Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2017 11:42:13 PM EDT
Welcome to another edition of "I want to move to your state".

Kidding aside, a few years ago I posted here asking for help looking for employment in your fair state. M1awolf and Elcope helped out a little with possible jobs out there, which I still have the links for.

At the time I was working on getting my CDL Class B w/ air-brake endorsement and taking care of a few other issues I had. I have since gotten my CDL and the other issues have been handled.
For the past 2 summers/falls I have drove for a family friends dairy farm hauling hay and corn silage, which I enjoy. This past winter I worked for a landscaping company that has the
contract for the snow removal during the winter for the on post housing for Fort Drum(very high turnover + skeleton crew). I ran a bobcat with a snow blower attachment clearing sidewalks to start out, 
then later moved into a CDL plow truck plowing the streets after a guy quit. I also enjoyed doing both jobs for the most part, mainly because of the $$, there was a lot of OT this winter.
I decided not to stay on for the summer because its an even worse skeleton crew, would start back at the bottom, and the summer rate would have been a $5 pay cut to be low man on the totem pole to the rate I was making plowing.

Now I really don't have a lot of skills(as what some members said from memory in my original post), but I am mechanically inclined.
I was a 91B(Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic) in the guard and was Honorably discharged, worked a job with a contractor doing the same job for a little while. Worked as a service writer(glorified cashier) and Tire & lube tech
for a while at the local Wal-mart. Took Automotive mechanics in high school and went to college for it, but had to come back home because of family troubles. I do not currently hold any ASE certs though.
Have helped at a buddies repair shop numerous times in the past when he was out of town.

I would like to finding a job driving a truck(dump truck or otherwise) but I'm not opposed to any work, other then food service. I've pulled tits and shoveled shit before so that's no problem.
Not opposed to shift work as long as I can stay the same shift, I did shift work when I got out of AIT before I went to college, but it was alternating shift work and absolutely hated it.
I'm not against getting my Class A if the company pays the training for it but would like regional or local runs.
Would be open to interesting jobs like the Garnet ghost town job that Elcope posted in my original thread.

Also would be open to joining what I guess is a Laborer Union. Close friend of mine from college says his little brother is in one in Michigan. He says one week he may be a flagman on a road job and the next weeks he's doing something else.
Says he makes pretty good money. I don't know if there is anything like that there or not, let alone here in the People's Democratic Republic of New York, not that I want to stay here anymore obviously.

Now I know some of you are gonna say "get a job in the oil field", but most of the driving jobs I have seen on websites for the oil field I need a
Class A and/or have Tanker and Hazmat endorsements which the endorsements cost a shit ton to get here.

I do have some possibly jobs lined up here in NY at the moment, even one with another Arf members business, so I'm not in to big of a rush but would be looking at something possibly for early next spring.
Looking at anywhere pretty much from Billings north to Great Falls and west(Pretty much all the population centers) but would not like Butte as a first option.

Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 2:12:54 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have a CDL, the jobs are very abundant in the state of Montana in many different fields.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:54:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have a CDL, the jobs are very abundant in the state of Montana in many different fields.
View Quote
Going from Indeed and similar sites I see that, but its a bit of a pain narrowing down the strictly Class B CDL stuff from the Class A. I have only used a basic search of "Class B" though.
I did some of the "adventure" companies looking for drivers but I would need a Passenger endorsement for that.

Then there is the whole thing with me living on the other side of the country and that was a problem with the a few of the other employers I had originally applied for awhile ago.

Short of driving out there with what I have saved up I really don't want to spend a ton on weekly rates staying in hotel while looking for a job. That is why I have asked here again in case anyone knew/worked at, a place that was hiring.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:47:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out MT Dept of Transportation.  The maintenance side only has one truck driver opening at current from what I say, but that is right now.  It's over in Baker which isn't a bad place just hot as hell right now.

https://mtstatejobs.taleo.net/careersection/200/jobdetail.ftl
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:16:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Check out MT Dept of Transportation.  The maintenance side only has one truck driver opening at current from what I say, but that is right now.  It's over in Baker which isn't a bad place just hot as hell right now.

https://mtstatejobs.taleo.net/careersection/200/jobdetail.ftl
View Quote
Baker would be way out of my preferred area, but I will keep the website saved.

