (and it is exactly as the op described, except this was in Newdale and it was far from straight and definitely not flat!) as soon as I turned 14.5 and got my license. School used to let out for 2 weeks during harvest. I went home black from head to toe every night from the dust that clings to your sweat. Good times!
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought my wife's engagement ring with my harvest truck driving funds.  Long hours, hot and dusty, but well worth it.  Bring a big Coleman thermos full of water.
The operation I worked for was a bit smaller.  I got to to ride in the combine (with AC) between loads.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do they offer health care?
View Quote
Yes a comprehensive plan, There is a first aid kit that has some old bandaids at the farm, and there is some dirt on the ground to rub into wounds until you can get back to the farm...

Actually had brakes go out and rolled my truck once (ok flopped onto side) and they took care of me(but I only needed a band aid).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top