Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2017 8:41:49 PM EDT
Just wondering if anyone here can build an MP5 from a receiver flat?
Thx
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:20:20 AM EDT
[#1]
that's a lot of effort. you can just buy a Zenith. Made on the same machines that H&K used to make the original.

As a disclaimer, I work at Selway Armory, and obviously we sell some Zeniths. And I haven't heard of anyone motivating to make one from scratch.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 8:33:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
that's a lot of effort. you can just buy a Zenith. Made on the same machines that H&K used to make the original.

As a disclaimer, I work at Selway Armory, and obviously we sell some Zeniths. And I haven't heard of anyone motivating to make one from scratch.
View Quote
As long as you are putting in disclaimers, you should also mention the fact that Zenith does not make their MP5s, they are imports from MKE. There is nothing wrong with them, quality-wise, and I agree with the recommendation to buy pre-made which is not only all new parts, but also comes with a warranty. I just think it's only fair to warn people that a "pistol" that is only imported as a pistol because the rifles can't be - and is very frequently converted into a "rifle" that they could run afoul of NFA laws regarding parts count in rifles.

MTSNIPER, just beware that if you plan to turn any imported MP5 into an SBR you will run into parts count issues with an imported gun. The same can apply to your flat, if it is being built with genuine HK parts from a de-milled government owned piece. Tin foil hat and black helicopter theories aside, the odds of getting caught with too many foreign parts is about as good as winning the lottery, but look at how many people still buy those tickets.

So, that brings us to the question of what is your ultimate goal for an MP5? Are you happy with a non-NFA variant, like a pistol?

If you're already invested into the flat and a parts kit, and just looking for someone to put it together, I don't know if any reputable smiths in Montana that do them regularly.

I sent my flat and de-milled parts to Red Dog Target Sports in Nevada. At that time they were fading from popularity as one of the "go-to" shops for building a gun on de-milled parts. Their quality is still just as good as it was when they were popular. Dakota Tactical was just getting started and becoming the place to have them done when I had mine made. He would have done it, but his lead times were insane because he was just a one man operation back then. If you're buying a prebuilt gun with the intent of going NFA, Dakota is quite possibly the best there is. I don't know if he'll still assemble your parts, as he's become very active as a new manufacturer. Michael's Machines is even newer in the HK market, and will assemble your parts, or assemble one from parts you provide. The one service I truly appreciate from Michael's Machines, is that they will pre-engrave your information on the gun to make Form 1 process that much easier.

If an SBR is the eventual goal, Dakota Tactical is probably one of the best regarded, domestic, production line MP5s available. He gets parts like barrels that he can't make from domestic sources, and makes the receivers in house. He is also a SOT manufacturer and dealer, so he knows about parts count and isn't going to jeopardize his business over it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top