Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2017 5:56:34 PM EDT
I have been researching a bit into family medical, dental, vision plans in Idaho (Most likely Boise Metro). We live in Portland, but it's getting worse and just would like to be around more like minded people. I am able to find very little in the way of medical coverage and costs. I just have a few questions, if someone could give their input I would appreciate it. State / school district employees what kind of coverage do you have and how much do you have to pay per month? My wife works for the school district here and everything is covered for the family (Medical/dental/vision) with very low $10 co-pay. Is there something like this available in Idaho? What are the choices for an average family? We were just researching wages a bit and realized they were about $35% lower, but if you have to pay medical expenses also, how does the average family get by?

We would like a bit slower pace, drier weather and conservative views. I guess we are just tired of being the minority here and it's only getting worse. We have 3 children so excellent schools are a priority.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 12:58:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have any info for you, but I wanted to say a bit about Portland.  When the liberal powers that be in that town forced Chief of Police Mark Kroeker out, they pulled the handle on the final flush for that city.  He is a very good man, and has a great family.  He was one of my teachers while in my teenage years.  He helped teach me to hunt, gave me good advice about life and being a man, and reprimanded me (along with his son), when we did stupid stuff.   He never used his position (while I was around, he was Deputy Chief of Police in Los Angeles) to get us out of trouble, including his son.

Good guy, crappy city.  Good luck on your potential move!

Eric 
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 8:01:11 PM EDT
[#2]
It all depends on what district and what plan you choose.  Most of the information is available on their websites. We have low monthly but very high deductibles. Some things are just easier to pay cash vs deal with insurance as the price is much less. Boise proper is almost as bad as Portland but outlying areas are better. Pm if you want any specifics as both missus and I are .edu
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input. What you are saying confirms what I am finding. Lower premiums but high deductibles. Combined with the lower wages it seems a serious injury or health could really set you back or bury you financially. We are just trying to find out how the heck it's done over there. 
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Cash or catastrophic policy if you think you need it.  BCBS does offer pretty decent policies, albeit higher deductibles. Yeah sure, I could work in other parts of the country and make 2x but the cost of living and assholes wouldn't be worth it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:07:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Zero Care pretty much fucked health care affordability everywhere.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top