Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2016 6:51:25 PM EDT
Seems like I hear this every year, "illuminated reticles are illegal for big game hunting"  so I wanted to put it out there--

I've called FWP about that specifically in the past, and illuminated reticles are totally legal.  And in fact, I just got off the phone with enforcement at FWP HQ, and he said that rangefinding riflescopes are also perfectly legal. The only thing they're concerned with are lasers such as the Viridian or Crimson Trace that actually project a VISIBLE dot on the target. Invisible lasers are perfectly fine to use.

Source: Ron in Enforcement division of FWP.

Just so you guys are aware, and can educate those that continue to profess that they're illegal (including Game Wardens )
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 5:26:14 PM EDT
[#2]
archery is where it gets sticky
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 8:17:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I think there is possibly misunderstandings or miscommunications when people ask about "illuminated reticles." Not all FnG employees, or even local LEOs are gun folk. They might hear illuminated reticle, and think you're talking about some other form of "illumination" such as a flashlight, and "spotlighting" game is illegal. They may think you're asking about a laser pointer, which (I've never looked, because I never cared to try using one) are probably illegal.

Then there's that archery angle. You could be talking about a rifle scope, and they might think you're asking about bow sights.

To be perfectly honest, though, I have never heard anything about these riflescope issues before this post.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 1:21:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't use an illuminated reticle - but I have had people try to tell me they were illegal.  I went and read the rules for rifle scopes myself and concluded that they ought to be fine since they don't project light.

I was wondering about things like holographic red dot sights - they do project a holographic image on the screen internally.   I understand they don't project to a target, but some judge somewhere may not care about the distinction.   I wish they would add some clarification like projecting light to a target is illegal.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't use an illuminated reticle - but I have had people try to tell me they were illegal.  I went and read the rules for rifle scopes myself and concluded that they ought to be fine since they don't project light.

I was wondering about things like holographic red dot sights - they do project a holographic image on the screen internally.   I understand they don't project to a target, but some judge somewhere may not care about the distinction.   I wish they would add some clarification like projecting light to a target is illegal.
View Quote

I was checked by two wardens who were very cool a few months back.  They took a liking to my G40 10mm with a Vortex Venom red dot.  No problems with that gear check and they showed me the Vortex illuminated reticle on their SIG issue 7.62 rifle.  

p.s. Looks like lighted nocks may be in the future.

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:34:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I was checked by two wardens who were very cool a few months back.  They took a liking to my G40 10mm with a Vortex Venom red dot.  No problems with that gear check and they showed me the Vortex illuminated reticle on their SIG issue 7.62 rifle.  

View Quote

Good to know.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 11:25:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Cool info to know OP thanks.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 6:51:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Common sense says they should have been a long time ago. I hope you're right, but this is the first I've heard of such a promise.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 10:40:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 6:21:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nock Info
View Quote

Thanks for that link.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't have it in front of me, but the wording on this in the regs are pretty ambiguous.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top