Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2017 3:02:42 PM EDT
I am going to be taking a motorcycle trip this summer that will go through British Columbia and Alberta and I want a cell phone to use while I am there.

I am currently a subscription verizon customer here in the states so the phone I have is a CDMA type (wont work with Canadian GSM networks). My plan is to buy sim+data+minutes when I get there and bring a cheap GSM smartphone with me.

Since I am a subscription customer I know fuckall about prepaid plans and which carrier is best for prepaid; Rogers, Telus, Fido, 7-eleven speakout?

And, I have also seen prepaid plans advertised as "Canada wide" and "Province wide." If I were to buy a sim in B.C. with the province wide plan would it roam in Alberta and suck up all my minutes and/or data?

Any guidance is really appreciated!
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Striker,

I previously checked with Verizon and they offer Canada and Mexico roaming for $2.00 a day. However, my phone is not compatible because it not a "World Device."

But now this whole thing is a moot point because the phone I currently have has hardware issues with the camera, I am going to have to replace it anyway
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Verizon also has a 1-month Canada/Mexico plan with 1 gig of data for $25 I think. That's what I use when I go to Canada. My phone isn't that old but for some reason the $2/day deal isn't available.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top