Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2014 1:42:10 PM EDT
Well guys not too sure what to say as my first post except that i'm utterly disappointed and quite embarrassed with my recent expensive purchase of a Christensen Arms CA15 Direct Impingement Wylde Chamber

My new 3600 tax included CAD$ Carbon fiber guaranteed less than 1moa Christensen Arms AR15 is a nothing better than a lemon. 600 rounds in, all either firing 55 grain AE or Hornady VMAX 55 grain, no reloads.
What happens is the following:

• 1 in 8 Failures to feed, bullets points clearly catching on the feed ramps, called CA they mentioned this is a known issue with all their CA15, this happens regardless of the many types of magazines i tried.

• 1 in 20 Failures to strike (light primer strikes) causing me to have to mortar the gun to get the live round out

• And 2 weekends ago my bolt release tab completely sheared off and went flying past my face during a quick 5 round. Sheared off exactly where the upper meets the lower, on the weld point of the bolt release tab. Most probably a shitty drunken weld

I called CA, after going back and forth for over a week on the phone, they told me to ship them the firearm under an RMA, unfortunately can't do that since I'm in Canada and I can't ship a firearm to another country. Ca should have really thought about that before agreeing to export firearms here.

I bought it here in BC at Wanstalls, they will try to get it fixed and running by bringing it to their smith, and I'll give them a chance. But this is probably going to take 3 to 4 months. Kudos to them for standing behind a rifle they sold me, I admire that. Nevertheless I strongly suggest everyone stay away from purchasing this rifle. Even if they get all the issues fixed I'm not sure I can trust this rifle to do any competitions at all.

When it does fire though, it is 1MOA, when it doesnt fire well I guess it's infinite MOA.

Here's a picture of it, it looks great, but frankly this thing is a bust:
http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b582/michparent/SAM_0022_zps16c339de.jpg
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Well guys not too sure what to say as my first post except that i'm utterly disappointed and quite embarrassed with my recent expensive purchase of a Christensen Arms CA15 Direct Impingement Wylde Chamber

My new 3600 tax included CAD$ Carbon fiber guaranteed less than 1moa Christensen Arms AR15 is a nothing better than a lemon. 600 rounds in, all either firing 55 grain AE or Hornady VMAX 55 grain, no reloads.
What happens is the following:

• 1 in 8 Failures to feed, bullets points clearly catching on the feed ramps, called CA they mentioned this is a known issue with all their CA15, this happens regardless of the many types of magazines i tried.

• 1 in 20 Failures to strike (light primer strikes) causing me to have to mortar the gun to get the live round out

• And 2 weekends ago my bolt release tab completely sheared off and went flying past my face during a quick 5 round. Sheared off exactly where the upper meets the lower, on the weld point of the bolt release tab. Most probably a shitty drunken weld

I called CA, after going back and forth for over a week on the phone, they told me to ship them the firearm under an RMA, unfortunately can't do that since I'm in Canada and I can't ship a firearm to another country. Ca should have really thought about that before agreeing to export firearms here.

I bought it here in BC at Wanstalls, they will try to get it fixed and running by bringing it to their smith, and I'll give them a chance. But this is probably going to take 3 to 4 months. Kudos to them for standing behind a rifle they sold me, I admire that. Nevertheless I strongly suggest everyone stay away from purchasing this rifle. Even if they get all the issues fixed I'm not sure I can trust this rifle to do any competitions at all.

When it does fire though, it is 1MOA, when it doesnt fire well I guess it's infinite MOA.

Here's a picture of it, it looks great, but frankly this thing is a bust:
http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b582/michparent/SAM_0022_zps16c339de.jpg
View Quote

Did you not know this as well?
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually no i found out after the fact.
Usually exporters go through an importer here like Irunguns, Marstar or North Sylva. This went straight to Wanstalls, so they have the ITAR papers for import, CA has the ITAR papers for export. Unfortunately I think Wanstalls does not have the canadian controlled goods and ATF papers for export, which it would need to send the rifle back to Utah. All firearms in Canada are imported, we don't make our own unfortunately.
Doesn't really matter in my point of view a known defect on a 3000$ rifle should have never left the production line, but that's just my expectations of quality, perhaps I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#3]
That rifle cost you $3600? Wow.

That bolt release looks like the head of a large tooth brush. It's huge.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Just ship them the upper since that is where the problem is going to be found. I had the same problems with another companies rifle and just sent the upper and had it back working great in 5 days.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Actually no i found out after the fact.
Usually exporters go through an importer here like Irunguns, Marstar or North Sylva. This went straight to Wanstalls, so they have the ITAR papers for import, CA has the ITAR papers for export. Unfortunately I think Wanstalls does not have the canadian controlled goods and ATF papers for export, which it would need to send the rifle back to Utah. All firearms in Canada are imported, we don't make our own unfortunately.
Doesn't really matter in my point of view a known defect on a 3000$ rifle should have never left the production line, but that's just my expectations of quality, perhaps I'm wrong.
View Quote

That I can agree with.

Link Posted: 5/11/2014 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That rifle cost you $3600? Wow.

That bolt release looks like the head of a large tooth brush. It's huge.
View Quote

Yah they're expensive due to the carbon wrapped bull barrel and carbon handguard and guaranteed accuracy. I don't mind spending that on a rifle, I mind spending that on a rifle that doesn't frigging work.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 1:24:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry you got screwed in the deal OP. This kind of thing is why I'm not usually a guinea pig.

Hope it all works out well for you.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just ship them the upper since that is where the problem is going to be found. I had the same problems with another companies rifle and just sent the upper and had it back working great in 5 days.
View Quote

This would still be ITAR violation in the states.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 4:57:40 AM EDT
[#11]
The company has to fill out the ITAR exempt repair form and send it to you. Once you get it make sure it is attached to the outside of the box in a packing slip holder for US Customs to read. Also write on the box return for repair. But I can't stress enough make sure the paper is correct and nothing will get seized.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top