Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2016 5:49:17 AM EDT
My wife is going to take a series of trips to the Markham area for her company .
 She has been there before and ate in the hotel because the only places to eat nearby are a Chinese Buffet and a unpleasant looking Greek place.

"Ask the guys where to eat near Markham"

So where should she go for a good dinner after work ?

I must add that she would rather not travel to downtown  Toronto.
"Toronto rush hour traffic is as bad as New York City" so she says.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:31:52 AM EDT
[#1]
whereabouts in Markham is she? woodbine and highway 7 area?
will she have a car? if so, there are tons of places in pickering, richmondhill, newmarket, aurora, unionville that are great!
what types of food does she like? is she looking for chain restaurants or unique spots?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sorry I should have been more spicific.
She is staying at the Markham Hilton.
She will have a car.
I figure she will be happy driving North , West , and east. Just not downtown Toronto.
She likes unique food places not chains
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I know the area well.
Not far from there, going east along highway 7 she can go into Main Street Unionville.
A very cute little town with small, independent boutiques, restaurants and pubs. All very good!
Thats about a 10 min drive.
If she wants to drive a little bit further to have a nice waterfront viiew, she can drive east about 30 mins or so (depending on traffic) into Pickering
There is the Waterfront Restaurant and The Port. Both are riight at the marina and on the water and usually have live music/bands.
How long will she be here for?
There are plenty of restaurants around her, it will just vary on her tastes and how far she wants to drive!
I'd be happy to give any other suggestions :)
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife and I like Linda Modern Thai, which is in the Shoppes at Don Mills (Don Mills Rd. and Lawrence Ave). A bit of a drive south from where she is but nowhere near downtown. Good food, not a chain. There's an Italian place in that plaza called Fabbrica; we've never eaten there but it's owned by a well known local chef.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

My wife is going to take a series of trips to the Markham area for her company .

She has been there before and ate in the hotel because the only places to eat nearby are a Chinese Buffet and a unpleasant looking Greek place.

That sounds like Markham all right

"Ask the guys where to eat near Markham"

So where should she go for a good dinner after work ?

I must add that she would rather not travel to downtown  Toronto.

"Toronto rush hour traffic is as bad as New York City" so she says.

Yep, true. I was born & raised there. Whenever I go back I do everything in my power to avoid having to drive during rush hour.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:00:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Former Markham resident here. Agree with the Unionville area for food and Markville Mall for shopping. Avoid the Chinese restaurants on Hwy 7 to the west of that hotel.

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 1:46:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Lol, arfcom thinks the best place to eat in Markham is Unionville

Somebody from the Markham visitor's bureau needs to get in here

FWIW we often stay at the Residence Inn on Minthorn when we visit Toronto. We like Marriott properties and that one is a decent value with free parking, free internet, and free breakfast. There's a Jack Astor's nearby which is not bad for a chain. We sometimes will buy prepared food at Longo's supermarket and eat in our room (the Residence Inns have stoves, microwaves, and dishwashers.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 7:33:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys
Unionville it is for most meals and also a trip to Pickering for dinner at the port.

Once we knew where to look it was a gold mine of good places.

My wife has 2 o0r 3 more trips to Toronto in the works so you all have helped her a great deal with the food problem.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you guys so much.
My wife reports that Unionville is beautifull and the food she has had so far is wonderfull.
Tonite shes going back to Unionville again.
Tomorrow night she is going to give Pickering a try

Thanks again for your help
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top