Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2016 6:32:56 AM EDT
After working as a correctional officer for almost a decade. After thousands of hours of trainings. After a handful of atta boy letters, a couple of rewards and a few promotions. After countless applications, tests and interviews with numerous agencies. After all of this, one of my life goals has finally been accomplished. A community has entrusted me with being one of their Sheriff's Deputies.

When I got the call with a conditional offer, I didn't let myself get excited. I've gotten these before only to be told I was the second best. Last week, I got a formal offer of employment. I felt a small surge of happiness and excitement. It soon faded with the realization that I had to pack up my wife and daughter and move 5 hours away to a place we've never been.

My wife knowing how important this is to me is in full support and giving up so much for me to do this. So now the excitement is back in full force with my starting day approaching. To accomplish something I've worked my whole life towards can't be described. Growing up with a father who's held every rank in a sheriff's department and hearing him say I'm proud of you, made me tear up.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to share my happiness. Also to anyone who's working towards a career as a LEO and aspires to be one, don't ever give up.

Link Posted: 11/1/2016 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 10:26:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Congratulations!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 2:07:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Which department?
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 8:05:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 11:13:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Which department?
View Quote

I'm not sure I would say he exact department.  Perhaps just where at in the state.  

To many people try to hard to screw ya over on the Internet.

Congrats nonetheless!!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 11:49:27 PM EDT
[#6]
So how's life on the high line? I hear it's really windy.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 8:09:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Congrats on your new job!!!  The high line isn't bad, depending upon where.

Send me a pm and I'll fill you in on more of it.  Hell who knows you might be near me and we can go blast some steel!
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 10:26:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Glad you attained your goal, that is always a great thing, enjoy your new job and be Safe.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 10:01:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Congrats I see it was your 56 th post. Perhaps you are heading to Lincoln county.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 5:40:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So how's life on the high line? I hear it's really windy.
View Quote

That might be an understatement. We use steel chains as wind socks.
I don't want to make it sound like the wind blows ALL the time, but I look out my window and see this:
http://lessbeatenpaths.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/DSC_2491-1024x680.jpg

It's extremely hard to get hired on with most counties, because they all want people who are already POST certified. It costs an agency a lot of money to send a new hire to the academy, plus it takes months before a new hire is able to truly add to the workforce. Most of the time, if they do hire untrained, they lose that person once they do get through all their training, to another agency that the new hire originally wanted to be with in the first place. Highway Patrol used to suffer from that problem a lot, before they got their pay raised a few years back. Other than MHP, I only know of two other agencies that hire off the street on a regular basis.

If you're near Havre, they have a pretty good range facility and fairly active shooting groups. If you're further west, closer to seeing that picture I linked, there isn't much but give me a PM and I might be able to help you.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#11]
congratulations!

It's a good job, and a good career.

Link Posted: 11/20/2016 7:36:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
congratulations!

It's a good thankless job, and a good stressful career.
View Quote

Fixed.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Congrats OP!
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 11:45:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice!  Congrats dude!  I have a BFL in my back window so ya know...*wink* *wink*
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top