Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2014 11:00:49 PM EDT
I am a dual US/Canadian citizen but my sole residence is in the US. I am planning to buy an 18" barrel Tavor, and I would like to bring it into Canada to shoot with friends on occasion (this would be in BC). Also there may come a time I decide to live in Canada. So having a Tavor legal in both countries would be a bonus.

I am aware that the Canadian Tavor is 18.5" and an 18" version would be Restricted, correct? Could this be remedied by pinning a flash suppressor to the barrel to add length? I don't think 18.5" Tavors are even available in the US.

Can an 18" Tavor be brought to Canada temporarily, or is it a no-no?
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 11:42:24 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I am a dual US/Canadian citizen but my sole residence is in the US. I am planning to buy an 18" barrel Tavor, and I would like to bring it into Canada to shoot with friends on occasion (this would be in BC). Also there may come a time I decide to live in Canada. So having a Tavor legal in both countries would be a bonus.

I am aware that the Canadian Tavor is 18.5" and an 18" version would be Restricted, correct? Could this be remedied by pinning a flash suppressor to the barrel to add length? I don't think 18.5" Tavors are even available in the US.

Can an 18" Tavor be brought to Canada temporarily, or is it a no-no?
View Quote

Since it's a restricted gun you would need to be invited for a shooting competition and then you would have to take it from the residence to the range only, and then you would have to have mags pinned to 5.

If you get the us Tavor rebarreled with a 18.5 it would be much easier to take up here, we don't do the welded flash supressor thing  up here to my knowledge.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 4:59:49 PM EDT
[#2]
You use to be able to weld a flash hider on a barrel to get it over the 18.5" limit, but the RCMP changed that. It has to have rifling in it now. You have 2 options. 1 is you could buy a 18.5" barrel. Or 2 you could just get your PAL and buy guns and leave them in Canada then you do have to screw around with the paper work on both sides of the borders.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I think buying a barrel would be the best option. Are 18.5" barrels available for sale up in Canada? I haven't seen them down here, I looked.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#4]
North Sylva is the dealer/importer in Canada for IWI. They seem to be a wholesaler/dealer only outfit. You can give them a try here. Their webpage seems to be dealer only.

http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Ontario/North-York/North-Sylva-Co-Div-Of-Parklands-Manor-Ltd/1141389.html
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 4:25:15 AM EDT
[#5]
All the Canadian Tavors come from Israel. In the US they are made in the US.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top