Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2016 11:36:54 AM EDT
My wife and I are wanting to relocate to ID. I have a couple interviews in the NW Boise area and we are looking at housing in the Caldwell / Meridian area.

I have some questions and would like some insight and info from people in the area if possible.

1. What is up with HOA's in the greater Boise area? It seems like every home I look at, even ones in older neighborhoods have a HOA fee anywhere from $9 - 100 a month. Many of them dont have overbearing CC&R rules but damn. I guess it is no different than cities enforcing code but I guess I think of HOA's as a bunch of snooty people making up overreaching rules, and yes I know they are legally enforceable.

2. Almost every home comes with a sprinkler system. I understand those are needed in order to have a green lawn. What I have been unable to find out is where does the water come from - an irrigation system or city water? I am wondering what the water rates are then? If I buy a house where there is a HOA and they require the lawn to be watered then is it going to cost me $300 a month in water fees?

3. Any additional thoughts and helpful info on someone moving to the area would be appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Pm me for specifics. Lots has been covered here over the years.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 6:56:11 PM EDT
[#2]
You're moving to a desert, things don't grow unless you water them.  Sprinklers are easier than dragging hoses.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#3]
HOA's can be a PITA...if it's a major deal-breaker for you, find a place outside of a neighborhood.  Plenty of neighborhoods w/o HOA's, and you can always go rural. ;)

I and wife (sorry, no pics) have  been here 15+ years...adding a sprinkler system was some of the  best $$$ I've spent on the place.  Realtor can tell you where the house gets the water.  If you're buying a place with a well, sale should be contingent on potable water as well as a septic system in good shape.  If your irrigation water doesn't come from your well or city water, you'll get it from your local irrigation district.  I'm using water from the Boise Irrigation Project, so we pay about 10% of the yearly bill in December each year, and the remainder before we can start irrigating in the spring, usually the first or 2nd Monday in April.  Without irrigation, you're looking at average rainfall of ~ 12 inches per year...great for sagebrush but not lawns.

You can shoot me a pm or email from here if you have any more questions.

Welcome to Idaho.

Steve

Link Posted: 12/12/2016 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok thanks for the replies and info.

I have talked to a couple realtors about HOA's and irrigation. From what I understand in many of the neighborhoods the HOA fee covers the irrigation well water.  I also guess most of the newer homes in established areas do not have overbearing HOA rules. Like anything you just have to read, ask, check and double check before signing.

I am looking at homes and places to live at the area South of Caldwell and West of Nampa since the job would be up in Frutiland. I would be in the market for 200K or under for a house. While that is nothing to sneeze at and there are some nice homes in that price, it isn't exactly higher end either. Hopefully with the housing bubble correction a few years ago and new restrictions on purchasing not just anyone will be able to purchase a house. That sounds snobby on my part but I am sure you all know what I mean.

A few reviews of the entire area say that everyone is really nice and the state is mostly Conservative ? Hey they offer NRA license plates and have Constitutional Carry so there must be something to that?

Some have said that Boise is a Mormon town? I have no problems with them as they are nice people, but I wonder if they are pushy and try to convert you or if they are snobby and discriminate and look down on non-Mormons? I had a friend who lived in Utah and  while this was many years ago, he said if you weren't Mormon you didn't get good jobs and were made to feel like an outcast?

Link Posted: 12/12/2016 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I just did the same search you did, and ended up choosing a new home in a subdivision in Middleton.  If you don't mind a short drive to all the major stores, it is a much nicer area and very close to the 84 freeway (the speed limit is 80mph in that stretch of the freeway, up to Fruitland).  Your money for a house will go a bit further, so you can choose a better area, or builder.

If you absolutely have to be in Nampa, the areas East of, but near Lake Lowell are nice, as are some of the areas below LL.  I almost bought in Nampa, but I ran into many areas that were nice, but too far from the freeway for me.  There are also pockets of not-so-nice areas that are close to many of the subdivisions. 

