Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2017 3:53:55 PM EDT
I will be moving near Troy in about a month. (from near Sandpoint.....the place has gotten too kalifornicated for my delicate disposition)

I know there is a decent range near the airfield in Libby, but I am in need of a place to shoot out to at least 800 yrds.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't shot at the Libby range in a couple of years but it looks like the max range for rifles is 600 yds.

Lincoln County Shooting Complex

Nice facility though.  I don't know if they have enough room to expand out to 1000.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I will be moving near Troy in about a month. (from near Sandpoint.....the place has gotten too kalifornicated for my delicate disposition)

I know there is a decent range near the airfield in Libby, but I am in need of a place to shoot out to at least 800 yrds.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
View Quote

I feel your pain. Whitefish doesn't want me any longer. I'm thinking Yaak/Troy/Libby area. Spent a few years building a cabin in the Yaak many years ago. Never should have sold it.

There is a spot to shoot 1000yds in NWMT, but it's between wfish and Eureka.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 2:00:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Deep Creek Range in Missoula has a 1000 yd range.

I believe you have to be a member ($40.00 / yr) to shoot anywhere but the public 200 yd range.

Deep Creek Range

I'm not sure you can get to Missoula from Troy though.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:39:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Deep Creek Range in Missoula has a 1000 yd range.

I believe you have to be a member ($40.00 / yr) to shoot anywhere but the public 200 yd range.

Deep Creek Range

I'm not sure you can get to Missoula from Troy though.
View Quote
Deep Creek Member here.

You can't use the 1000 yd. range except during LR matches because of the configuration of the 1000 yd. range there are four other ranges (100, (2) 200 and 600 yds) that are arranged perpendicular to the 1000 yd. range as you go from south to north. The 600 yd. range is at the far end so the membership range side looks like a "L" laid down to the left.  So there can be shooters operating on the side ranges down the length of the 1000 yd. distance if someone decided to shoot down the 1000. A little bit of a safety hazard when the side ranges are checking/changing targets.

When there's a 1000 yd. match scheduled the side ranges are shut down for shooters so the competitors can get their zeros dialed in and some practice.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Deep Creek Member here.

You can't use the 1000 yd. range except during LR matches because of the configuration of the 1000 yd. range there are four other ranges (100, (2) 200 and 600 yds) that are arranged perpendicular to the 1000 yd. range as you go from south to north. The 600 yd. range is at the far end so the membership range side looks like a "L" laid down to the left.  So there can be shooters operating on the side ranges down the length of the 1000 yd. distance if someone decided to shoot down the 1000. A little bit of a safety hazard when the side ranges are checking/changing targets.

When there's a 1000 yd. match scheduled the side ranges are shut down for shooters so the competitors can get their zeros dialed in and some practice.
View Quote
Deep Creek 1K

Link Posted: 7/7/2017 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Your pics do show the 1K range.

I accurately described that outside organized matches members can't shoot the 1K range while others are shooting across it at the same time on the shorter 100-600 yd. ranges that cross the 1K range at the four other positions downrange from the 1K shooting position to the right of the picnic/meeting area looking from the camping trailer area.

The berms in your pics are those that separate the individual bays used for pistol and cowboy action shooting in close to the 1K firing line. The berms further out separate the other ranges that run perpendicular to the 1K.

If a member would want to use the 1K he/she would have to clear it with the organization and have the caretaker/range manager to restrict others from going down range to the other ranges at some specific day. I haven't seen that happen before.

The 600 yd. range is at the far end at the base of the ridge where you can see the 1K target line-up then runs to the left forming the bottom of the "L".

Nice K31. Hope you did well when you shot it there.  

I need to haul out one of my 03A3s or Garands at the next CMP/Service Rifle/Vintage rifle match.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 6:49:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nice K31. Hope you did well when you shot it there.  

I need to haul out one of my 03A3s or Garands at the next CMP/Service Rifle/Vintage rifle match.
View Quote
186 out of 200.

Not bad for a 60 year old rifle with 3.5X scope.

Zach Walker shot his iron sight AR for 172. Nice to have 17 year old eyes.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I missed getting a super nice K31 at the Spokane Gun Show in the mid-2000s. I was waiting for the guy next to me to put it down so I could grab it but he kept it. Have seen one or two nearly nice ones around here but haven't gotten one.

Been focused on Garands and Springfield 03A3s.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:59:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I missed getting a super nice K31 at the Spokane Gun Show in the mid-2000s. I was waiting for the guy next to me to put it down so I could grab it but he kept it. Have seen one or two nearly nice ones around here but haven't gotten one.

Been focused on Garands and Springfield 03A3s.
View Quote
Mine is a ZfK-55. http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/sniper/

If you're looking for a K-31, keep an eye out at the Axmen or the Missoula gunshow or if you make it over to Helena check out Montana Outdoor Sports or Capitol Sports.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks.

Yes, your pic cutoff the rest of the front end and flash-suppressor but the basis for it is the K31 action (with alot of modifications) vs. the earlier Swiss rifle models that used the 7.5 Swiss (a great cartridge).

Your ZfK55 is a real unique Swiss rifle!  Congrats!
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Greetings,
I live on the east side of Lincoln County in the Trego area. We have a small group of guys that shoot long range in the area. There are a couple of places over here that we can go out to 1200 yrds, one on forrest circus, one private.

If you want to travel this far to shoot, contact me and I'll hook you up.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:24:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I feel your pain. Whitefish doesn't want me any longer. I'm thinking Yaak/Troy/Libby area. Spent a few years building a cabin in the Yaak many years ago. Never should have sold it.

There is a spot to shoot 1000yds in NWMT, but it's between wfish and Eureka.
View Quote
Where is it located?  Is it near US 93.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top