Anyone know how MDOT would go about hiring someone from out of state? I know here in NY you have to change your political party(to Democrat) just to even get considered for hire. But out of state hires I have no clue on for here.

I suspect I would have to at least show residency most likely. What is the minimum to declare residency? 
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 12:36:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I suspect I would have to at least show residency most likely. What is the minimum to declare residency? 
View Quote
6 Months and Montana state identification, but as we have a low population, they do hire a lot of out of state people to work jobs here..

You really need to start looking at the various state job agencies in the areas you would like to work, as well as sending emails or making phone calls to the state agencies as well as the federal agencies that operate in this state and hire CDL drivers.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

6 Months and Montana state identification, but as we have a low population, they do hire a lot of out of state people to work jobs here..

You really need to start looking at the various state job agencies in the areas you would like to work, as well as sending emails or making phone calls to the state agencies as well as the federal agencies that operate in this state and hire CDL drivers.
View Quote
Yeah I'm browsing websites and bookmarking them. I know when I called the Field Manager in Missoula for the Garnet Ghost town job the past few years(around October) the automated message said they already had people committed for the next season. Plan on calling/emailing them in the next few days as I remember it was a pretty nice deal(stipend for food and some other perks).

Now when I get out there would I be able to immediately swap drivers license and vehicle stuff over or is that after a certain amount of time?
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I applied for my drivers license the day I arrived in the state, in fact I stopped at DOL on the way to the house before we even moved our stuff into the house, beings I already had an electric bill in hand as well as an address established that the bill had been sent to.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 5:33:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I applied for my drivers license the day I arrived in the state, in fact I stopped at DOL on the way to the house before we even moved our stuff into the house, beings I already had an electric bill in hand as well as an address established that the bill had been sent to.
View Quote
Ok, Figured it would be like here for the that, granted its a DHS thing. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 8:01:21 PM EDT
[#9]
The best way to go about finding work is to show up. Many employers won't pay much attention to inquiries from out of state if for no other reason than they get a ton of inquiries from out of state, and few come to fruition.

There are many seasonal jobs. Ranch work, resorts (both winter and summer), snow clearing, road crews, etc.

I've seen many permanent warehouse type jobs listed such as UPS, Fedex, and Lowes.

One of my first jobs after arriving in state was school bus driver. I didn't have a cdl, and never had one previously. The transportation company paid for everything and had me use one of their buses to take the exam.

IMO, it's best to peruse rooms/apartments/houses for rent in the area you want to live, and send payment to one that looks good right before you head out. Then look for work. It won't take long before you find it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:41:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The best way to go about finding work is to show up. Many employers won't pay much attention to inquiries from out of state if for no other reason than they get a ton of inquiries from out of state, and few come to fruition.

There are many seasonal jobs. Ranch work, resorts (both winter and summer), snow clearing, road crews, etc.

I've seen many permanent warehouse type jobs listed such as UPS, Fedex, and Lowes.

One of my first jobs after arriving in state was school bus driver. I didn't have a cdl, and never had one previously. The transportation company paid for everything and had me use one of their buses to take the exam.

IMO, it's best to peruse rooms/apartments/houses for rent in the area you want to live, and send payment to one that looks good right before you head out. Then look for work. It won't take long before you find it.
View Quote
I got that impression after the first few times I tried finding a job out there even though I stated if offered a job I would be out there within a week(reasonable driving time to not kill myself). I have talked to some kind of  job placement service and they said at the time, "We have jobs the would be perfect for you, but you would need to come out here and do an interview with us."

