Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2017 8:50:10 PM EDT
I have never paid more than $25 for a transfer fee.  Ordered a Larue rifle and had it shipped to Jim's for transfer....never asked them the price, but should have.  To top it off, I drove 205 miles round trip to pick it up.

Man behind the counter said Jim is annoyed by so many being thransfered there.  But as I noted to him Larue does not do retail stores, or at least I don't think they do, so ordering is the only way.

When you go in that store, you know the prices are high, but they do have a great selection.  So when I decided to purchase a Silencerco Omega, I did call around and Jim's was $300 higher than where I purchased mine.

While I am glad I have my OBR in my hands, this is the last time I am using them as a transfer.  

Not bitching just informing.

Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:13:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, I learned that lesson when I bought my first AR lower. I had planned to transfer through LA Gun & Reload, but when I stopped by their old location on Siegen, they had closed up shop for a little while prior to them opening the store on Old Jefferson. In a pinch, I swung over to Jim's to get their FFL info instead.  First and last time I'll use them for a transfer.

Now, I use Ferrara Firearms on Airline.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Superior Pawn in Port Allen is who I use. $25.00 Todd over there is cool to work with.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Now, I use Ferrara Firearms on Airline.
View Quote

I didn't even know about this place. Looked them up and they are right down the road from me. Seem to have reasonable prices on their Facebook page.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I didn't even know about this place. Looked them up and they are right down the road from me. Seem to have reasonable prices on their Facebook page.
View Quote

The owner is a friend of a friend.  They're a small shop, but they always have decent prices on ammo and fair prices on firearms and accessories.  Jim's is for browsing, but I use Ferrara for buying.  I also stop by LA Gun and Reload on old Jefferson sometimes, and since they're local, Hebert Guns in Prairieville gets a visit from me every so often as well.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:11:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Sulzer is one of the cheapest and easiest to deal with for transfers imo, literally 2mins from Jim's. He seemed a little rude last time, but I chalked it up to a bad day. I'd give Sulzer another shot

Ferrara has done some work from me, although no transfers. I wouldn't hesitate to use them in the future.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:42:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Jim's does not have a very good reputation as far as customer service goes.  Their employees have sucky attitudes.

There's a couple threads right now on the Outdoor Board on Tigerdroppings about their poor service and crappy attitudes.

I guess they figure since they're the largest player around, they can get away with it.

LC
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 12:49:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Stopped by Jim's today since I was in Baton Rouge with my family. First time I bought anything there in a while. They had some old Ruger plastic cases for $5 apiece and I found a couple that I needed. Other than that looked around and left. Their customer service seems to have gone downhill since they moved from the smaller store across Seigen Lane. I know another store that had better service when they were smaller. I stopped at one store close to Gonzales called Khyber Pass several months ago. Did not have a large selection but enjoyed talking to them.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sulzer is one of the cheapest and easiest to deal with for transfers imo, literally 2mins from Jim's. He seemed a little rude last time, but I chalked it up to a bad day. I'd give Sulzer another shot

Ferrara has done some work from me, although no transfers. I wouldn't hesitate to use them in the future.
View Quote

I've been to Sulzer a few times for transfers. Same experience, but I bought something the last time and he was a little nicer. He has parts in store that aren't too expensive actually.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top