Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2017 12:39:34 AM EDT
Might need to move my aging dad out of state? His DL was suspended for an accident he had but he can get a state issued ID. Can he fly with state issued ID? Does Montana have a temporary extension to the National ID airline requirement?

Oklahoma has an extension till sometime in 2018.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 6:05:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Might need to move my aging dad out of state? His DL was suspended for an accident he had but he can get a state issued ID. Can he fly with state issued ID? Does Montana have a temporary extension to the National ID airline requirement?

Oklahoma has an extension till sometime in 2018.
View Quote

Nope, all of our extensions have run out and the Fed's declined to extend again, After January 22, 2018 you will need alternative identification to fly, now I know there was a bill on the table to come up with a compliant DL that would meet the requirements.

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id/montana

If he can fly before January 22, next year, he may be okay.

If you want to look it up the bill is

SB 366
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. Will probably fly him out before years end.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#3]
They did pass a bill so that you can pay to get a new compliant version. Not sure when you can get them, although I have heard they have already started to issue them.

As an aside, I have flown a few times without ID. You just get extra special screening.

ETA: From what I can tell, not signed by the Gov yet.  SB-366
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 3:41:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They did pass a bill so that you can pay to get a new compliant version. Not sure when you can get them, although I have heard they have already started to issue them.

As an aside, I have flown a few times without ID. You just get extra special screening.

ETA: From what I can tell, not signed by the Gov yet.  SB-366
View Quote
The new Montana IDs won't be available until 2018. The first month or two could be touchy.

Also worth noting  that the new Real-ID compliant cards from Montana are completely voluntary. If you don't want to have your info sent to the feds, you can still get the older type of ID. There is an additional $25 fee on top of the normal renewal fees to get a RealID as well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Does Montana have a state issued ID other than a DL? My old man has MS and can't reliably push the brake hard enough to stop a vehicle and his reaction times are way to slow so no more DL for him.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:14:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Does Montana have a state issued ID other than a DL? My old man has MS and can't reliably push the brake hard enough to stop a vehicle and his reaction times are way to slow so no more DL for him.
View Quote
No. The only alternative is a US Passport.

Know what you're going thru since we just restricted my mom from driving.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess I should have contacted the DMV to start with. Just spoke to a gentleman from the DMV and Montana does have a state issued ID that is not a DL. And it is good to fly per TSA till January 22, 2018. Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:01:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I guess I should have contacted the DMV to start with. Just spoke to a gentleman from the DMV and Montana does have a state issued ID that is not a DL. And it is good to fly per TSA till January 22, 2018. Thanks for the help guys.
View Quote
My wife and I have just decided to go a head and get our passport cards, they comply and it allows travel to Canada and a couple of other countries if you want to, last I looked they are good for like 10 years and are less than a hundred bucks.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:17:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Just trying to get the old man from Montana to Oklahoma. $16 for an ID made on the spot is better than $100 and a 3-6 month wait. Last flight my dad will make anywhere.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:46:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My wife and I have just decided to go a head and get our passport cards, they comply and it allows travel to Canada and a couple of other countries if you want to, last I looked they are good for like 10 years and are less than a hundred bucks.
View Quote
My family all has NEXUS. Apply online, but you have to go in to the only place to get them in Montana, which is where I-15 runs into Canada. Maybe a little out of the way for some folks in the 4th largest state, but there are a few other perks that come along with them. Best kept secret: They're free for children.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:46:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just trying to get the old man from Montana to Oklahoma. $16 for an ID made on the spot is better than $100 and a 3-6 month wait. Last flight my dad will make anywhere.
View Quote
I had my Passport renewed in 3 weeks. Had to send the same info as I did the first time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top