Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2016 10:16:59 PM EDT
I have to go to Montreal and travel around the Quebec Provence by the border for work. I know that bringing my everyday carry knife, Benchmade Infidal, is not an option.  Anyone know if a CRKT M16-14ZSF or a Benchmade 551SBK Griptilian is legal to carry?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:08:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay thanks!  All my knifes and guns are tools so I'll keep that in mind. I'll be flying in/out and staying at a Hilton downtown Montreal and driving each day into the US for work (faster than Burlington, VT).  Any issues with the CBSA and a knife?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:21:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Okay thanks!  All my knifes and guns are tools so I'll keep that in mind. I'll be flying in/out and staying at a Hilton downtown Montreal and driving each day into the US for work (faster than Burlington, VT).  Any issues with the CBSA and a knife?
View Quote

Can't help you with the knife laws, but I suggest you be careful what you say at the border. Canadian border guards get very nervous when they hear the word "work". The fastest way to get sent to secondary is to say you're coming to Canada to work. If you are a "visitor for business purposes" and will be doing all your "work" in the US, be sure to make that clear if pressed. If you're crossing the border every day you will be noticed.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:01:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:06:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I've been thinking of a way to put it without saying I'm here for work. I planned on explaining that I'm only staying in Canada because it's a faster commute than staying in the US and explain my job.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:13:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:38:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#9]
This is the response I received from CBSA...

"Unfortunately, the Canada Border Services Agency is not in a position to answer your inquiry; yours is an issue which should be answered by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), the organization responsible for work permits, study, visitor, temporary, and resident applications in Canada.

As this issue falls under the responsibility of IRCC, we recommend that you contact them about this matter."

On another note, the CBSA officer I dealt with on Thursday in NB on the Border was a dick.

Update: The IRCC will not answer my question.  I have now email all the Canadian embassy's in the US east of the Mississippi.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:27:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I heard back from the Canadian Consulate General in Chicago this morning.  I have the green light!  I'll keep a copy of the email from him just in case the CBSA pulls out a rubber hose on me
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:38:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:41:43 PM EDT
[#12]
It's not like it was in the old days.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:41:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I actually can't complain..I've always had great experiences going into the US and coming back into Canada..

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I actually can't complain..I've always had great experiences going into the US and coming back into Canada..

My wife and I have NEXUS cards which makes the crossings a snap.

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thought about getting one of those but I made a stupid mistake and was convicted of DUI 18 years ago. Isn't that an issue?
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Thought about getting one of those but I made a stupid mistake and was convicted of DUI 18 years ago. Isn't that an issue?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not a lawyer but you need to talk to one. DUI is normally a big problem for potential visitors to Canada. By big problem I mean you can be considered inadmissible. But because it was so long ago, there may relief available. Have you traveled to Canada lately?

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 7:09:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah. About a week ago.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:10:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Well, I'm back from my trip. An overall awesome trip (considering I was working). I decided to aire on the side of caution and leave my knife at home. I went with my tried and true Cross pen and a butane lighter. I arrived Sunday and Customs was quick and the Canadian Customs Officer was pretty cool about everything, 3 questions and have a nice trip. I stayed in Laval, not too bad. Drove into DT Montreal Sunday and drove around a little, very nice. Monday was time for business, a little snow flurries.  I ate diner at a place called the Keg, chain restaurant but really good. Tuesday I drove through some beautiful wine country near VT. That night I ate at a little mom and pop Italian place that was really good but had questionable activities going on. Wednesday I made the mistake of sleeping in and taking the 15. It took me 45mins from Laval to the bridge . After that mess it was 125kph all the way to Sherbrooke. I was so smoked from my day I just bought a 6 pack and some sushi from the IGA, packed and crashed. Left the hotel at 7:30am and was uber surprised to be sitting at the terminal by 8:20 for my 10:30 boarding time.

I haven't really been to Canada since I was a kid so it was an educational trip for me. I was very impressed with the upkeep of homes and personal property. The architecture was very European and beautiful. It seems like there's a lot of pride in the local communities and with ones own property. I liked that people actually moved out of the left lane when you come up close to them, unlike the way it is now in the US. As crazy as Montreal traffic is, I never saw anyone really get mad with the craziness.  There were some jerks out driving but thats expected anywhere in the world. Everyone I encountered was very polite and understanding even if they didn't speak Anglais. Several great beers!  I have to say that I saw several beautiful ladies in the Province, you guys have it made.
My only 2 complaints on this trip would be that...
1- The 15 sucks!
2-SubWay doesn't have Jalopeneos!
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:07:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the followup!

The Keg in QC must be different from the ones in ON. I was never a fan, always had overpriced food and mediocre service... glad you liked the one you went to.

Although I must admit it's been about 30 years since I've been in a Keg
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 3:42:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top