Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2016 8:42:12 PM EDT
Wants to cut MHP budget and will cost 27 Highway Patrolman their jobs.
Glad I didn't vote for that piece of shit.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 12:05:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Cuts to MHP but zero cuts to any welfare programs.  

Why Montanans vote a fuxking liberal dem into office every election is beyond me.  

Fucker is anti gun, pro refugee, and Montanans cant get enough of it.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 12:06:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Uhh. I just saw that. Not sure what the hell he is thinking..
View Quote

He's thinking term limits and his ability to go full on libtard during his final term.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 1:08:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Or the state is facing a $150 million budget shortfall since the Bakken went tits up and all kinds of shit is going to get cut.  Including 27 MHP officers.

I haven't studied the governor's budget proposal, but 27 MHP officers don't cost $150 million, so I'm betting all kinds of stuff is getting cut because our state has real budgetary problems that need to get dealt with.  Now maybe Bullock shouldn't have increased the budget the past four years--but he had Republican controlled legislatures voting it in before he could sign or veto the budget bills--so it ain't his fault alone.

Perhaps, just for the sake of one single working state in a sea of failure, we could back off the brinksmanship, work with what we have and realize that perhaps not every politician is crooked and trying to screw us or stick us with a welfare state and that when you live in an extractive industry state and the cycle turns sour, things get cut, including public safety.

Full disclosure: I live in Helena and my kids go to the same school as Bullock's kids.  He goes to the same parent stuff I go to.  I may not agree with him politically, but he does seem to be a regular guy who tries his best.  He isn't Clinton, he isn't Obama.  He's a guy from Montana who got elected governor and has to deal with our mess, including limited money to pay for government which sometimes means cuts.

EDIT: I went and read the Article.  The cuts come from tying the MHP budget to fuel taxes, income from which decreased and Bullock's budget proposal simply follows the decrease.  The response from FSA MHP troopers is to raise fuel taxes.  So, just to be clear, OP, you want to pay more per gallon to keep your 27 MHP troopers?  Or (gasp!) is a Democrat suggesting shrinking the size of government?!  Dogs laying with cats!

More seriously, though, we have a tiny government.  With a tiny budget.  When oil and gas died in the 1980s, things looked bleak.  We came back but things may get tight again.  Frankly, it's the governor's job to suggest cuts.  Across the board.  And it looks like he is.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:15:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Or the state is facing a $150 million budget shortfall since the Bakken went tits up and all kinds of shit is going to get cut.  Including 27 MHP officers.

I haven't studied the governor's budget proposal, but 27 MHP officers don't cost $150 million, so I'm betting all kinds of stuff is getting cut because our state has real budgetary problems that need to get dealt with.  Now maybe Bullock shouldn't have increased the budget the past four years--but he had Republican controlled legislatures voting it in before he could sign or veto the budget bills--so it ain't his fault alone.

Perhaps, just for the sake of one single working state in a sea of failure, we could back off the brinksmanship, work with what we have and realize that perhaps not every politician is crooked and trying to screw us or stick us with a welfare state and that when you live in an extractive industry state and the cycle turns sour, things get cut, including public safety.

Full disclosure: I live in Helena and my kids go to the same school as Bullock's kids.  He goes to the same parent stuff I go to.  I may not agree with him politically, but he does seem to be a regular guy who tries his best.  He isn't Clinton, he isn't Obama.  He's a guy from Montana who got elected governor and has to deal with our mess, including limited money to pay for government which sometimes means cuts.

EDIT: I went and read the Article.  The cuts come from tying the MHP budget to fuel taxes, income from which decreased and Bullock's budget proposal simply follows the decrease.  The response from FSA MHP troopers is to raise fuel taxes.  So, just to be clear, OP, you want to pay more per gallon to keep your 27 MHP troopers?  Or (gasp!) is a Democrat suggesting shrinking the size of government?!  Dogs laying with cats!

More seriously, though, we have a tiny government.  With a tiny budget.  When oil and gas died in the 1980s, things looked bleak.  We came back but things may get tight again.  Frankly, it's the governor's job to suggest cuts.  Across the board.  And it looks like he is.
View Quote

Fuck Bullock!  I have known him for over 20 years now and have never liked him and I don't like his damn politics!
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:01:33 AM EDT
[#6]
What other cuts are being made?

The downturn in the oil industry may not have as large of an impact to this revenue source as you would think. They still get their 27 cents per gallon (and Feds get 18 cents on top of that) regardless of the boom or bust cycle of the oil industry. With gas being cheap, people may actually use a little more. I'd be curious to see the usage now versus 2-3 years ago when things were booming.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:15:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why Montanans vote a fuxking liberal dem into office every election is beyond me.
View Quote

Because the elitist Empress Martz put a bad taste in our mouths about Republicans, and Schweizer wasn't half bad, and certain better than both the ones before, and after him. I can somewhat see why Bullock got elected for his first term. However, after seeing what he did in the first term, I am severely disappointed that he got re-elected for a second one.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:19:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#9]
How much is the refugee program costing the state or is that all Fed money?  At any rate, people should have seen through Bullock's smoke and mirrors.  He has been in lock step with Obama and would have been much worse under Clinton.  How many options are there here for Medical Insurance???

He has had 4 years to deal with the budget.  Remember this the next time you need a Trooper.

He is no regular guy.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 1:18:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Well he is proposing under that guise that the road tax is down, which is BS, people buy more gas when it is $2.15 a gallon that when it is $3.15 a gallon and the state gets their cut no matter what, also, I want to know where is that large budget surplus we had that was talked about all year long both before and during the election campaign?

Something is rotten in Montana!
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I would guess this is just posturing to set the tone for the upcoming legislative session.

I work for the MHP...I have enough seniority to not be worried about any cuts.  Even without seniority, I would be shocked if we actually see cuts like that.  We're not a large department with a lot of fat to cut.

This next session is going to be highly contentious.

I don't think Bullock is the devil; he is a politician.  I don't agree with everything he does; but I don't think he's a bad guy.  I don't know him personally really well, or anything, but have been in contact with him several times through the years when he was AG, and as Gov.

He's not the emperor; we'll see what comes out of the legislature, and see where the dust settles by the end....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top