Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2016 11:55:12 PM EDT
Looking for some advice on making a two day trip to the national World War Two museum in New Orleans.
I'd probably fly in one evening, hit dinner and the hotel for the night, tour the museum that day and the following day and fly out the evening after the second day of touring the museum.

I'd prefer a hotel close to the museum, and suggestions close by for restaurants would be awesome !

Since I'm flying I wont have my concealed carry pistol with me but I'm sure I'll survive two days without it lol.

Thanks for any advice and help in advance !
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#1]
The museum is always adding new stuff, which is nice. I think the PT boat they were working on just left though.

Unfortunately, I'm no good with recommending restaurants, since for some reason I don't eat crawfish/shrimp/etc, but Commanders Palace is always up there in others posts.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 12:30:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Convention Center is where I stayed, which was nice (about 1/4 mile away). The Downtown Marriott at the Convention Center is also within walking distance.

Idk what you're looking to spend on dinner, but Emeril's is delicious fine dining. Cochon also comes highly recommended, although I haven't tried it myself.

Why not bring your carry piece in checked baggage? It's not a big deal. You can even buy/print the baggage tag at the little kiosks (or in advance) and bring it to the luggage drop-off counter in your bag. All you have to do is declare it unloaded to a counter agent there, and sign a little form. You can have it loaded on your person again before you walk outside of the destination airport.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#3]
As stated above, you could always check your pistol if you want.

To your post, first, an observation:  to avoid having the whole trip be a rushed affair, I would really suggest making it a day or two longer.

As to where to eat, well, I'd need to know what you like to eat or want to eat to give any serious suggestions.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:33:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I've just never traveled by plane with a firearm before, so it probably seems more complicated to me than it should be.
Do you keep ammo inside the case ?
Locking storage case for the pistol?

Not even sure the museum allows concealed carry ( not that it stops me at 95% of the places around home )

I assumed two days of touring would be plenty. It's tough for me to leave home, I live alone with two dogs so finding help to watch them can be tough.

As for the food, I'm pretty simple, burgers or steaks, pasta / chicken. I'm easy to please as long as the place isn't aweful lol.

Thanks for the help so far. I'll put more consideration into the conceal carry and probably start planning for after Christmas / New Years
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:09:51 AM EDT
[#5]
One of those $15 cheap plastic hard cases is fine. It just needs a hole for a lock. Put one of those crappy TSA locks on it. Put it where it's easily retrieved without opening the whole suitcase. I usually slide mine between some clothes, in line with the zipper. Have whatever ammo all in a factory box somewhere else inside the suitcase. Don't have any loaded mags.Then declare it when you hand it over to be conveyor-belted at the indoor counter (no curbside).

The museum has signs prohibiting firearms, but no security screening of any kind. All they can do is ask you to leave, as they could of course do with anyone else. Don't attract attention and there won't be any.

Aren't there any kennels or pet boarding services near you?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've just never traveled by plane with a firearm before, so it probably seems more complicated to me than it should be.
Do you keep ammo inside the case ?
Locking storage case for the pistol?

Not even sure the museum allows concealed carry ( not that it stops me at 95% of the places around home )

I assumed two days of touring would be plenty. It's tough for me to leave home, I live alone with two dogs so finding help to watch them can be tough.

As for the food, I'm pretty simple, burgers or steaks, pasta / chicken. I'm easy to please as long as the place isn't aweful lol.

Thanks for the help so far. I'll put more consideration into the conceal carry and probably start planning for after Christmas / New Years
View Quote

In that case I highly recommend LaBoca, an Argentine steakhouse, and the best steak in the city.  When you walk out of the WWII museum on Magazine St., head towards the French Quarter a block, then when you get to St. Joseph St., turn right and head for the river for a couple blocks until you hit Tchoupitoulas St., and you'll be right there.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:17:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Aren't there any kennels or pet boarding services near you?
View Quote

There are, but my old dog has some hardcore separation anxiety. He's fine at home, put him in a kennel for a few days and hes not the same for a week or two after. at 9 and a 1/2 yards old I want to do whats easiest for him.

My mother usually runs over to my house a couple times a day to take care of them, feed them and let them out, and a employee of mine does also ( I pay him for this ) but, they both live 15-20 minutes away so its kind of time consuming for them to help.  They are always willing though.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There are, but my old dog has some hardcore separation anxiety. He's fine at home, put him in a kennel for a few days and hes not the same for a week or two after. at 9 and a 1/2 yards old I want to do whats easiest for him.

My mother usually runs over to my house a couple times a day to take care of them, feed them and let them out, and a employee of mine does also ( I pay him for this ) but, they both live 15-20 minutes away so its kind of time consuming for them to help.  They are always willing though.
View Quote

Ah, understood.  I'm sure if this was GD someone would be throwing some shade, but no matter the destination, I ain't staying longer than needed if it would cause hurt to my dog to do so.  That said, I still stand by my suggestion above about LaBoca.  It ain't what most would consider "typical New Orleans" fare, but over in the tourist areas you are not going to find much that is truly exceptional in the New Orleans cuisine department anyway, not without the ability to stay longer and sample more things.  I mean, you could get an idea by going to Antoine's or Galatoire's, but they are pricey and dressy, and (especially in the case of Galatoire's) geared more to a proper New Orleans dinner out, complete with lots of booze and the requirement that you have no need to do anything early the next day.

So my suggestion is come see the museum, eat the best steak you will ever have, and head on home to play with your puppy.  (As a side note, I generally find that no matter the pedigree of the steakhouse, given the right cut of meat I can make a better steak here at home for less money----this does *not* apply to LaBoca.  I live less than a mile from a butcher's that sells near-perfect steaks, and will cut them as thick as I want---I mean, the missus loves her some filets, but for me and any guests around, a 2 inch thick ribeye or strip, depending on preference, from them done on the grill just right beats any steakhouse I've ever eaten at.....except the aforementioned LaBoca.)

One side note if you do go to the restaurant I suggested:  the sides are *huge.*  If alone, rather than ordering two or three, order their sampler platter of appetizers.  It will still be more than you can eat and still eat the whole steak, but a better idea in general.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:32:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ah, understood.  I'm sure if this was GD someone would be throwing some shade, but no matter the destination, I ain't staying longer than needed if it would cause hurt to my dog to do so.  That said, I still stand by my suggestion above about LaBoca.  It ain't what most would consider "typical New Orleans" fare, but over in the tourist areas you are not going to find much that is truly exceptional in the New Orleans cuisine department anyway, not without the ability to stay longer and sample more things.  I mean, you could get an idea by going to Antoine's or Galatoire's, but they are pricey and dressy, and (especially in the case of Galatoire's) geared more to a proper New Orleans dinner out, complete with lots of booze and the requirement that you have no need to do anything early the next day.

So my suggestion is come see the museum, eat the best steak you will ever have, and head on home to play with your puppy.  (As a side note, I generally find that no matter the pedigree of the steakhouse, given the right cut of meat I can make a better steak here at home for less money----this does *not* apply to LaBoca.  I live less than a mile from a butcher's that sells near-perfect steaks, and will cut them as thick as I want---I mean, the missus loves her some filets, but for me and any guests around, a 2 inch thick ribeye or strip, depending on preference, from them done on the grill just right beats any steakhouse I've ever eaten at.....except the aforementioned LaBoca.)

One side note if you do go to the restaurant I suggested:  the sides are *huge.*  If alone, rather than ordering two or three, order their sampler platter of appetizers.  It will still be more than you can eat and still eat the whole steak, but a better idea in general.
View Quote

Second LaBoca!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top