I know there are several seasonal jobs. I won a trip back in 2014 from Marlboro to go to the ranch they own in Clyde Park and initially tried for a few jobs with the company that runs it but being out of state they essentially told me to piss off even though when I was there as a guest there was a employee from South Africa. Tried with Big Sky Resort for a vehicle maintenance position but never heard back from them even after sending multiple emails and calling numerous times. Also tried with Yellowstone Park Service Stations and they told me pretty much the same thing the Marlboro people did. All these jobs were before I got my CDL though.

As I said in a few other post I may just end up driving out there in the spring. Rethinking my original plan I may just sleep in my truck or pitch a tent to save money till I find a place to rent.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:05:42 AM EDT
[#11]
If you decide to do seasonal work, and you do a decent job and finish the season, you won't need to go through the hassle of competing for the job next season. Just make sure you keep in touch with the employers and let them know you're committed to returning. The willingness to plug right back in the moment they need you goes a long way.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you decide to do seasonal work, and you do a decent job and finish the season, you won't need to go through the hassle of competing for the job next season. Just make sure you keep in touch with the employers and let them know you're committed to returning. The willingness to plug right back in the moment they need you goes a long way.
View Quote
That is how it was with the snow removal job I did this past winter. Granted they don't really have much choice then to ask everyone if they would stay cause of the high turnover. I told them it was a possibility in the fall I would come back but some of the jobs I have in the works here are closer and if I got called in at an earlier time I wouldn't have to drive 30 miles through a snow storm but maybe 10 miles at most.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#13]
You might want to check into Knife River, a big construction company that has a lot of work in NW MT.  I think they're Canadian owned, but they hire locally.  Also check with Schellenger Construction the "local" big construction company out of Columbia Falls, MT.  Also check with the temp companies.  They often get requests for drivers with CDLs and clean records.  I'd talk to Express Personnel and LC Staffing.  They seem to place the most employees.  Express Personnel    LC Staffing

For example LC currently lists this opening:   Local CDL Delivery Driver

Kalispell, MT
Order: 39852

Looking to utilize your CDL but want to stay local?

Then apply with LC Staffing for our local delivery trucking position!

We are recruiting for a full-time delivery driver that is willing and able to perform stocking and labor as well.

Why you want this position!

Compensation is $17 per hour to start!

Weekday schedule; Monday through Friday 7am-5pm with overtime opportunities!

Temp to hire position; client is looking for a permanent employee to add to their team!

Local deliveries; no further than Libby and East Glacier!

Position duties include:

Delivering building supplies.

Help with stocking; sheetrock, roofing, etc.

Will be trained on the boom crane.

Will assist with customers on jobsites as needed.

Requirements of the position:

Current Class B CDL with current medical card.

Clean driving record.

Recent work history that shows your ability to lift and carry over 100lbs consistently.

Standard safety practices.

Basic mechanical abilities.

Great organizational and leadership skills.

Call Kennedi or Cassie in our LC Staffing Kalispell Office at 406-752-0191 to learn how to apply for our CDL delivery position.

I also hear Fun Beverage is a pretty good place to work, IF you can get in there.  Looks like they've got a couple openings.  

Fun Beverage

Best of luck.  Post it up if you get out this way.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:23:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You might want to check into Knife River, a big construction company that has a lot of work in NW MT.  I think they're Canadian owned, but they hire locally.  Also check with Schellenger Construction the "local" big construction company out of Columbia Falls, MT.  Also check with the temp companies.  They often get requests for drivers with CDLs and clean records.  I'd talk to Express Personnel and LC Staffing.  They seem to place the most employees.
View Quote
Yeah Express Personnel was the Temp/Job service place I talked to originally.  Also the Flathead Valley is definitely one of the top places in the state I would like to live in, so these links help out.

And I would obviously post here once I am out there, maybe even do some meet ups on to where ever I end up landing.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:37:00 PM EDT
[#15]
When you get out here, do that.  I'll buy you a beer.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:22:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
When you get out here, do that.  I'll buy you a beer.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top