Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2012 10:49:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TacticalConcepts]
Hi all

Hoping to have this made a sticky. The ATF has issued a final rule regarding Non-Immigrant Aliens and the use of firearms/ammunition.

This is posted by Cybershooters on CGN:
Basically, endless moaning finally got ATF to seek clarification from the OLC, and the OLC told them the hunting licence requirement wasn't legal for visitors who don't require a visa (Canadians are generally exempt from any visa requirement when visiting the US, or on a work permit for that matter - a visa is a document the consulate puts into your passport, not an I-94, I-129 or I-797 which are issued by CBP or USCIS).

The basic result of this rule change is that if you apply for a Form 6NIA import permit, you will no longer need to supply a copy of a hunting licence or match invitation to get one.

Also, you no longer need this documentation to rent a gun at US shooting range.

I have no doubt the moaning caused by forum members when I asked them to write in finally motivated ATF to look into it, so my thanks to all of you!

The link is here:
https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2012/06/07/2012-13762/firearms-disabilities-for-certain-nonimmigrant-aliens-2001r-332p

I just spoke with a fellow at Enforcement Programs and Services, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives. He is paraphrasing that we (as Canucks not needing VISA's to enter the USA) are allowed to rent firearms and buy ammunition legally.

Further to that, there is a interim ruling on the Residency Requirement for Aliens purchasing firearms.

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2012/06/07/2012-13770/residency-requirements-for-aliens-acquiring-firearms-2011r-23p?utm_content=next&utm_medium=PrevNext&utm_source=Article
here is a summary

The Department of Justice is amending the regulations of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) by removing the 90-day State residency requirement for aliens lawfully present in the United States to purchase or acquire a firearm. The Department has determined that the Gun Control Act does not permit ATF to impose a regulatory requirement that aliens lawfully present in the United States are subject to a 90-day State residency requirement when such a requirement is not applicable to U.S. citizens. In addition, upon the effective date of this interim final rule the provisions of ATF Ruling 2004-1 will become obsolete.
Hope this helps if anyone was confused.

Mark
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#2]
gracias senor!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top