Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2017 5:36:25 PM EDT
My wife wants to go to NOLA, but stay outside the city...... so far we have looked at Slidell and Metairie as possible places...... we plan on exploring a few other places as well...... which area would you recommend?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:24:15 PM EDT
[#1]
How far outside the city? Why outside of the city?

I would look at the Covington/Mandeville area. Or look for a bed and breakfast in a plantation like setting that is within driving distance.

Also, have a friend that lives in an apartment off Magazine and she puts it up occasionally around festival time for rent.
There are lots of quaint neighborhoods with lots of character. There are also neighborhoods that I would not go into during the day or night.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:32:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How far outside the city? Why outside of the city?

I would look at the Covington/Mandeville area. Or look for a bed and breakfast in a plantation like setting that is within driving distance.

Also, have a friend that lives in an apartment off Magazine and she puts it up occasionally around festival time for rent.
There are lots of quaint neighborhoods with lots of character. There are also neighborhoods that I would not go into during the day or night.
View Quote

My wife wants to stay outside the city..............we are going to see a few areas other than NOLA, and she didn't want to spend what it would cost to stay in the city
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#3]
If it is a cost thing.

You can stay in the city relatively cheap.
If you know how to shop cheap hotel deals.

Last time I was down there, NOLA in the quarter, was nearly half the price cheaper verse when I staid  in Mandeville.

Now if it is a safety issues then, that is a hole another issues.
But Covington/Mandeville area is nice area.
Nice but not quite the same ummmm lets say charm as in the city.

Is this is a business trip, or looking to relocate, or vacation?
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I would probably think about overnighting several places.

I would rethink not staying in New Orleans and stay around the Quarter or CBD in a decent hotel. I think you will find several reasonable hotels that
are close to everything. Park you car and cover the area on foot or Uber. Lots of great places to visit for several days.
That way you would not get caught up in the work traffic rush in the morning and evening. You don't want to spend all your time commuting
when you are on vacation.

After that head to the burbs like Covington/Mandeville and cover the northshore area from Ponchatoula, Madisonville, Mandeville, and Slidell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top