One example of closeness to major stores.  From Middleton to the Costco in Nampa is 7.8 miles (15 minutes per Google Maps).  It is almost the same distance from some of the nicer areas of Nampa.

Message me your phone #, and we can discuss what I discovered in my search, estimates on utilities and what builders to avoid on older homes.  Lastly, if needed, I can refer you to a great, Pro-2A, real estate agent.

Eric 
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#6]
We are keeping an eye on properties in Middleton, but the property taxes seemed higher there and the homes seemed a lot higher on average. That doesn't mean that there are some good ones in the price range I am looking at. We are just going to have to visit there and look around as it is so damn hard to get a feel for the neighborhoods and area from just google maps. We will probably end up renting for 6 months or so in order to be able to look. The real estate market right now is also a seller's market and homes go fast. I am going to get pre-approved for my mortgage so if we do find a place we can make an offer on it.

We looked at those smaller communities for the commute and benefits of not being in the smack of things. Right now we live in a town of 13K people and it is an hour to Des Moines for shopping and any big stores like Home Depot etc. I am hearing form a lot of people that basically you do not want to be anywhere too close to the interstate?

We are primarily looking at subdivisions near the lake south of 55 / Karcher rd. I will continue to search in Middleton too.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#7]
On another topic...

Has Idaho codified their Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground laws? In reading quite a few sites these were pretty vague and needed some tightening.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On another topic...

Has Idaho codified their Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground laws? In reading quite a few sites these were pretty vague and needed some tightening.
View Quote

Not yet.

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 12:14:32 AM EDT
[#9]
If commuting I would look closer unless your spouse needs to be closer to "town". All amenities within 20 or so minutes and a decent airport within 40. Religion really doesn't matter too much. You have the LDS, Nazarene, and everyone else. Most all get along..  there has been another uptick in gangbangers thanks to the housing bubble and federal relocation of individuals but local PD and CCSD are well aware and being proactive.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 11:42:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Water varies by location, as you are finding. Our HOA owns the water system, 3 wells, and storage tank, and our dues include water, 1.1 million gallons per yr.

Also check crime stats. Caldwell has a large hispanic population and a little bit of that brings in some gang activity. So buyer beware.

I'm another fan of the Middleton area, easy access to the big stores and away from the traffic and idiocy of Boise proper.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:30:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I am looking really hard in Middleton. If I end up out there I think that is where I would like to be. I am seeing some nice homes for a decent price up in Emmet?  Google maps says it isn't too far from everywhere but how is the drive?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 11:22:08 PM EDT
[#12]
What size house are you looking for (square feet, BR/BA, etc).  I can probably give you a line on some homes being built in the Middleton area.

Also, you need a good real estate agent who can set-up automatic searches for you, as well as advise you on different subdivisions' pros and cons.  I know right now there are subdivisions that are offering no, or very low, lot premiums, which will help bring down your total cost.  Lastly, new spec homes are a good option to look at as well.  Give us more info to work with, and many of us can give you hard #s.

IMO, Emmett is very nice, but a bit far out for most things.  I would rather drive 30 miles on a freeway at 80mph, then the highway from Emmett.

Let us know.

Eric 
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I like Emmett as well, but I don't work. I also don't know much about the drive to Fruitland from Emmett. You probably have to go thru New Plymouth, not a big deal but not a straight shot either.

Emmett has a nice downtown as far as small towns go. Cherries, mmmmm, cherries, they have a cherry festival every summer, brings people from far and wide.

The internet is a great tool for house shopping. The one thing that surprised me when we made the move is how spread out everything is. Way too many four way stops for my liking but they put em up for a reason, first world problems.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Idaho is great, been here 3 months in middleton. It's nice to be able to set up some bullet traps and shoot anytime you want in the back yard.

Now we have Cocaine falling from the sky this week. And it's great to watch this white shit fall from the sky.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top